• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors YHM .308 Can-QD indexing for POI shift?

jfc5t

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2009
Lynchburg, Virginia
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the POI shift for the YHM .308 Phantom and If indexing the can to the QD give a consistent POI shift. I own this can and I have indexed it but have not had the time or ammo to test it. Is the indexing a waste of time?

Re: YHM .308 Can-QD indexing for POI shift?

I am curious of the POI shift but repeatability as well with the QD.

I like it when you post randomly!

As for reliability the QD threads are pretty stout I just haven't had it long enough to see how the spring holds up. But my guess is for worst case scenario you can just buy another QD.

Can't help too much yet. Thats what I like about my M4-2000, easy to index. If I put the can back on at the same index point, it shoots to same POI it did before I removed it. AAC has a good system.

My Phantom, on my last range trip I market the can with paint. So I could put it back on at approx. the same spot. Just havn't been back to the range to verify yet. It would be nice if the Phantoms were easier to index. The coating is coming off my Phantom, so I will need to put a deep scratch in it to mark it for indexing. I think it will work out though.
smile.gif

Yeah I indexed it by scratching beside one of the notches on the can and scratching beside one of the tits on the QD so that the tit falls in the same notch every time. But just don't have any verification of success.

Well I went and Shot a few rounds at 100 Yards twice this past month and the zero remained the same. So if there is a POI shift it mus be pretty small. I can't wait to test out the indexing past 500 yards.

Thanks for the update, I should have some results from my can, to produce next week. Ill keep you posted.

I have a YHM .556 stainless QD on my GAP AR15. POI shift is VERY consistent. .2 mil left and .1 mil down when the suppressor is installed. I have not had good success with a couple of other QD types so I confirmed this one by installing/shoot, removing/ shoot 10 times one day. I'm happy with it.

Hope this helps,
Trilogymac

Just got to shoot my YHM Phantom QD 762, @ 100 POI was 1 MOA down, and 1 MOA right. Damn impressed with the accuracy as well.

Id love to know how you index a can with a single start thread... marking the can is completely pointless because its not possible for it to stop at a different position. To say its difficult to index a YHM QD can is idiotic, you just thread it on...how difficult is that????

Have you used the YHM QD (quick detach) system? It is absolutely possible to for it to stop at different positions. It only depends on how tight you screw it on. Installing the QD to the rifle should not require indexing but this thread is about indexing the Can to the QD for consistent POI shift after removing and reinstalling the Can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dudeman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you used the YHM QD (quick detach) system? It is absolutely possible to for it to stop at different positions. It only depends on how tight you screw it on. Installing the QD to the rifle should not require indexing but this thread is about indexing the Can to the QD for consistent POI shift after removing and reinstalling the Can. </div></div>

yes ive used the YHM QD system. On mine when you put the can on the mount and tighten it down it stops at the same spot everytime...you know why?...cuz the thread stops. I think people are confused about the issue of timing a silencer. AAC makes a nifty mount with multiple thread starts that actually allows timing to happen. With the YHM can the threads start in the same spot everytime, that means they stop at the same place everytime and that means the timing doesnt change unless you dont thread it on the whole way. But if you dont thread it on the whole way you have bigger problems than a changing zero. Go ahead and mark your can then procede to mount and unmount the can a hundred times, if you put it on till its tight everytime it stops at the same place everytime.

Ok now I understand what you are saying and that actually makes sense and can be testable. I think I'm going to give this a try. I normally just snug it on tight in-order to preserve the spring and the teeth on the QD. Doing that I haven't had any baffle strikes. But it does make sense to just bottom out the threading for perfect consistency. I'll give it a try.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dudeman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok now I understand what you are saying and that actually makes sense and can be testable. I think I'm going to give this a try. I normally just snug it on tight in-order to preserve the spring and the teeth on the QD. Doing that I haven't had any baffle strikes. But it does make sense to just bottom out the threading for perfect consistency. I'll give it a try.</div></div>

So any results, did it work? I'm playing the waiting game for my phantom and was curious. Also I have a question for you guys that own the QD system. Do you have to use the QD mount when you get the QD suppressor or will it just thread on a 5/8x24 threaded barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brokefromguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dudeman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you used the YHM QD (quick detach) system? It is absolutely possible to for it to stop at different positions. It only depends on how tight you screw it on. Installing the QD to the rifle should not require indexing but this thread is about indexing the Can to the QD for consistent POI shift after removing and reinstalling the Can. </div></div>

yes ive used the YHM QD system. On mine when you put the can on the mount and tighten it down it stops at the same spot everytime...you know why?...cuz the thread stops. I think people are confused about the issue of timing a silencer. AAC makes a nifty mount with multiple thread starts that actually allows timing to happen. With the YHM can the threads start in the same spot everytime, that means they stop at the same place everytime and that means the timing doesnt change unless you dont thread it on the whole way. But if you dont thread it on the whole way you have bigger problems than a changing zero. Go ahead and mark your can then procede to mount and unmount the can a hundred times, if you put it on till its tight everytime it stops at the same place everytime. </div></div>

See there, I learned something new. My YHM QD mounts have pretty strong springs, pushing on the little teeth that hold the can from backing off. So I never have tried to screw it all the way down. Afraid of wearing those teeth out I guess. Now I have to go play with it,,,
whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bri</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dudeman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok now I understand what you are saying and that actually makes sense and can be testable. I think I'm going to give this a try. I normally just snug it on tight in-order to preserve the spring and the teeth on the QD. Doing that I haven't had any baffle strikes. But it does make sense to just bottom out the threading for perfect consistency. I'll give it a try.</div></div>

So any results, did it work? I'm playing the waiting game for my phantom and was curious. Also I have a question for you guys that own the QD system. Do you have to use the QD mount when you get the QD suppressor or will it just thread on a 5/8x24 threaded barrel? </div></div>

if you dont have the mount, the qd can will not mount to the gun. either you have thread on or you have qd.

Thanks delta, any of you guys have a pic of your rifle with the QD mount and no suppressor?

check the yhm site or aac, you will see mounts

Yeah I have a pic.

37436_103721196346965_1000012725411.jpg

Its a good idea to have the gunsmith shave down some metal around where the qd threads on when they thread your barrel so that you can get a wrench on the QD. This was Mark Gordon's idea at SAC and man I'm thankful for it.

37436_103721213013630_1000012725411.jpg

Thanks it was built by SAC and it shoots like nothing else. Now my goal is the ballistics part so I'm going to start reloading for it. Thus I can't say yet if threading the can on all the way makes a difference or not but I talked to Mark at SAC and he said as long as the can is on securely the POI shift should always be the same because the shift is created from the weight of the can altering the harmonics of the barrel. I guess we shall see.

Hmm interesting point on the shaving back some barrel to make room for a wrench on the qd. I got a GAP with the barrel already threaded. Do you think that there would be enough room for a wrench? or should I just forget the qd part and thread straight onto the barrel? hate to buy the qd and just not be able to use it...

Does the qd really help with ease of attachment that much? esp since there is only one thread starting point and thus no way to tune the suppressor, like earlier mentioned?

I deciding on the qd or not to qd...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_TROS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Does the qd really help with ease of attachment that much? esp since there is only one thread starting point and thus no way to tune the suppressor, like earlier mentioned?...</div></div>
Mine never sings off-key so I see no point in tuning it.

The QD is torqued to the barrel and the QD/can interface threads are very coarse so it can't shoot loose. Neither can it be cross-threaded in a fit of panic (except maybe by Chuck Norris, but he never panics). And with a QD, you still can use the same can on a rifle with a left hand threaded muzzle brake, like an AK.

I ground down the crow foot wrench I use when torquing my QD and left the barrel alone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_TROS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Does the qd really help with ease of attachment that much? esp since there is only one thread starting point and thus no way to tune the suppressor, like earlier mentioned?...</div></div>
Mine never sings off-key so I see no point in tuning it.

The QD is torqued to the barrel and the QD/can interface threads are very coarse so it can't shoot loose. Neither can it be cross-threaded in a fit of panic (except maybe by Chuck Norris, but he never panics). And with a QD, you still can use the same can on a rifle with a left hand threaded muzzle brake, like an AK.

I ground down the crow foot wrench I use when torquing my QD and left the barrel alone.</div></div>

Well put! I already had the barrel threaded earlier but wanted to take a few inches off of it so in the process of re-threading it Mark made room for a full sized wrench. If it wasn't already going to be on a lathe I would have shaved a wrench as well.

ha yea chuck norris can run around the world and kick himself in back of his head!!

Does the qd device double as a muzzle break or flash hider?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_TROS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ha yea chuck norris can run around the world and kick himself in back of his head!!

Does the qd device double as a muzzle break or flash hider?</div></div>

Yeah the YHM QD is the same as the YHM phantom flash hider but with threads and spring tension. So if you want to skew a marshmallow over a fire with it you can. I have not done this. But if I get drunk and do it that will be another thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ninja Pirtle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got to shoot my YHM Phantom QD 762, @ 100 POI was 1 MOA down, and 1 MOA right. Damn impressed with the accuracy as well. </div></div>

Almost exactly what I got with 7.62 Phantom on an LTR. On 7.62x39 AR 1.5 MOA Down. No horizontal shift.