• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Yet, another .338 reloading question.

Cosmic338

Ammo will become Currency
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2020
United States
I have 2 100rd boxes of 300 gr Berger OTM Hybrid bullets .338 dia. I read that in order to properly seat VLD or Hybrid bullets you’ll need a different seating stem? The only ones I’ve found are for Redding dies and I have an RCBS seating die. I also read that normal Redding comp dies require a different seating micrometer to get the bullet COAL to the proper length with these VLD or Hybrid bullets. Am I reading too far into this stuff? I don’t want to spend 180$ for a seating die, 50$ for the new VLD Micrometer, and a 30$ seating stem. Also to mention that I’ve dropped some bullets into my RCBS seating die and it doesn’t lean or wobble around.

I've just been using the 2 die Type S FL bushing die with the micrometer seating die. If you don't get the VLD seating stem, you'll get a bit of a ring on the bullet... but I don't really think it would make much of a difference. It didn't change anything when I swapped the original seating stem for the vld one on paper. I just use the Hornady anvil to get a good ogive measurement.

I'm certainly not a pro, but I'm able to get consistent seating for my .5moa paper objective. I'm sure there are plenty of ways to do it, and others will weigh in.

I've just been using the 2 die Type S FL bushing die with the micrometer seating die. If you don't get the VLD seating stem, you'll get a bit of a ring on the bullet... but I don't really think it would make much of a difference. It didn't change anything when I swapped the original seating stem for the vld one on paper. I just use the Hornady anvil to get a good ogive measurement.

I'm certainly not a pro, but I'm able to get consistent seating for my .5moa paper objective. I'm sure there are plenty of ways to do it, and others will weigh in.
Thanks. Well that other micrometer thing I said I guess is a whole different deal. I guess I could get the Redding comp seat die with the part#55733 seat stem for VLD...