• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Yellow Pellets in Barrel - 22WMR Anybody Seen This Before?

PowerLine

Private
Minuteman
May 2, 2012
USA
I just got a new Fedderson barrel for my CZ455 and got the chance to shoot it yesterday. As I packed up my eqt, I noticed these little yellow pellets in the barrel and on the muzzle. My suppressor is full of this crap. Ammo was Winchester 30gr. V-Max in 22WMR. Has anybody seen this before? Any idea what it is? I'm guessing primer compound but I'm really not sure. It's gumming up the can bad enough that I'm concerned about a baffle strike. There was a mound of this stuff visible when looking through the bore.

Attachments

• photo56630.jpg
    photo56630.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 113
  • photo56631.jpg
    photo56631.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 78
Just powder residue. 22 is a low pressure round and thats why this crud shows up.

It's unburned powder. Kinda looks like a scaled down kernel of Hodgdon Benchmark..

I've been seeing the same thing in my bore and can for about 500 rounds of the 30 grain vmax and the A22 load.

The striker mod helped some with mine, but whatever that powder is it's borderline inappropriate for the 22wmr.

I'm waiting to see if hot weather makes a difference. Despite the unburned powder, both rounds shoot MOA for me at 100yds..

Thanks for the replies. A little pyrotechnical experimentation confirmed that it's unburned powder. I feel kinda tarded for asking, but it seemed small to be powder... That amount of unburned powder seems EXCESSIVE. Shooting was done at 63F. Advertised MV is 2250; I was getting 2100 to 2140 out of my 21.5" barrel. I wonder if a longer barrel would help alleviate the problem? I think I'll definitely have to do the striker mod. Was hoping to stay away from that as I do use my 455 VPT as a switch-caliber system. But I guess I can just as easily swap out strikers when I swap barrels.

Anecdotal info: 3-shot groups at 60 yds started around 3" and shrunk to .8" CTC as everything settled in. Will be interesting to see where this ammo ends up stabilising accuracy-wise.

I got into the 22wmr for a PDog hunt I'm doing in July, which I'd really like to use a can for. At this point, I'm thinking I'd better not risk the can.

Could switch ammo, but I have 1K rounds of this stuff to burn...

I'm shooting the stuff through an unusually nice CZ factory barrel. I really wish I had a POS barrel that was rough to see if it helps make enough pressure to get a better burn. Just for the sake of curiosity.

My rifle will hopefully see some use on prairie dogs this summer, too.

I have a 1 inch round plate at 120yds and have little trouble getting 4 and sometimes 5 hits in a row with the 30 grain vmax. I do start out on the 2 inch to get the wind, tho.

The gophers digging holes along the sides of my driveway are getting scarce for some reason..... Fuck em, I'm tired of bouncing around on the Kubota and messing up my mower blades.

I'd be pretty ecstatic with consistent 1" at 100 yds. I suspect I'll end up closer to 1.5" but who knows? The Feddersons are supposed to be pretty accurate. I've only got 25 rounds down the tube, so it's not even broken in yet. Good to know the Winchester ammo is capable of being that accurate. I've heard mixed reviews on it.

I did a quick Google search and couldn't find a 22wmr barrel longer than 21" for the CZ 455, so I guess I'm just stuck with slinging pellets.

Yep - powder residue/unburned powder. My son uses that ammo and another Federal 30g in his 22 WMR for prairie dogs too. I think they load it hot for performance and with the light 30g Vmax bullet there is a good bit that ends up not burning. He has a Marlin with a 3-12x scope. It is good for routine kills out to about 150y and occasional hits out to 200y. The winds start to mess with it bad past 150y though. We usually transition to the 17's or 223 out past that.

Irish

Could be pollen from an amorous .218 Bee. Just say'n. ;)