• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

You get what you pay for!

downhill

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2010
Texas
I had a new shooter with limited funds bring me a Winchester Sharp Shooter Rifle Rest he had just purchased at WalMart for $29.00. I told him to go get his money back but he wanted my help with it. As a Pipeline Welder I do have extensive fabrication skills- so 2 and a half hours of cutting,grinding,and TIG welding later we had the boy a reasonable rest(I told him to learn the proper way to use a sling and the proper way to load a bipod and he wouldn't need a rest to determine his group sizes!) Ending Opinion; Remember when WalMart had signs "Proudly made in the U.S.A". Now they need "Our crap is made in China-Spend your money at your own risk"

Re: You get what you pay for!

Sad fact is that Wally has a faithful and growing group of customers. We (the US consumer) have only ourselves to blame.
Of course there are exceptions but the vast majority of Americans love Wally and their junk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Meat Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sad fact is that Wally has a faithful and growing group of customers. We (the US consumer) have only ourselves to blame.
Of course there are exceptions but the vast majority of Americans love Wally and their junk. </div></div>

+1 on this. I shop there as little as I can.

Charlie

I shop at Wally World all the time, well more or less go there and feel good about myself after seing all of Shank's old girlfriends and all the other retards there....

Walmart sells what we buy... if we stop buying the junk, they'll stop stocking it.

Sadly... i often like to buy junk.
frown.gif

I would say most of the client base that shops with them are sheep in my book. They do have low prices and the matching other store prices is great but in the end it just guts the small biz. Good deal on you helping a new shooter.

they have cheap ammo though!
smile.gif

remember when wally used to advertise about all their products made in the usa? not so much now

f china and f those who dont give a shit about buying american

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rez187</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
f china and f those who dont give a shit about buying american </div></div>
I don't GAF about buying American. I GAF about buying the highest quality possible for my money. American manufacturers (and I work for one) have to earn my money with something more than the picture of a flag.

Who do you think you are to tell others where to spend their hard earned $? I'll tell you who: NOBODY.

I'm with you on this one, Most people that shop at Wally work for American companies that pay wages that only make Wally affordable. Now when those companies start paying 20.00 and 25.00 instead of eight an hour then I'll shop at one of those high dollar places, until then Hello Wally-world and thanks for stuff I can afford.

My wife works at the local one. If it wasn't for the 10% discount I get I wouldn't shop there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: downhill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a new shooter with limited funds bring me a Winchester Sharp Shooter Rifle Rest he had just purchased at WalMart for $29.00. I told him to go get his money back but he wanted my help with it. As a Pipeline Welder I do have extensive fabrication skills- so 2 and a half hours of cutting,grinding,and TIG welding later we had the boy a reasonable rest(I told him to learn the proper way to use a sling and the proper way to load a bipod and he wouldn't need a rest to determine his group sizes!) Ending Opinion; Remember when WalMart had signs "Proudly made in the U.S.A". Now they need "Our crap is made in China-Spend your money at your own risk"</div></div>

Wal-Mart is a model of effiency, and it's a simple rule of business: give the customer too little, and you lose money, give them too much, and you lose money. The gear you buy there may work just fine for your purposes, or it may be hopelessly unsuitable. The thing to remember is that most people on this forum are not casual shooters, and the equipment that they require is ludicrously overpriced for what the average shooter needs it to do. A father buying a scope for his son's first 10/22 does not need, nor should anyone sell him, a Nightforce 5.5-22x56. That cheap $10 cleaning kit and $15 soft rifle case will work just as well for 98% of gunowners as the $75 in cleaning supplies and the $200 Pelican hardcase.

When it comes to Wal-Mart, keep that fact in mind, and you won't be disappointed. There's stuff I've bought there for pennies on the dollar, and been quite satisfied with, because I kept my expectations in line with my budget. If I need a piece of top-of-the-line camera hardware, or want a really good steak dinner, I'm not going to go to Wal-Mart in the first place.

prone you are exactly whats wrong with this country thank for showing your true colors!

if everyone thought like you we would be speaking chinese

I really have no choice living where I do. We have two grocery stores, a Walmart, two sporting goods stores, and a hardware store. As bad as it sounds, I am greatful to have Walmart. Paper towels, laundry detergent, towels, bedding, etc. I would have to order on line or pay double the price at the local outfits. I will pay more for some things at the sporting goods places because they need to stay in business and I appreciate the service they provide. I can't just drive to the next big town living on an island so Walmart it is for a lot of my necessities.

I believe in buying made in America products and supporting my local economy whenever possible.

However, I don't think that there is anything innately wrong with "made in China". Quality control of the product made in China and any other country is the problem, that is the responsibility of the company that puts their name on their product not the country where it is manufactured.

It comes down to the title of this thread, "you get what you pay for".

Most customers care about the price more than anything else, thus quality suffers. Plus many companies also play the odds, they take shortcuts to make more profit with the chance of producing a faulty product....risk a recall instead of correcting the problem before something happens.

The problem is not made in China, the problem is the consumers that buy products with price as the main deciding factor. The other problem is product differentiation. In other words, made in America or locally has to be better and not just more expensive, that difference has to be valued and appreciated by the customer.

Walmart may be a model of efficiency from the perspective of Walmart, but I disagree from a larger perspective. Walmart is very good at socializing their costs. By hiring part-time employees, they minimize benefits. By using "just-in-time" shipping they minimize warehousing costs. By lobbying for and getting tax breaks to move into town they minimize tax costs. Unfortunately, society (the rest of us) picks up the healthcare costs, and we subsidize the damage and congestion caused by additional trucking, and we suffer when those small businesses who didn't get the tax breaks and can't compete die off.

The price tag on the item doesn't reflect the true cost. While I suppose one could argue that since you are paying the rest of the costs already, you may as well buy the cheaper stuff, but, out of principle at least, it might be worth taking a different route.

My folks are in a similar situation as mnshortdraw, and other companies do the same thing as Walmart, and Walmart does have some really good deals now and then, but keep the alternatives in mind when you can. Joe at the local gunshop won't be there forever if we don't give him some business, and I don't think any of us want our firearm and firearm supply purchases ultimately limited to (and dictated by) places like Walmart.

bought my last remington 700 from wallyworld. shop there as little as possible, though...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyrodder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Walmart may be a model of efficiency from the perspective of Walmart, but I disagree from a larger perspective. Walmart is very good at socializing their costs. By hiring part-time employees, they minimize benefits. By using "just-in-time" shipping they minimize warehousing costs. By lobbying for and getting tax breaks to move into town they minimize tax costs. Unfortunately, society (the rest of us) picks up the healthcare costs, and we subsidize the damage and congestion caused by additional trucking, and we suffer when those small businesses who didn't get the tax breaks and can't compete die off.

The price tag on the item doesn't reflect the true cost. While I suppose one could argue that since you are paying the rest of the costs already, you may as well buy the cheaper stuff, but, out of principle at least, it might be worth taking a different route.

My folks are in a similar situation as mnshortdraw, and other companies do the same thing as Walmart, and Walmart does have some really good deals now and then, but keep the alternatives in mind when you can. Joe at the local gunshop won't be there forever if we don't give him some business, and I don't think any of us want our firearm and firearm supply purchases ultimately limited to (and dictated by) places like Walmart.</div></div>

Tax breaks, JIT inventory management, and part-time workers are all normal business practices for any large company, anywhere. And society itself chooses to pay for those healthcare costs; Wal-Mart is simply using what's already there - if they chose to pay those costs out-of-pocket, you'd still be paying for it regardless.

What I found fascinating to research in my ultra-liberal business management course was to look at the studies of economic growth in towns that Wal-Mart moved into. Overall, the quality and strength of local businesses eventually became stronger as a result of a Wal-Mart appearing in their market: the same cost savings that lured in consumers also allowed small businesses that didn't compete directly to benefit.

What sealed it for me was hearing our left-wing moonbat hippie professor rant on for days about how destructive and exploitative Wal-Mart was. Literally every other political point she brought up was utter bullshit, so it wasn't very difficult to doubt her claims on the evils of Wal-Mart either. At heart, it's the capitalist's ideal company...and that's why a pseudo-communist such as her found it so repulsive.

Being American is all about the free-market. The free-market dictates low prices.

We complain about Chinese products, yet you must wonder why so many things are made there? Easy answer: Americans want more money to do the same job---whether it be through unions or whatever else.

Everybody that complains about people buying non-US goods should go to their boss and ask for a pay-cut tomorrow so that "American" goods can be priced more competitively. If not, quit your bitchin'.

I buy what I need. Walmart is great for small towns and for most of the basic home needs (laundry detergent, groceries, etc...). When it comes to other things, camera equipment, computers, hardware, tools, etc..., that's what the Internet is for. Especially today, when the (ever shrinking) Dollar has to go much further than it used to, people will go to places they feel they can get the best value for their money. Sadly, people just assume the lowest price is the best value, but as the title of this thread shows, "You get what you pay for".
frown.gif