• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

You guys are f---ing nuts...

Elxx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2008
Tucson AZ
I was just thinking about how I'm struggling 100 yards, working on position, cheek weld and bitching about how my next upgrade is gonna destroy my college fund. Then I see this sub-forum. I can't even see some stuff beyond 1000 (even if it is big and white). So to that, I say "You guys are f---ing nuts.."

=)

P.S This sub-forum is still my inspiration =D

Re: You guys are fucking nuts...

were are not nuts!
search the VLR shooters, 2-3 k
they are nuts!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BadBot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">were are not nuts!
they are nuts!</div></div>

Thats called ELR for extreme long range..thats 1800-2500m

ULR--Ultra Long Range..thats 2500m and beyond.

with a good scope, 20moa base and descent velocity its not as crazy as it might seem. you have to remmeber 1moa at 1000yds is about 10" so your target gets alot bigger also. You have to do the exact same stuff you do at 100yds only only it is magnified.

all you need is good glass, drop chart, and a 1moa rifle. start at big targets. the first time I tried it took me 12 shots out of my 260 to hit a milk jug at 1000yds and if it wouldn't have been on a sand hill to spot my misses I would have never hit it. start with steel if available.

you can do it man stick with it.

If we're crazy...I don't wanna be sane!!!
wink.gif

The rifle don't know if its shooting at 100 yds or 1200 yds Elxx !!! Think about it...

braveheart-mad-stephen.jpg

Yeah, but it's my island!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BadBot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">were are not nuts!
they are nuts!</div></div>

Thats called ELR for extreme long range..thats 1800-2500m

ULR--Ultra Long Range..thats 2500m and beyond. </div></div>

Somehow knew you would show up....
laugh.gif

Other than the turret settings. What exactly is the difference between shooting 100 yds, & 1000 yds, or 2000 yds?

Oh yeah. You get to wait a few seconds to see if you hit!

Wind.
Seeing the target.
Knowing that you hit or missed the target.
Need for launching bullets that can make it that far.
Being able to consistently hit the target.

All of these are much more difficult at 2kyds than 100yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just another day in Ohio.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TCA4570?feature=mhw4#p/u/5/V8HEJHfyrrM

bunch of pics of last years shoots.
(several pages back in comp.)

Come on up.
Ya ain't that far.
</div></div>

At 0:19, quoting straight from the video "You're crazy" =P

Shit it sounds like that video was made for me. Complete disbelief. It's like I'm neo in the beginning of the matrix, and you guys are leaping fucking building telling me to "free your mind."

Fuckin' nuts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Other than the turret settings. What exactly is the difference between shooting 100 yds, & 1000 yds, or 2000 yds?

Oh yeah. You get to wait a few seconds to see if you hit!</div></div>

All shooting is the same. However, since sight alignment and recoil are angular concepts, shooting at distance is more demanding of marksmanship perfection. Ultimately, its the bullet which determines how distant a good shooter can get a good hit. Once the bullet begins to tumble, hitting what you're aiming at just becomes a matter of luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Elxx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just another day in Ohio.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TCA4570?feature=mhw4#p/u/5/V8HEJHfyrrM

bunch of pics of last years shoots.
(several pages back in comp.)

Come on up.
Ya ain't that far.
</div></div>

At 0:19, quoting straight from the video "You're crazy" =P

Shit it sounds like that video was made for me. Complete disbelief. <span style="font-weight: bold">It's like I'm neo in the beginning of the matrix, and you guys are leaping fucking building telling me to "free your mind."</span>
Fuckin' nuts. </div></div>

Haha, well, the rabbit hole goes pretty damn deep, but it's fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Elxx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was just thinking about how I'm struggling 100 yards, working on position, cheek weld and bitching about how my next upgrade is gonna destroy my college fund. Then I see this sub-forum. I can't even see some stuff beyond 1000 (even if it is big and white). So to that, I say "You guys are fucking nuts.."

=)

P.S This sub-forum is still my inspiration =D

</div></div>

Your education begins here. Beyond 1000 yards is easy it just destroys your post college fund!

the nuts part is really finding a good safe location to perform these matrix feats. so far i have ocassional access to 725 yards range, and this is starting to seem pretty limiting. shooting only at 100 is whats nuts. let your rifle do what god intended.

The other day I was talking with a buddy on the phone. My wife was sitting here reading a book and I was telling him "we should get out and see what we can do at 2K this summer". I got off the phone and she was smiling at me, I asked her what the grin was for. She was "so happy that I decided to take up marathon running, like her"

I laughed and said no, we are talking about long range shooting at 2000 yards! She frowned and went back to her book....

Women, we will never understand them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Other than the turret settings. What exactly is the difference between shooting 100 yds, & 1000 yds, or 2000 yds?
</div></div>

Thats like saying "other than the steering wheel what the difference between driving volkswagon bettle and Indy Car"
smile.gif

Differences:

1. It requires a shooting system that is designed from ground up to be compatible with a projectile which is also designed from the ground up to be compatible with internal ballistics achievable which needs to be mated to have the correct exterior ballistics.

2. It requires vast support equipment that shooting 100, 200, 300, 500 do not require such as...scientific calculators, meteorological equipment, specific laser rangefinders, knowledge of terrain, knowledge of such terrains weather, knowledge of how that weather acts at various times of the day.

3. It requires knowledge and understanding of how the following terms affect impact on target..ballistic coefficient, danger range, danger space, gyroscopic precession, line of bore, line of sight, muzzle brake induced error, reverse image zero, slant range, spin drift, swept space, mid-range trajectory, maximum ordinate, etc etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Once the bullet begins to tumble, hitting what you're aiming at just becomes a matter of luck.</div></div>

And that sums up main reason for my #1 above. There are systems out there that push the projectile stable further than most people can accurately and reliably calculate firing solution for that distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> She was "so happy that I decided to take up marathon running, like her"
</div></div>

Marathon running might pale in comparison in regards to the dedication it takes to ELR to be "good" at it LOL

Thanks

Old friend of mine used to say, "That bullet doesn't care how far it has to go."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tnichols</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Old friend of mine used to say, "That bullet doesn't care how far it has to go."</div></div>

Absolutely true to a degree, but not all bullets are created equal. And not all can fly stable when beginning to reach the last 5% or so of transonic flight and even less can transition to subsonic and be stable.

Thanks

Apparently my attempt at sarcasm was lost on most of you. I was trying to convey that the fundamentals of marksmanship are exactly the same no matter the range. The differences are external to the shooter. The only differences for the shooter are knowledge, equipment, & experience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Apparently my attempt at sarcasm was lost on most of you. I was trying to convey that the fundamentals of marksmanship are exactly the same no matter the range. The differences are external to the shooter. The only differences for the shooter are knowledge, equipment, & experience.</div></div>

That's the way I see it. All shooting is the same/the bullet always goes in the direction the barrel is pointed. Accept these statements as fact and, when shots don't go where aimed, you can troubleshoot at the shooter.

If your worried about your college fund you had better take "The Blue Pill" now.

But it is fun to see how far the rabbit hole goes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tnichols</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Old friend of mine used to say, "That bullet doesn't care how far it has to go."</div></div>

Absolutely true to a degree, but not all bullets are created equal. And not all can fly stable when beginning to reach the last 5% or so of transonic flight and even less can transition to subsonic and be stable.

Thanks </div></div> I agree.

Re: You guys are f---ing nuts...

If it makes you feel any better my factory remington 504T .22 shoots under 1 moa at 100 yards with cci subsonic. But it proubly doesn't.