• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

YHM upper/lower

Chaos_23

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
Texas
I'm planning on building my first AR (first build, that is, I have a RRA complete rifle). I'm wanting this to be an SPR type gun with an 18" barrel, etc, for use primarily as a precision target/maybe competition rifle.

My question is, are Yankee Hill uppers/lowers considered good to go? Also, how much does it matter that the upper and lower are from the same maker, if it matters at all.

And last question, is there any benefit to using DI vs piston or vice-versa for an SPR type rifle?

Thanks in advance!

Re: YHM upper/lower

there are just a few forges that produce ar lowers the yankee hill lowers are fine .
I can give first hand input on the upper since I have one on a full auto m16 , they hold up fine to sustained burst . I also have a 20 inch rifle I remodeld with a yankee hill fluted barrel in 5.56 with a 1/7 twist . I love it . the upper is the key to a good build take your time with the assembly and follow the guidelines all should be well

For an SPR, I'd go 18" with a rifle length DI gas system. I tried an add on piston system and the recoil was more abrupt.

As for the upper and lower having to come from the same manufacturer, no it isn't important.

With regard to the YHM upper, I've tried a couple of them (along with several others). The two examples that I got exhibited a very sloppy fit to the barrel extensions on the barrels that I used. I also had to true up the faces to square them off.

I haven't tried, nor seen everything, but from my experiences, I've come to stick with Daniel Defense uppers for my precision builds. The barrel extension fit is very good, the bolt channel is to spec and doesn't exhibit any slop and is also true. On what was supposed to be my ultimate SPR build, a while back, I tried a Vltor MUR upper and had trouble getting the rifle to shoot as well as I wanted. When I swapped the MUR out for a DD upper, everything came together.

Like I said, this was just my experience, so take it for what it's worth.

I had 1 YHM upper. Upper to lower fit was sloppy. I have had good luck with Aero-Precision and will use them on future builds.