• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors YHM R9…on a 358 Win? Or different can?

ChrisAU

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2019
SE Alabama
I have a Kimber 84M that started life as a 243. I had it rebored to 358 Win and shortened to 16.1”. It’s barely over 5.5 lbs with a Trijicon Credo 3-9 on it. It’s a fun deer and hog rifle. I don’t mind the recoil, but I do mine the noise.

Wondering if I could make do with a YHM R9? I reach out to them, and the answer was…maybe. Wondering if anyone has experience, maybe no one does. I’d like to keep the can short and light. I know it will still be loud, but I just want to lower the amount of brain scrambling boom it has.

Open to suggestions on other cans. I have thought about just getting an R9 with them being so cheap and having a machinist friend open it up to .36 to be safe.

I have a Kimber 84M that started life as a 243. I had it rebored to 358 Win and shortened to 16.1”. It’s barely over 5.5 lbs with a Trijicon Credo 3-9 on it. It’s a fun deer and hog rifle. I don’t mind the recoil, but I do mine the noise.

Wondering if I could make do with a YHM R9? I reach out to them, and the answer was…maybe. Wondering if anyone has experience, maybe no one does. I’d like to keep the can short and light. I know it will still be loud, but I just want to lower the amount of brain scrambling boom it has.

Open to suggestions on other cans. I have thought about just getting an R9 with them being so cheap and having a machinist friend open it up to .36 to be safe.
I would check the laws before making any changes to a NFA item. I think changing the bore is creating a new suppressor.

I run a SiCo Hybrid 46 on my 358 and it works great. I put a 9mm front cap on it.

That may be what I have to do, its light and can be configured short. Thanks!

SilencerCo just told me that the 36M is bored out to .360, but that they recommend not using any projectiles bigger than .357 and that .358 would be at my own risk.

Reactions: camocorvette

SilencerCo just told me that the 36M is bored out to .360, but that they recommend not using any projectiles bigger than .357 and that .358 would be at my own risk.
I actually have mine on 358 AR and I installed a YHM QD muzzle brake on it and run the YHM QD suppressor adapter on the SiCo Hybrid 46 can. It works good. I had a gunsmith ream out the muzzle brake from 30 cal to 38 cal for this very purpose and it looks perfect and acts like it should. I have zero complaints with the whole system.

Seems like I recall a youtube video where the bore of the R9 was shown to be just over 0.400". Maybe somebody will measure one. If it is advertised to run a .350 Legend safely and is rated for 308Win case capacity and pressures, I'd think a .358win should be a perfect fit.

Reactions: Bluedog82
About 2:20 mark in the video, he mentions a 0.404 interior bore.

I will watch that later, thanks! If that is true then I should be fine. I asked YHM and got this back which was odd...

"It will handle the pressure of the .358 as it is rated for .308 on a 16" barrel as well I am just not sure of the caliber and bore size of the R9."

Bump for any more insight…rifle is headed off tomorrow to be threaded 1/2-28, and I still think the YHM R9 is the ticket. Thinking I just need to go ahead and get in line with one and after I get in a year do some careful measuring and then just send it.

Sorry, but I think you must have been talking to some new guy with very little technical knowledge of suppressors. Anyone telling you that .357" is OK but .358" might not be, knows nothing about suppressor bore clearances. Any 9mm suppressor that will handle the pressure will handle the tiny diameter difference with no issue.

You might consider a Liberty Mystic X as well. It might be longer than what you're looking for, but I use one on a very similar .358 cal 16" setup in an old Remington pump action. Mine is a 35 Rem, a little step down from 358 Win even with the hot loads I've used, but I suspect the Mystic X would work pretty well for you. It's not the absolute quietest rifle can but it's pretty decent.

Of course if you could get a TB Ultra 7 bored out, that would be the hot ticket IMO. I don't know if TB will do that. There aren't enough .35 cal rifle cans on the market unfortunately. It's an awesome hunting caliber.

Reactions: ChrisAU
Bump to the top. Gonna have my 358 barrel chopped to 18” and threaded. Short range deer hunting here in IN.
Only have TBAC so far, so looking for other options here too.

The Rugged Alaskan360 might be worth a look.

Rugged told me it would not work, I asked specifically about the new Ti.

Did they give a reason? I'd have thought this wouldn't be a problem considering that it's rated for .338LM. Now I'm gonna need to drop a pin gauge in mine and see just how tight the bore is.

Did they give a reason? I'd have thought this wouldn't be a problem considering that it's rated for .338LM. Now I'm gonna need to drop a pin gauge in mine and see just how tight the bore is.

CD1027FB-A64B-4D7C-BCB2-8D46BB185389.jpeg

I think they just weren’t aware of what it is. A 358 Win is not some magnum extra long action blaster.

I can understand not recommending the Obsidian 45 due to uncorking pressure (it's generally not rated for big-boy rifle rounds), but to say that it won't fit through the Alaskan 360 is weird. I guess that extra 0.003" of bullet diameter over a standard 9mm is just too much :rolleyes:

I can understand not recommending the Obsidian 45 due to uncorking pressure (it's generally not rated for big-boy rifle rounds), but to say that it won't fit through the Alaskan 360 is weird. I guess that extra 0.003" of bullet diameter over a standard 9mm is just too much :rolleyes:

I can't help but wonder if the person answering the question was just a secretary or shipping person, and not someone actually familiar with the technical details.

I've seen comments before on various forums to the effect of "38 Special won't fit in 9mm cans" or something of similar effect about .358" rifle bullets too, but of course it's always by someone relatively unfamiliar with suppressors and caliber sizes. It's a bit surprising to me that it's such a common opinion, but maybe the responder was one of those people?

With a typical clearance of about .040" or more over maximum caliber size, the difference between .355" and .358" doesn't mean squat as long as the suppressor can handle the pressure. Personally I'd be inclined to either just use it anyway (it'll obviously handle .358 Win if it's rated for .338 LM) or have a conversation with the head honchos at Rugged, depending how ornery I felt that day.

Reactions: E. Bryant
I just checked an Alaskan 360Ti with pin gages, and the first baffle has a bore of 0.428" (0.001" bigger than the Obsidian9 in my inventory). Seems big enough for a 0.358" bullet, but I'm not the guy who has to provide warranty service.

I've used an R9 on both 16" 308s and 16" 357.
I love it as a deer can.

It is pretty loud on a shorty - 18-20 would be better. I like loud and short on a hunting rifle though.

16" 223 bolt doesn't cause discomfort with the R9. I've filled a deep freezer with that combo.
It truly is a marvelously versatile little can.

I just can't relate to the guys using nomad L, and Magnus, etc for hunting.

Short and light for a shot or two is where it's at.
I lust after the tbac ultra 5.

Reactions: E. Bryant
I can't help but wonder if the person answering the question was just a secretary or shipping person, and not someone actually familiar with the technical details.

. . . have a conversation with the head honchos at Rugged, depending how ornery I felt that day.
Yeah I think the resident math nerd was OOO when you got that email. None of that adds up.