• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Yet Another Painting Question

TaylorM

Private
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2008
Cedar Point,KS
I am finally going to paint my first rifle,Howa 1500. Have already decided to duracoat with a digital pattern. Nothing original here. Prep and masking is not a problem. My question is, what do I absolutely not want paint getting on? I know the chamber and crown, but is there anything on the bolt I should be worried about? I'm plainning on using my SATA airbrush from work. Should help to keep mils down alowing for clearence issues. But I'm just not sure what to and what not to paint with all the different opinions. So I figured I'd ask.

Re: Yet Another Painting Question

Sear/cocking piece engagement surfaces, bolt head and lugs are the places I don't paint on the bolt (and action if you aren't taking the trigger assembly off).
If the rifle's bedded, I tape off the parts of the action below the stockline that are bedded as to not put a layer of coating onto where the bedding's done.

Tha's what I thought, but I have seen guys do the whole bolt. What is the harm in doing so?

For maximum digital effect, I paint the entire piece. Of course only the outside, I mask off any holes from the inside to keep the over spray from the inner works. The Sata airbrush should work nice. I also always use reducer for a finer smoother finish.

There is no harm in painting the entire bolt, lugs and all. The only issue with painting the bolt would be if the fit between the bolt and raceways are tight then you could have an issue but if care is taken this can be a non-issue as well.

If the rifle is bedded there is no reason not to paint the entire action. If done correctly you will not build up enough product to affect the fit between the stock bedding and action.

Plug the chamber and muzzle with a rubber stopper and you will be good to go.

If you have any questions feel free to shoot me an email.

DIG35.jpg

DIG23.jpg

Once again I defer to Randy's experience and expertise. My recommendations are made based on my rattle can experience with Alumahyde products and krylon.

Maybe I'll do away with masking the action, my latest rifle's gonna be getting color here soon.....

HateCA thanks for the info. I'm having G.A.P do some work for me. But as soon as I get it back I'll try to get some pics up.

I thought about it, but I want to try it myself. If I fubar I can always send it back
grin.gif
Does anyone know on the Howa bolt there are holes in the bottom. You can see the firing pin and spring. Should I try to keep duracoat out of there?

You are better off taking the rifle down to the individual components to paint it with the exception of the barrel, leave it attached to the action. Unless you are using Krylon this is the better way.

Unless this rifle is Parkerized or has some type of oxide finish you are also going to want to media blast these parts before you use Duracoat or you are going to set yourself up for failure.

Take the bolt assembly apart, remove the base for the action, and so on.

Figured I would tear the whole rifle down. Just didn't know if I needed to tear down the bolt. Am going to glass bead everything before painting. I've been painting cars for years never been this parinoid about getting the job right. With my background I knew I can handle it, just don't want to screw up.

Don't use glass. Use aluminum oxide. Glass beads will only polish the metal