• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes yet another scope debate...

Subxero

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2012
PA
So thinking of getting a new scope for mid to long range varmiting and occasional long range target.

Been looking at 3 scopes in similar price range,

Sightron SIII 6-24x50mm

Vortex PST 6-24x50mm FFP

and

Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50mm

No preference of SFP or FFP for what i will do with it.

This is a hard decision for me to make as i think they are all good optics
and was just looking for some first hand experience with these and what people think especially if you have had more than one of these.

best
joe

Re: yet another scope debate...

if you dont care about ffp why spend the extra 200 bucks on it. go with the sfp 6-24 vortex pst

sure that one could also be included in the list but if i was to get the vortex, i would get the FFP because it is only 200 more for a FFP, i do like FFP better but they tend to be significantly more expensive.

anyone else have anything to say about these?

Joe:

You have some nice scopes on your list...decisions...decisions. I will throw in a vote for a Sightron. I've got two S III's, one 8-32x by 56mm and a 10-50X by 60mm. When I compared the 8-32x Sightron to my 8-32x NF BR scope...they seemd nearly equal as far as my eyes are concerned. Guess I'd recommend this particular scope for your list:

http://www.sightron.com/index.php?action=view_document&did=1201816362&cat_id=6&id=167

Which I think is probably what you've been looking at. They make really nice scopes for their price point...not that the others on your list don't.

Zeiss definately has nice glass, but lacks in the elevation department I am pretty sure. I would go Vortex, good people with a great warranty.

All three have good glass for sure, but how do you beat the Vortex warranty? The only two things they don't cover is theft and loss.

Sightron has better glass than the PST to me and more elevation adjustment. Compare them above 20x to see.

lots of great insight here.

it's nice to hear from people with first hand experience

i like the zeiss, i think you'd be happy with it, but if you want more of a tactical scope you can adjust, that vortex would be a better option. for long range shooting/varmint hunting, i would go 2fp

Just used my PST 6-24 FFP for the first time. For the price and warranty, I don't think you can beat it. Sure it's not the BEST glass out there, but it certainly offers a great bang/buck ratio. I've emailed the folks at Vortex and I do have to say... awesome customer service. I got a set of their binos with my PST and the case's zipper broke. They sent me a new one the following day no questions asked. Others have had more serious issues and Vortex has come through.

I'd go Zeiss. Outstanding glass, even in the Conquest line.
Elevation wise - nothing a 20 MOA base won't take care of.
Turrets - the 6.5-20x50 will come with target turrets.
Warranty - as good & as long as anyone elses.

i have three of the SIII 6-24x50 mildots. of the three id recommend it over the others. look at manventureoutpost.com or theammozone.com for the lowest prices.

SIII is huge

ZEiss does not have the tactical turrets

Vote= PST

I was in the same boat recently. I looked at Viper, Sightron, Zeiss, NF and compared them all. Then talked to some guys on here at length about their choices. And I now have not one but TWO Sightron SIII 6-24x50 scopes on the way. Pretty sure I'll be happy and so my vote goes to the SIII.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GGN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
ZEiss does not have the tactical turrets
</div></div>

What's the practical advantage of "tactical turrets" vs "target turrets" on a Zeiss? Tomato, tomato.