• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Yet another bipod thread

briggss3

Private
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2020
OK. New to precision shooting. I have a RPR 6.5CR with Athlon Cronus BTR. These were 3 groups on a cheap ass public range bench and bags at 200 yds into a 10-12 mph headwind.

20211108_162556.jpg
I want/need to add a bipod. But after reading these threads, I am confused on a few things.

1. Do the cheaper bipods, specifically Harris and Magpul, reduce accuracy or is it negligible? Trying to justify the better bipod, but is it more or less not needed?
  2. Mlok adapters, or do quality products like Atlas offer a direct Mlock bipod mount?
  3. If no to #2, what's the common attachment adapter for bipods to Mlok?
  4. Height? I guess a common need will be varmint hunting from a truck bed and simple bench range shooting.
  5. If Atlas, which one? Psr, Cal, Gens?
I don't mind putting out for the Atlas if the added costs are needed to keep accuracy and make a difference.

Skip the Magpul, Atlas and TBAC are both high quality. CkyePods are excellent also but expensive af.

1.) Harris is fine, but needs some upgrading from the base model to be decent. I don't think it "reduces" accuracy, but bipods are like any other shooting tool, improper use will yield suboptimal results. You have to learn proper bipod technique, ultimately.
2.) Not sure, actually, the three adapters I've seen are sling stud (basically garbage), Picatinny (good), and ARCA (better). The latter two are typically in a quick-disconnect format. It's kind of a big step from where you're at, but if you stick with it there's a good chance you'll end up with a full-length ARCA rail on your forend and ARCA adapters for bipod/tripod.
3.) See above. I'm sure there's an Mlok something or other out there too.
4.) Honestly? Neither of your scenarios require a bipod, just a fairly tall front bag. You might even find you shoot better with that way. That said, if you choose to use one (nothing wrong with doing so), assuming you're sitting in both of those scenarios you only need the short variety as long as the legs extend a few inches. Range of 5" to 9" on the Atlas BT65 (CAL) is perfectly adequate for those and prone as well, as long as you're not in the grass.
5.) CAL. Specific model depends on your mount choice.

Hopefully someone who's dealt with the MLok option can help out, but the BT65-LW17 plus a little Pic rail that attaches via Mlok would get you there.

Let's just admit what we all really know. Harris are shit. If you love having your rifle bounce all over the place ('cause it's ON SPRINGS) and having to modify your shooting position to add tension on the rifle to avoid this hop, I guess it's a great choice.

I'm not going to plug our bipod other than to say when we made it, we combined the good from the bipods we liked and didn't include the stuff we hated.

For myself, there are 4 bipods I still use:

1. Ours, see above
2. Magpul. For when I want it super lightweight. (Downside, not really QD)
3. The old Parker-Hale-style AI spigot bipod. For when I'm shooting an AW/AWM. There's no substitute. This is a fantastic bipod to use in the field.
4. The Elite Iron bipod. This cannot be beat on big, heavy rifles like ELR's or 50's. So stable.

Let's just admit what we all really know. Harris are shit. If you love having your rifle bounce all over the place ('cause it's ON SPRINGS) and having to modify your shooting position to add tension on the rifle to avoid this hop, I guess it's a great choice.

I'm not going to plug our bipod other than to say when we made it, we combined the good from the bipods we liked and didn't include the stuff we hated.

For myself, there are 4 bipods I still use:

1. Ours, see above
2. Magpul. For when I want it super lightweight. (Downside, not really QD)
3. The old Parker-Hale-style AI spigot bipod. For when I'm shooting an AW/AWM. There's no substitute. This is a fantastic bipod to use in the field.
4. The Elite Iron bipod. This cannot be beat on big, heavy rifles like ELR's or 50's. So stable.
Dang it. Maybe I should go TBAC to match my next OCD item, suppressors (Ultra 9). I guess I need to learn about ARCA mounts now.

Magpul and Harris are fine for quick n dirty but not optimal for a precision rifle.

CAL and SCAL are pretty awesome

Elite iron is fantastic.

I really want to try a tier one evolution

Last edited:
Reactions: Average guy
I have both magpul and tbac. Magpul is very light with the direct mlok mount (not qd), but very plastic and kinda floppy. Tbac is super nice and also very light, but a bit bulkier and so expensive (and pretty) that I’m not inclined to bash it off of things and what not.

Do these quality bipod (or tripods) show up often in the classifieds or do I just need to budget and pony up?

They show up all the time, just keep an eye out. There was an Atlas V8 that just sold, there's an $800 CkyePod triple-pull still up for sale, TBACs come up every now and then. Lots of goodies in the PX :)

Get yourself a Harris and take a precision rifle class with the money you saved. The Harris is still relied upon by talented shooters all over the world. I'm not saying it's the best. But having tried many of the bipods mentioned in this thread, the small and sometimes unique features they offer are going to be tough for you to recognize the value in at this time.

Quality instruction will instill good habits and have you shooting better than you ever thought possible. Moreover, with time and knowledge, you will begin to understand what features you want in a bipod for the type of precision rifle shooting you have naturally gravitated too. Buy once, cry once only works if when your knowledge level (not cost) dictates the gear you choose.

Reactions: BravoXray
Magpul and Harris are fine for quite n dirty but not optimal for a precision rifle.

CAL and SCAL are pretty awesome

Elite iron is fantastic.

I really want to try a tier one evolution

Get yourself a Harris and take a precision rifle class with the money you saved. The Harris is still relied upon by talented shooters all over the world. I'm not saying it's the best. But having tried many of the bipods mentioned in this thread, the small and sometimes unique features they offer are going to be tough for you to recognize the value in at this time.

Quality instruction will instill good habits and have you shooting better than you ever thought possible. Moreover, with time and knowledge, you will begin to understand what features you want in a bipod for the type of precision rifle shooting you have naturally gravitated too. Buy once, cry once only works if when your knowledge level (not cost) dictates the gear you choose.
Thanks for this advice. I am 52, hunted and shot guns since a young kid. I am serviceable but know little about field adjustments for longer range shooting.

My main goal is my 2 teens. I want them to learn correct with decent gear. I bought the RPR since it's cheap and shoots tight right from the factory. I invested in an Athlon Cronus.

And now I am looking at getting my oldest into PR and enrolling him in the Lvl1 course in April put on by CR2.

For me otherwise, I want to be set up for coyotes and other varmints. Right now I think my money is best spent on suppressing and getting a decent bipod or tripod.

Since courses teach prone shooting, I have to move fwd with a bipod. I will keep my eyes peeled for deals on Atlas or other bipods or get me a Harris. Magpul also seems to have some support on the economy end too.

Not to hijack my own thread here, but how do I get choose a great suppressor for the RPR without blowing the wad? Was thinking about an Ultra9. Plus silencer shop is picking up the $200 tax stamp as a promo. Also want to suppress my. 17WSM with a good. 22 can.

Thanks for this advice. I am 52, hunted and shot guns since a young kid. I am serviceable but know little about field adjustments for longer range shooting.

My main goal is my 2 teens. I want them to learn correct with decent gear. I bought the RPR since it's cheap and shoots tight right from the factory. I invested in an Athlon Cronus.

And now I am looking at getting my oldest into PR and enrolling him in the Lvl1 course in April put on by CR2.

For me otherwise, I want to be set up for coyotes and other varmints. Right now I think my money is best spent on suppressing and getting a decent bipod or tripod.

Since courses teach prone shooting, I have to move fwd with a bipod. I will keep my eyes peeled for deals on Atlas or other bipods or get me a Harris. Magpul also seems to have some support on the economy end too.

Not to hijack my own thread here, but how do I get choose a great suppressor for the RPR without blowing the wad? Was thinking about an Ultra9. Plus silencer shop is picking up the $200 tax stamp as a promo. Also want to suppress my. 17WSM with a good. 22 can.
You might consider using a tripod for prone as well; it takes longer to set up that way, but in a course setting that may not be an issue, and you'll find a tripod FAR more flexible in the field while you're chasing critters around. If you're gonna be off the roof of your truck cab all the time it might not matter, but wanted to mention it. Most higher-end tripods can get down low enough to serve the same role as a bipod if your head isn't too tall.

Not sure what you mean by "without blowing the wad," the Ultra 9 is right up there in cost with lots of other offerings. The Dominus is a more expensive option, especially after you factor in the additional cost for a CB brake, so an Ultra 9 with direct thread sounds like a great choice for you (make sure you get the 2nd generation suppressor, they got lighter and quieter about a year ago). I can't give great advice on the rimfire can; I have a Q El Camino and love it, but I bought it before I realized the owner of that company was such a jerk. Lots of rimfire can advice on the "All Things Rimfire" forum here.

Reactions: briggss3
A bipod that works great on a bench (many are designed with this in mind) at a more or less flat range may not have the adjustability you need for hunting in unique environments. That's why @KnowNothing256 recommended a tripod. Having both is ideal.

Last edited:
Reactions: briggss3
2.) Not sure, actually, the three adapters I've seen are sling stud (basically garbage), Picatinny (good), and ARCA (better).

I’m not so sure that ARCA adapters are superior to picatinny adapters if you don’t need the bipod to slide quickly back and forth. ARCA is a useful option if you need it though (especially for tripod use). My ADM quick release picatinny mounts on my TBAC and CAL bipods me are extremely solid with no chance of slipping.

2.) Not sure, actually, the three adapters I've seen are sling stud (basically garbage), Picatinny (good), and ARCA (better).

I’m not so sure that ARCA adapters are superior to picatinny adapters if you don’t need the bipod to slide quickly back and forth. ARCA is a useful option if you need it though (especially for tripod use). My ADM quick release picatinny mounts on my TBAC and CAL bipods me are extremely solid with no chance of slipping.
That's why ARCA is superior, to be able to change the location quickly (or at all). It's not going to be useful in every situation, but it certainly matters in many circumstances. Agreed that both pic and ARCA rails will be solid options with no plausible slipping, as long as all the parts are properly dimensioned and operated. There are a few ultralight ARCA rails out there that weigh almost the same as a typical pic rail, so if light's your thing you're still covered.

Also, if you decide to shoot off a bag the rail provides a nice flat surface, would even work well for benchrest. Those stocks are flat on the bottom for a reason.

Take a look at accutac bipods. They have a lot of different options depending on what your perfect setup is. Made in the USA too.

Go out and have some fun shooting your rifle.
A Harris or Magpul bipod, used correctly, will enhance your accuracy.
So will using a bench rest or bag, with the disclaimer of using them correctly.
Check out the Sniper's Hide lessons.
Years of knowledge are available on there.
Rest assured, your RPR has the ability to provide you with well placed rounds, provided you have developed the technique for firing the rifle accurately.
Have some fun.
👍

I have a TBAC on order with spiked feet added. Are they pricey (upgrading from a harris which was like $150ish?), sure? It's about an 8 week lead time though so you can save up before it ships.

I have a TBAC on order with spiked feet added. Are they pricey (upgrading from a harris which was like $150ish?), sure? It's about an 8 week lead time though so you can save up before it ships.
Thunderbeast, Eurooptic, & Milehigh have them in stock, got my 2nd one last week

I ordered mine through Blake on TBAC a few weeks ago and was told it was an 8 weeks wait.

UPDATE: 5:53pm CST, got the notice my bipod is ready to ship haha.

Last edited:
Go out and have some fun shooting your rifle.
A Harris or Magpul bipod, used correctly, will enhance your accuracy.
So will using a bench rest or bag, with the disclaimer of using them correctly.
Check out the Sniper's Hide lessons.
Years of knowledge are available on there.
Rest assured, your RPR has the ability to provide you with well placed rounds, provided you have developed the technique for firing the rifle accurately.
Have some fun.
👍
Yes sir. I am going to enroll my son in the 3 day CR2 Lvl1 course.

You might consider using a tripod for prone as well; it takes longer to set up that way, but in a course setting that may not be an issue, and you'll find a tripod FAR more flexible in the field while you're chasing critters around. If you're gonna be off the roof of your truck cab all the time it might not matter, but wanted to mention it. Most higher-end tripods can get down low enough to serve the same role as a bipod if your head isn't too tall.

Not sure what you mean by "without blowing the wad," the Ultra 9 is right up there in cost with lots of other offerings. The Dominus is a more expensive option, especially after you factor in the additional cost for a CB brake, so an Ultra 9 with direct thread sounds like a great choice for you (make sure you get the 2nd generation suppressor, they got lighter and quieter about a year ago). I can't give great advice on the rimfire can; I have a Q El Camino and love it, but I bought it before I realized the owner of that company was such a jerk. Lots of rimfire can advice on the "All Things Rimfire" forum here.
Well, blew my wad lol. Just bought the Dead Air Nomad Lt and the Mask 22 from Silencer Shop. They had a free tax stamp deal with the Nomad. I guess I will be working off of an affordable bipod now lol....

Well, blew my wad lol. Just bought the Dead Air Nomad Lt and the Mask 22 from Silencer Shop. They had a free tax stamp deal with the Nomad. I guess I will be working off of an affordable bipod now lol....
Congrats! You’re gonna love both of those a year from now when you can actually touch them!