• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Yet another brake question

South tx

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2014
Always preferred not to have a brake because I loathe the extra noise. That being said I now have rifles that are seldom shot when I don't have plugs in. I have a 5r threaded that I wanted to try a brake on and wondered if there were good simple options for a threaded barrel that do not affect poi. Brakes I had in the past were all put on at Vais just up the road, and I don't really want to leave it at a smith for now as it isn't a huge issue, but something I thought I'd check in to.

No where near new to shooting/hunting or anything of the sort, so let's not get too far off track please. Thanks in advance

I'm collecting all the pieces to have someone build me a gun for some run and gun games and I just picked up a Badger Ordnance FTE for the rifle.

Yes they are threaded. U will need the little washers to time it or take it to a smith to have it timed. I just got the correct size washer and slapped it on there.

A year or so back I remember seeing a list of brakes used by some top long range competitors. One of the most used brakes was the Surefire 2 port. That's the direction I went and it works very well.

We are making Procomp brakes now that are almost the same as our suppressor brakes but will not allow the mounting of our suppressors on them. Retail is $59 and it comes with a crush washer so you don't have to time it. You can order them now from our Hide dealers. I can show you a picture of one of my 5.56 versions if you want.

Here you go:

brake | Search Results | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

Per that info, JEC was on the top. I have 3 of their Brakes installed on my 6.5 and 7.62 rifles, and they are great. I did the install myself with the shim kit and a minimal amount of tools (vise, barrel block, wrench)

Watch when you look at some of the manufacturers, some of the Brakes sold must be installed by a Gunsmith primarily because they must be bored out to the proper caliber. While their prices may seem cheap, when you add the cost of this service, everything starts to even out in terms of final cost.

A lot of good options out there, just do your homework on the details.

Last edited:
2nd for Ross brake can't beat the price. As far as performance I didn't notice a shift of aim, also works great let's me shoot all day now. And he will do anything, for my case he turned it down to the od of my barrel.