• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

You guys have me rethinking my magnification desires

TheDude219

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 4, 2022
NC
I guess you really don’t need more than say 20x for long range (out to 1000 yards) based on some recent posts huh?

Outside of SB what are the top 18x or so optics I should be looking at (no vortex)

Precision is the goal. 308 and 6.5prc would be the calibers.

Reactions: simonp
just because you don't need more than 16-20x to get out really far doesn't mean that a 25-36x scope magnification range won't have a better optical image than a true 18x max mag scope

i'd rather be in the middle of a scopes mag range than the top end any day

I guess you really don’t need more than say 20x for long range (out to 1000 yards) based on some recent posts huh?

Outside of SB what are the top 18x or so optics I should be looking at (no vortex)

I'd be happy to go over some different options to fit your criteria, please give me a call at 916-628-3490 -Richard@CST

need and desire are almost always different things I like having the extra power knowing it's there if I wanna use it I can if not then I won't use it . but when a 5x25 high dollar scope could be running you 3k - 6k and you can get double that power for 1/2 the cost and not feel like your missing anything why not . we have shot 1k with 16x's mag and at 50x mag I liked the extra details that I could see with more power I saw exactly how far to the left my second shot was vrs my first and adjusted with out ever having to come off the scope while at 16 I could tell there was an impact just not how far from the first it was or exactly how far I needed to adjust . the last 3 years summer or winter I have only needed to go below 40x's mag twice and thanks to aperture reduction video's from f class john I don't see that changing for years to come . but like many things it's up to you and what you want to do .

It also depends on the size, shape, and color of the target.

Is it a comparatively huge 48”x48” chunk of steel, the bottom of which is three feet off of the ground and is painted bright white?

Or is it a tiny ground squirrel that’s close to the color of the surroundings, often only pokes just its head up of its hole, and at other times may be parallel to the ground?

As a small varmint shooter, I sure appreciate 27x when mirage allows. Not for most shots, but it’s sure handy when the air is clear and the little bugger is far away.

I think 35x would be useful for me sometimes, maybe even 40x. At those mags I think eyebox may become the limiting usability factor out in the field over a long day.

Mostly I shoot at 18-20x due to the vastly more comfortable eyebox that my Razor 4.5-27x allows at that mag.

just because you don't need more than 16-20x to get out really far doesn't mean that a 25-36x scope magnification range won't have a better optical image than a true 18x max mag scope

I’m in this camp, mostly.

I will agree that crazy mag levels are absolutely not NEEDED. I shot a USO ST-10 for awhile (good lord, I miss that scope), and never felt it handicapped me. I’ve also shot from cheap Super Snipers all the way up to S&B PM2s. As long as the scope tracked and was at least clear enough to see the target, my scope choice has never held me back.

Now, with money being no factor, I’d clearly choose a higher-end optic with more mag and play in the middle ground, but I presently live in the sub-$1K realm and don’t feel handicapped. Good work can be done with an PST2 3-15x, LRTS 4.5-18x, or similar using the entire mag range if needed, but you’ll find the best performance somewhere in the middle to 2/3 of max mag range.

If your choice is a cheap 5-30x or a quality 3-15x, I’d go with the higher-quality, lower-mag optic. You don’t NEED 30x to shoot to 1,000, and I’d rather have a higher chance at consistent tracking and better image quality. Figure out what your needs are and choose an optic and reticle to match, but buy the best you can afford.

What he said. I ran my 6-36 on 16x most all last week at a match but I had the higher power if Ineeded it to spot or zero. I'd get something in the 25x max area if using it mostly 16-20x.

Kahles K318i or K525i, Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56, Tangent Theta, ZCO 420, Burris XRT-III 3.3-18x50, Zeiss LRP S3 4.5-25x50, etc...

I run a Kahles K318i CCW RSW SKMR3 scope on my main hunting rig... It has plenty of elevation and adjustment, and the glass is phenomenal. More than enough scope to get you to 1,000 yards, with tons of elevation travel. The turrets are amazing, and the zero stop is the most simple thing you've ever reset (runs on a cam system so it's a hard-stop that won't slip).

tempImageVSef7J.png

tempImageFNDzhm.png

tempImageXMVoxC.png

tempImage7EzIYO.png

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDude219
Kahles K318i or K525i, Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56, Tangent Theta, ZCO 420, Burris XRT-III 3.3-18x50, Zeiss LRP S3 4.5-25x50, etc...

I run a Kahles K318i CCW RSW SKMR3 scope on my main hunting rig... It has plenty of elevation and adjustment, and the glass is phenomenal. More than enough scope to get you to 1,000 yards, with tons of elevation travel. The turrets are amazing, and the zero stop is the most simple thing you've ever reset (runs on a cam system so it's a hard-stop that won't slip).

View attachment 8148489
View attachment 8148490
View attachment 8148492
View attachment 8148491
You Kahles whore, you.

You posts and the fact that Frank’s friend Mark(?) who also likes Kahles make me want to try a Kahles sometime.

You Kahles whore, you.

You posts and the fact that Frank’s friend Mark(?) who also likes Kahles make me want to try a Kahles sometime.
Despite what some douches will say, they are phenomenal scopes. Karl Kahles was also the originator/inventor of the rifle scope (like of ALL riflescopes) back in the late 1800's. It's kind of like owning a piece of firearms history, as well as an amazing optic.

Here's a good read, if you have a few minutes...

Reactions: TheDude219
After buying and using the ZCO 527 I wouldn’t hesitate to buy the 420 if it suited my needs. I almost bought the 420 anyway but most of my shooting is target at a fixed distance.

Scopes with less magnification offer the benefit of being smaller, lighter, and cheaper. However, I think it's a good idea to have a little more magnification than you think you will need. Being in the middle of a scope mag range does seem to work better than maxing out the magnification.

I own a ZCO 527 and 90% stay around 10-14 magnification. But I like having the extra power to zoom in on things I need (groups @ 100). I guess you could go 4-20.

I own a ZCO 527 and 90% stay around 10-14 magnification. But I like having the extra power to zoom in on things I need (groups @ 100). I guess you could go 4-20.
Thanks. Have a ZCO 420 and love it. Might need to go the 527 route.

Reactions: CSTactical
Thanks. Have a ZCO 420 and love it. Might need to go the 527 route.
We have some of the ZC527 with the new 10MIL NLE's in stock :)

Reactions: Badjujuu