• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Yeti VS. Pelican

RangerWalker71

Suppressor Peddler
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette LA
    gmail.com
    I tired setting up with yeti last June. Still on wait list. Looking at pelican coolers now.
    Anybody got any ? Good bad, what's the G-2? I like their cases, need Intel on coolers.
    Thanks

I have the yeti 65 and 75. Worth every penny. Take them on off road trip, to the lake on the boat. Incredible how long they can hold ice. Only down side is how heavy they are when they are full and they don't have wheels.

I have no experience and have never seen a pelican cooler in person.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394771344.116742.jpg

Here is my 65 on my last off road trip. Only got ice once in 3 days

My folks got me a yeti for christmas. You talk about suprised best gift of the year. I would never have bought one for myself thought they were way to high. but now i will never be without one. Two bags of ice a week out in the sticks its a close as a fridge as your gonna get

I have a pelican it is a great cooler! Tough as nails! Keeps ice longer than I ever need. Latches and handles are terrific! All of these type of coolers are very robust and heavy. But IMO very well worth the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 65qt yeti and my buddy has a 95qt pelican. He made a jockey box out of his which has two 120' stainless coils that beer runs through to cool it from the keg. He can run 100 degree beer through it all day in the heat of the summer and it holds ice longer than my yeti does staying closed with deer meat in it during the fall.

Needless to say, if I had it to do over I would have bought the pelican and saved $100 in the process. It holds ice longer, has better handles, and latches.

I have several yeti's also, 20,45, 65 , they all do very well keeping items cold and holding ice for several days.
    I've never used them, but a lot of folks here in Louisiana swear by K2 coolers also.

Thanks for all the input, sounds like pelican just hasn't been out long enough to get much of a following. I'll have to try one, and do dome side by side testing.

I did extensive research and wen't with the Pelican. Cost was my primary factor in deciding, I suspect they both are great coolers, the Pelican product is just more affordable at this moment.

Nothing wrong with the Yeti if you can get it at a good price IMO

Ranger, get online and look up K2 coolers. Guy here in Lafayette, LA owns the business. They are as good as a Yeti, as durable and hold ice just as long, yet they weigh about 40% less.

I am a dealer for both. As far as holding ice my experience with both is very similar. The simplicity of the latching system on the Yeti wins out. We have had a few warrantee claims from latches breaking on the Pelicans. I would attribute the popularity of the Yeti largely to their massive add campaign but we do sell a lot of them.

I have had both, the only difference i see in the 2 is price. They both perform well. Both hold ice well, easy for a range day.

I looked at those two and Brute last year. Ended up with a set 50 and 75 qt Brutes.

Costco does carry the Pelican coolers right now. IIRC $300 for a 95 qt and $250 for a 65 qt. Unless you can beat those prices, I would not try to sell them. The latches on the Pelican looked like a week spot. They have a few moving parts and are made of hard plastic. Seems like they could break if impacting something in the bed of truck or trailer. I also don't like the circular depressions in the bottom of the Pelicans. Just another place for dirt, blood, etc to collect.

Yeti are way over priced and over hyped. I believe they are made in China now.

I would also suggest looking at canyon coolers in this price range. We have used one for several years elk hunting. It can hold ice/frozen food longer than any other we have used. Ten days into the trip things are still frozen solid.

R

Both are certified bear proof (important for those of use who play in areas with food storage requirements). I've used the Yetis at work and I bought a Pelican at Costco. I prefer the latches on the Pelican.

I have a Yeti 150 that I used for commercial fishing.
    Another side gig I had for a while.
    I happened to get a deal when a friend was setting up a distributership
    and got 3 at a very heavy discount.
    I would only be concerned about the Pelican latches as mentioned earlier.
    For what I was doing a failing latch could be expensive.
    Around the house the Pelican may be a more simple answer
    espically for the wife n kids. The Yeti is really tight.

i have the pelican 95 q.this is the best cooler i have bought.week long camping and quadding trips in the canadian rockies and dont have to worry about getting more ice,they are heavy great handles for 2 to carry,pelican all the way

Looks like that field of gear is improving, Igloo has a series out now to compete as well. I looked at the sportsman series and it is very close to yeti except the lid hinge is not full length. Igloo also has a Yukon line with even more insulation but the handles are formed into the sides and they stick out far.

I second the Igloo. I got to look at all three side by side, the huge advantage to the Igloo is that it had wheels the other two do not. The advantage to the Yeti ( the other may do this but are not advertised to ) is that it will take dry ice with out cracking the cooler.

Got a Brute 50 qt. this year, made in U.S. Like the handles both molded and rope, divider is nice also. The dry goods tray is not worth what it cost but the rest is all good.