• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors YHM 7.62 TI QD Phantom Accuracy Issues

1slow01z71

Side of the barn hitter
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2012
Austin, TX
The first three shots stack in pretty good but the 4th and 5th drop down about 3/4". Im not firing very rapidly, this is a 308 5R 24", just single feeding it so every 10-15 seconds a shot. For a while I was having issues with accuracy period with the can on but figured out the tooth on the mount wasn't seating into the can.
Can fully tightened down on the mount, notice its not seated in a tooth

So I have to back it off the the previous tooth otherwise my groups open up to 2"+

Here is a representative picture of a 5 shot group

Another, ignore the upper shot, was testing POI shift

Id think it was just an issue with the can not timing correctly on the mount if it weren't for the fact that the first three shots are pretty dang good. I do have a couple of flashiders that seat right but haven't swapped one on yet to try. This same can on my 20" AR gets me 10 shot groups shot in a minute like this

So Im not really sure whats going on. My griffin armament recce 7, phs338, and specwar 7.62 will be released next month so Ill have other choices to use soon but I plan to give this can to my dad and would like to have it lined out for him. Out of the four mounts I have only have two that actually time right with the last notch where the qd ring is fully compressed as well. I get an ever so slightly bit of movement on the two that don't seat all the way but again if this was really an issue Id think the first three shots wouldn't be stacked in as well as they are. Granted this isn't a precision bolt gun just a stock 5R with a trigger, it still annoys me. I do not get this group dispersion with the can off and only using the brake.

I don't know what's causing your accuracy problems, but like you I found that backing off the YHM suppressor 1 click was the best way to get POI change to repeat consistently. My suppressor also got stuck once when i tightened it all the way and I had to wrench it off. By leaving the suppressor "loose" 1 click I learned to prevent this and it seems to have no effect on accuracy or sound reduction. The simple ratchet system works very well in preventing loosening of the suppressor.

With some searching it seems this is "normal" for this can. Since my dad will be using it and he only shoots when he hunts as long as I can confirm the suppressor shift is repeatable it should be good enough for his use. Just a bit disappointed since the yhm qd system is suppose to be one of the best. If by best you mean it wont thread back off then I guess its great but 3/4" group shift isn't acceptable to me for precision stuff. Hopefully my specwar and griffin cans don't do that.

I don't mean to be hard on you, but I don't know how the can could be doing that. That looks to me like a shooter or a load issue. Even something as simple as the amount of pre-load (forward and/or downward pressure) on the rifle would be more likely to do that than the can or mount. I say this because I have the same thing happen to my groups all of the time, and I don't even have a suppressor...yet.

Most of my groups with the can look like the first picture, the second picture is after I got pissed so the horizontal dispersion is from me but theyre all still low. Like I said with the can off my groups do not do that. My SDs are in the single digits to very low teens so its not the load causing the vertical spread, besides the fact that the first three always group great then the 4th and 5th do this, otherwise I might blame it on the load. While Im not the best shot in the world and if it was just one group that this happened on I might be apt to think it was me but Ive literally shot 10 groups with the same results. First 3 stack in good, the rest drop down and stay there until I let the can cool off. I can fire the group, yank the can off and shoot 5 more and all 5 with the can off will be sub moa easily. Its a can or mount related issue. Next course of action is to swap a flash hider on that seats right but I ran out of 178 amaxs and am waiting on my backorder otherwise I woulda tried the new mount. My Griffin cans will be released before I get more 178s loaded up most likely so I doubt Ill troubleshoot this further. Was just hoping someone had the same experience and knew what the problem is.

My Ti Phantom is still a few months out, but I'm very curious what effect it will have on accuracy, if any, on my 6.5 Creedmoor.

My Ti Phantom is still a few months out, but I'm very curious what effect it will have on accuracy, if any, on my 6.5 Creedmoor.

Since youre in Austin youre more than welcome to try mine out on yours if you want. Accuracy is not affected on 223 AR so maybe the 6.5 will be sub caliber enough not to cause an issue if there is in fact a problem.

That's a very kind offer, z71! I don't have the QD FH on my gun, yet, but I imagine Silencer Shop wouldn't have a problem giving me the FH from my suppressor--it's paid for.

I picked mine up as well as some extras before the can was released from nfa jail.