• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Yote hunting tips...

chriso

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2008
California
I have some private land to hunt on down here out on some farm land in northern California. I have taken quite a few coyotes. This property is down in the valley, There is a ton of alfalfa fields and rabbits and squirrels around. The farmer wants me to take out as many yotes and squirrels as I can, I have never really set up in a hide and called in yotes so any advice would be appreciated. There is ton's of old equipment and old busses to set up in they like to lurk around the old equipment field and torn down barn to prey on rabbits. I will be using my long range set up I also have a AR I plan on using if close enough.

Re: Yote hunting tips...

Chriso,

Play the wind when calling and try to set yourself up to force the yotes to come in upwind of you. While calling, I use the lay of the land (bluff, ridgeline, etc.) to force them to come in upwind. Another tactic to use is a visual decoy, something to force their attention away from you. We use a remote call and set it up about 100 yards or so upwind of us. Using clumps of grass/weeds to conceal the call.

I can't emphasize enough on the wind. Stay down wind, use the terrain to your advantage and a visual decoy. All these in conjunction will keep "the heat off you" and give you a tad more time to line up your shot.

Just my two cents here, harvested a great many of them and learned the hard way. Hope this helps!
wink.gif

Here's one for ya!>>>>>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...667#Post1187667

Thanks law dawg Only problem is the property is FLAT for miles Ill see if I cant find a good spot. Any calls you guys recommend I don't have one. All the yotes I have taken are by chance on our property out in the sierras "totally different" We see packs of em all the time and it's pretty much just hop out the truck grab the rifle and get a pop shot before it takes off or sit in a hide and watch the chicken coop "they like killing our damn chickens"... Anyways back to the call I don't have alot to spend right now as money is tight...

Chriso,

We use a Johnny Stewart PM4 Preymaster. It's a digital, wireless caller that uses interchangeable sound cards. You can play two sounds at the same time and it carries 12 seperate sounds on board. Picked this one up for about $150 and it was lightly used and like new. You can get a new one for about $200 or so.

As for the terrain, if there is any old buildings or equipment in the area, use those to your advantage for cover.

There is a old barn that has been knocked down but I'm affraid the sucker will collapse further on me. I have the OK to Make a hide out there, There is a water tower Thats about 10 feet off the ground they took the tank off of and I could put some ply wood on and dress it up. There is Also plenty of old farming equipment that has been there for years and old school buses they used for the workers. The rabbits tend to hide around this area and it's where the yotes come to get dinner...

The structures and old equipment will all work. Observe the area and look for the most common direction the wind is out of. Set up on/near the structures or equipment and use the wind to your advantage. As for the old tower, use it for an elevated hide. You can use square bales of hay and use it to make a hide, the farmer may have some bales of straw or hay on hand and let you use them for your set up.

Plenty bails of hay around sounds like a good idea, I think I will go out this weekend and check out the landscape and the wind like you said and hopefully get started on putting a hide up. Maybe I can pick up a call if I get lucky!!!

The coyote's are not afraid of old equipment that has been sitting they get used to it. You can use it for a blind, but if the coyote's are hunting right around it, I would try to set up 100 or so yards down wind of it. Coyote's like to circle down wind and because of this I try to set up on a fence line in my very open area's where I hunt. Many time's by doing this I have had them try to circle me, but when they hit the fence they will come straight down fence to where I am laying in the tall grass. Mouth calls work also and are a lot cheeper if money is tight. My favorite is the Lohman Circe Three Tone caller. It is green and has a mouth peice that twist and make three different sounds = Loud Medium and Soft, I like to start calling soft first. For a decoy you can use a feather on a stick. Good Luck