• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Yet another mount question

Wolffie

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2018
Mooresville, NC
I am new to nv and have a TNPVS14 that I just got a week or so ago.
In anticipation I ordered a TW xfil and scored a deal on a G11 Mount on Black Friday.
I finally got it set up and the mount/j arm don’t seem to work for me.

1 the mount won’t adjust far enough out to lower the 14 without smacking my safety glasses. I need a little more reach.
2 the plastic knob on the J arm that adjusts the vertical/tilt sucks and the 14 keeps moving.

the bayonet Mount isn’t bad on mine.

I almost ordered the MOD armory improved J arm. But can’t find much info on it. Is that a good solution?

Next I was ready to order a g24, and a dovetail arm then discovered the G22e... then, reading the specs, it seems the range of horizontal adjustment is less on the g22 than the g11...

Does the G22/G24 sit further from the face than the g11 to begin with? Will it fix the problem?

Should I be looking at Norotos instead?

another potential issue is that my giant gourd barely shoehorns into that exfil size 2. It fits but it’s snug. Would a larger helmet, aka ops core xl, give me more room? Since the shell will be roomier and move the mount farther out?
So I thought I’d ask the experts. Suggestions?

Go to Fleabay and buy a Norotos Rhino 2 for $50 to $80 bucks.

Then go to TNVC and get a Norotos PVS 15/18 Dovetail Socket for $54.

Then watch this video.

Then get a DOVETAIL Mod Armory single J arm, or if you ever think you might get another PVS 14 and want to run Duals or run a Breach beside a PVS 14, get the DOVETAIL Light Weight Bridge Mount.

This is the best mounting system I have ever ran IMHO. It offers more adjustment than other mounts, is stronger, lower cost and will store your NODS closer to your helmet than others. I have a G24 and Wilcox J Arm and they basically gather dust now that I run the above.

The Mod Armory Single J Arm is an excellent arm, however if you think in the future you might get another 14 and want to run Duals or a Breach beside a 14, I would go on and pay the extra for the Light Weight Bridge mount now. You will save yourself money in the long run.

I will check that out! Thanks! My biggest concern is knocking against the eye pro. So hopefully the rhino will get me there. At this point I’ll even drop the coin on the knight vision joe system if it means I quit wasting money on stuff that doesn’t work.

Will the light weight bridge mount give me enough foreword protrusion to clear glasses and occupations width to accommodate my giant head? Considering the G11 doesn’t.

Will the light weight bridge mount give me enough foreword protrusion to clear glasses and occupations width to accommodate my giant head? Considering the G11 doesn’t.
Yes, the Mod Armory Light Weight Bridge when combined with a Dovetail Rhino 2 will give you plenty of room for eye pro to clear. Also, take note that the Mod Armory Light Weight Bridge even has 2 settings where the Dovetail Post screws into it such that you can put it in one or the other position depending if you want your devices to be closer or further out.

Also, I think you were referring to the Knights Armament/RQE Bridge Mount. I would stay away from that Bridge Mount. Its overly engineered, overly priced and overly heavy when you add up the true weight of the Bridge and Arms. Also, it has way to many design points that will wear after extended use such that it develops slop and wiggle over time. You do not have that issue at all with the Mod Armory Bridges.

Man, just when I thought I had figured all this mount stuff out. I was just going to get a G11, shroud, and soft cap. Then this whole bridge stuff comes up. I watched Frank's video on that Mod Armory bridge and that seems perfect if a person might add another PVS -14 later. This stuff is confusing, though. So is this right? Mod Armory bridge, amount such as Rhno 2 or G11, shroud, softcap? Is that too much weight for a softcap? I would need a second mount for a second PVS-14? Dovetail is best over bayonet? Best mount for the bridge is Rhnn 2 compared to G11 or G24? Wow, I thought rifles and scopes were expensive :giggle:.

@Downtown The Crye Night Cap will handle Dual PVS 14's no problem at all as long as you counterweight it correctly. Same goes for helmets. I also run dual setups consisting of a PVS 14 and a Flir Breach on a Night Cap. Dovetail systems are much stronger and typically wiggle free compared to the Bayonet Systems.

The best most cost effective system you can put together is the Rhino 2 with Dovetail Socket with a Mod Armory Light Weight Bridge if you ever think you might want to run duals in the future, whether on a Night Cap or Helmet. In the thread link below I have photos and further information you can study.

You guys are the greatest. This is excellent advice. Without the Hide I wouldn't know any of this, though I'd probably have a lot more savings.

Thanks for the info. I’ve been running around all day and auto fill on my phone got me. So I meant to clarify. Yes, the RQE bridge was the pricey option that I found. Not really hot on spending that. Especially, since i don’t think this team Wendy exfil is going to last long. I really need an ops core XXL...

Then watch this video.

Then get a DOVETAIL Mod Armory single J arm, or if you ever think you might get another PVS 14 and want to run Duals or run a Breach beside a PVS 14, get the DOVETAIL Light Weight Bridge Mount.

This is the best mounting system I have ever ran IMHO. It offers more adjustment than other mounts, is stronger, lower cost and will store your NODS closer to your helmet than others. I have a G24 and Wilcox J Arm and they basically gather dust now that I run the above.

The Mod Armory Single J Arm is an excellent arm, however if you think in the future you might get another 14 and want to run Duals or a Breach beside a 14, I would go on and pay the extra for the Light Weight Bridge mount now. You will save yourself money in the long run.

Belated thanks for posting this advice. Finally got around to ordering a Rhino 2 and doing the dovetail swap. It is indeed an improvement over the G22 and I can get my alignment much closer to my glasses. I also like it hugs the helmet and I can just push it out of the way without feeling for a button. The G22 has been transferred to the buddy helmet. I also added the 4D pads to both helmets per several recommendations here. Again great advice and a huge difference with comfort. Thanks!

Reactions: WhereNow&How
Belated thanks for posting this advice. Finally got around to ordering a Rhino 2 and doing the dovetail swap. It is indeed an improvement over the G22 and I can get my alignment much closer to my glasses. I also like it hugs the helmet and I can just push it out of the way without feeling for a button. The G22 has been transferred to the buddy helmet. I also added the 4D pads to both helmets per several recommendations here. Again great advice and a huge difference with comfort. Thanks!
You are welcome. Glad its all coming together well for you.

I have a question about the Mod Armory J Arm. I have no desire to ever run dual tubes so does the single J Arm articulate similar to the dual mount system? So that the NOD can be stored closer to the helmet? How difficult is removing the unused arm from the Lightweight dual or does it just make more sense to stick with the Quick Release dual so that the NOD can be moved back and forth quickly and easily.

Yes, the Mod Armory Light Weight Bridge when combined with a Dovetail Rhino 2 will give you plenty of room for eye pro to clear. Also, take note that the Mod Armory Light Weight Bridge even has 2 settings where the Dovetail Post screws into it such that you can put it in one or the other position depending if you want your devices to be closer or further out.

I just put a setup like this together. Cost me 460 bucks total. Used rhino 2 mount is where i save the most money, its spray painted, but brake clean will make it look new again. I can finally adjust my pvs-14 perfectly. First time ive had the ability. Cannot wait until i have something to fill the other j arm, like a nox.

Then watch this video.

Thanks for putting all this together, links and all. Its a sweet setup!!!