• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Yes, another "which scope" question

Wannabeinotc

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2014
MN
I have a Rem 5r .308 on order that is due in the next month or so and was looking at the new Steiner 5x-25x56mm T5Xi for it.

The range I belong to only goes to 600yds so getting out past that won’t happen that often (though I’m not ruling it out).

Now I’m looking at the price of the Steiner Military 4x-16x50 at EruoOptic and that is pretty attractive. I want to keep it under $2k, the lower the better but I’m willing to spend the money on something worth it. Hell, when rifle shopping a few months ago I figured a Viper PST would go on it.

I was also figuring a NXS if the new T5Xi took too long to get but think I want to try FFP, why I'm considering the two Steiners.

Do you ever miss not having that extra magnification? Does the big T5Xi seem like overkill for paper/steel shooting out to 600? I have a Zeiss with a mil-dot reticle and I’d like to try something else which may be holding me back some too on that Military Steiner. Is this all personal preference or am I missing something altogether?

For 1000 yards generally you'd want a 21ish power scope like the bushnell ers . If you want to stay at the 600 yard with
Occasional added distance the 4-16 should suit you provided the scope you want has the features you want.

For under 2k you can definitely get up to 25+ power depending on which scope you get. But it really depends on what you're shooting at size wise (minute of man vs fine minute details).

Everyone should be able to hit a 600 yard man sized target with a 10x at least but more magnification offers details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the bottom is 4 vs 5, not much difference. Top end 16 vs 25, big difference. For me it would be an easy choice. 5-25 and probably do most shooting on 18ish power with the occasional 25 power stage.

I have never shot a Steiner rifle scope ( I do have a pair of their binoculars). I guess on my part it is hard to see how you could go far wrong on the kind of smoking deal EuroOptic is offering. If you did not love the scope you could get back most of what you put into it and move on.

Better to have the extra magnification and not need than to need it and not have it Imo.

Never heard someone say "I wish I didn't max out the HP on my boat!"... Sorry, but I spend time on some fishing forums...

I agree and my only other range rifle is an AR with a 4.5-14x and I know I wouldn't be happy with less. Just wasn't sure if that much extra magnification was truly worth it or what other factors with the reticle I may be missing.

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I'll give the counter...

I rarely turn my 3.5-21 power DMR scope up past 18 for anything. In competition, 15x is about where I stop. Higher power just seems to be a bad compromise for me when it comes to field shooting. If I did primarily long range paper punching, I expect it'd be a different story. I want a friendly eyebox to lower strain and aid in spotting hits, and 15x is plenty to engage the targets I encounter.

Got my eye on a Gen 2 Razor, and am thinking I should go 3-18 instead of 4.5-27, because I just don't know when I'd use the top end. My only hold up there is if the extra objective size on the 4.5-27 makes the 12-18 power range more user friendly, it could be worth the cost and size.

Stick with the Steiner T5Xi. Should be out soon and do everything you want well and more! You'll have it forever and never "out grow" it.

Don't worry your decision has been made for you. Euro Optic is sold out of the 4x16. I called them on Friday all set to buy one!

The Steiner Scopes are very nice. Also looking at the Burris XTR II I have been very pleased with they what I see in them. They Bushnell HDRM scope are outstanding scopes also.

Mike @ CSTACTICAL