• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing yotes in bama

Re: yotes in bama

What kind of info are you looking for? Places to hunt, tactics, regs. etc.

Chad

would like to know tactics and regs been hunting other things in bama. love shooting and thought yotes would been a good challenge thanks a lot

As far as regulations in AL, go to this link Alabama Seasons and Regulations. If you do a little searching you will find loads of tactics on this site about hunting yotes, however most are out west. That being said, depending on what type of land (public vs. private) you can just do some trial and error. Using a game caller with some sort of a decoy is a great way to go. Some areas will require heavy calling, while others it may not work, you will have to get in the woods and see what works for you and go from there. Since I have not hunted them in AL, I can not give you any first hand experience. Let me know if you need help in any other way, good luck and good hunting. Welcome to the Hide.

Chad

The best tactic in my experience is to hop on a tractor and start cutting hay.... They'll show up to eat the casualties of the cutter.

well for me its tough. been a few times no luck calling one in. then again i suck at calling. around here they are seem especially wiley, but it can be done. i have killed a couple while deer hunting. i see more around the interstate than anywhere.

Killed all mine (about 7) while deer hunting. Missed a couple too as some never seem to stop. I recall one morning in which I was third in a string of deer hunters (or first depending on which direction the deer approached). First two hunters couldn't connect with the first dog. I cleaned him up with a .243 shot to the gut at about 75 yards while he was running about half speed through the woods. Dropped him in his tracks. Stayed in the stand and the first two hunters missed coyote #2 about an hour later. I get ready for a deer this time and the coyote pops in my field of view much closer (about 15 yards away). Alas, I missed! Slightly embarrassed but 2 other guys missed too and he was really moving.

Different locations involve different "tactics" and set-up when calling. I like to set up near a field, usually in a tree stand, and position an electronic caller some distance away and let 'er rip. Have you ever called before? What have you used? Don't make the mistake of not calling enough -- or moving too soon. I can only speak what works for me, but I like to use rabbit distress calls *hard* for about 10 or so minutes, then pause for a time, then hit it again. I stay on my stand for at least 30 minutes before I move. There are tons of different ideas about how to call, where, etc.