• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Yet another borescope barrel with chatter question.

sfotex

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2018
Sandy, UT
So my pops got me a bore scope for Christmas and we were looking thru my barrels. My WOA and Criterion barrels looked incredible. The US made Century Arms barrel on my AK-74 looked like crap (no wonder the bullets are tumbling) . The BA and Roscoe barrels looked ok. Then we took a look at my new 22" hand lapped 6.5 CM barrel for my AR-10 and it looks like railroad tracks from chamber to crown/360 degrees around. Is this on purpose? Just trying to learn here, but this was a but of a surprise to see. I know the whole borescope/OCD thing, this one just looked 'off' for a $440 barrel.

Attachments

• Photo_20211227152122.jpg
    Photo_20211227152122.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 442
  • Photo_20211227152214.jpg
    Photo_20211227152214.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Have you contacted Odin Works? If so, what did they say?

It's an Odin Works. Put a few rounds thru it and it already looks like it's catching copper. I will say the tooling marks are consistent thru it.

Reamer marks, button rifle chatter. It can but doesn't necessarily affect performance of the barrel. I've had plenty of button rifled barrels shoot sub-moa with FGMM and better with handloads.

The one negative of a button rifle barrel with a bunch of chatter in my experience is faster copper fouling build up and the groups take a few more rounds to stabilize if you remove too much of the copper out during cleaning.

You can smooth out some of it by carefully hand lapping the bore.

Time to get Odin Works involved.

Personally I wouldn't have even fired it ( YMMV ) ..... those marks are like a file, they will chew up every bullet put through it. (As you have seen in the newest photos.)

Sucks you have to send it back.

Please let us know what they say after you send them the before and after pics.

Time to get Odin Works involved.

Personally I wouldn't have even fired it ( YMMV ) ..... those marks are like a file, they will chew up every bullet put through it. (As you have seen in the newest photos.)

Please let us know what they say after you send them the before and after pics.

I emailed them yesterday, might not hear from them until next week being the holidays and I’ll I’ll update this when I hear something.

Reactions: bfoosh006
That's pretty ugly, personally I'm probably done dropping coin on OW. My first AR barrel from them is a sweet shooter, my second is ok, but walks with heat, fit for the provided GBs is pretty sloppy, plenty of leakage. Also the hardware I got with my last OW handguard is the super soft playdough junk.... Just kind of a flaccid showing all around.