• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

You guys thought you were armed for the apocalypse…..

Usually, a garage find yields a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow.

My friend, Lee, back in 1969 he was fresh out of the Navy and was rummaging through a junkyard and saw something he liked.

The kid left in charge of the place had no idea what it was. But, for $50 bucks and a bit of time with some tools to clean it and crank start it, Lee rode away on an H-D 1954 Panhead.

I think this rocket that can carry nukes kind of overshadows that maybe? I still think I would have more use with the old 80 inch panhead. Every once in a while, take the valve cover off, adjust the nuts on the tappets, good to go.

Reactions: Ernest 5.56

My friend, Lee, back in 1969 he was fresh out of the Navy and was rummaging through a junkyard and saw something he liked.

The kid left in charge of the place had no idea what it was. But, for $50 bucks and a bit of time with some tools to clean it and crank start it, Lee rode away on an H-D 1954 Panhead.

I think this rocket that can carry nukes kind of overshadows that maybe? I still think I would have more use with the old 80 inch panhead. Every once in a while, take the valve cover off, adjust the nuts on the tappets, good to go.
1954 Harley Pan........74 Cubic Inches

Reactions: Keith E.

Buddy of mine had a similar experiece. He was given an old knuckle that appeared to be seized up tight. He took it apart, put it back together, put some fresh oil in it and attempted to see if the motor would at least turn.

It fired off on the first kick. He said it scared the crap out of him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronws
Made to carry a 1.5 kT warhead. A peewee.

If memory serves, they figured that fertilizer explosion in Beirut a while back had that approximate yield.

Cool find.

Mike

Police added, “Because the item was inert and the military did not request it back, police left the item with the neighbour to be restored for display in a museum.”

Wow! Somebody with some common sense. I figured they would confiscate it and destroy it.

Reactions: Maggot
Made to carry a 1.5 kT warhead. A peewee.

If memory serves, they figured that fertilizer explosion in Beirut a while back had that approximate yield.

Cool find.

Mike
It was an Air to Air missile, 1.5 kT with a 300m lethality radius and significant shockwave damage outside that for bomber intercept. It wasn't supposed to be a "one and done", instead used with numerous devices to counter an inbound bomber flight. For the times, it was a significant deterrent. Test detonation was called "Plumbbob John", they had 5 USAF directly below with the device fired at 18,500ft with a pretty neat video of the test.

Last edited:
It was an Air to Air missile, 1.5 kT with a 300m lethality radius and significant shockwave damage outside that for bomber intercept. It wasn't supposed to be a "one and done", instead used with numerous devices to counter an inbound bomber flight. For the times, it was a significant deterrent. Test detonation was called "Plumbbom John", they had 5 USAF directly below with the device fired at 18,500ft with a pretty neat video of the test.

Gotta wonder how many of those men died of some form of cancer.

Gotta wonder how many of those men died of some form of cancer.

Reactions: Stevo86 and Maggot
It was an Air to Air missile, 1.5 kT with a 300m lethality radius and significant shockwave damage outside that for bomber intercept. It wasn't supposed to be a "one and done", instead used with numerous devices to counter an inbound bomber flight. For the times, it was a significant deterrent. Test detonation was called "Plumbbom John", they had 5 USAF directly below with the device fired at 18,500ft with a pretty neat video of the test.

A warhead/delivery platform designed for an era where bombers flew in formation and when you saw one, you saw the whole assault wave. 1.5 KT may sound anemic in terms of mainstream nukes, but one of these going off in the middle of a flight of bombers and the whole wave would be obliterated from the sky. And if special circumstances occur, I don't see much difficulty for the brass to repurpose the warheads to take out ships or cave systems...

Reactions: Redmanss
1954 Harley Pan........74 Cubic Inches
You're right, my bad.

Edited to add: I have more than one book on H-D history and fouled it up. But true story, my friend, Lee, did rescue a '54 Panhead from a junkyard.

Last edited:
Police added, “Because the item was inert and the military did not request it back, police left the item with the neighbour to be restored for display in a museum.”

Wow! Somebody with some common sense. I figured they would confiscate it and destroy it.
Yeah, but that's typical of the "media" around here. Hype up a nothing burger and ignore anything that is actually "newsworthy".

Useless as tits on a boar.

A warhead/delivery platform designed for an era where bombers flew in formation and when you saw one, you saw the whole assault wave. 1.5 KT may sound anemic in terms of mainstream nukes, but one of these going off in the middle of a flight of bombers and the whole wave would be obliterated from the sky. And if special circumstances occur, I don't see much difficulty for the brass to repurpose the warheads to take out ships or cave systems...
Agree with the first, but the bolded not really. It was a dumb missile, point and hope, with a 4.5 second burn time to Mach 3+ that at the end of the burn initiated the timed detonation to ensure the firing aircraft would be clear of the blast. Damage on impact with the ground would likely prevent detonation of the device, and targeting with it timing both direction and distance at the same time would have made an actual hit near impossible. The real usage was for bomber intercept over US land and population centers, hence the low yield.

There were more than efficient devices for land engagement, from tactical nukes for troop engagements to the big bitches for main underground command centers and ship fleets.

Agree with the first, but the bolded not really. It was a dumb missile, point and hope, with a 4.5 second burn time to Mach 3+ that at the end of the burn initiated the timed detonation to ensure the firing aircraft would be clear of the blast. Damage on impact with the ground would likely prevent detonation of the device, and targeting with it timing both direction and distance at the same time would have made an actual hit near impossible. The real usage was for bomber intercept over US land and population centers, hence the low yield.

There were more than efficient devices for land engagement, from tactical nukes for troop engagements to the big bitches for main underground command centers and ship fleets.

The sheer amount of brainpower that had been deployed during the Cold War is on a scale that is unimaginable... And ultimately paved the way for the Moon missions all the way to the James Webb Telescope. Those missiles are just the tip of the concepts iceberg that made it into production. Imagine the concept weapons platforms that have not moved beyond the drawing board and were shelved. There has got to be designs for huge missile-intercepting heat ray projectors and even more exotic quark and meson type beam weapons that were shelved because the energy output required to make these things feasible just did not exist yet...

Last edited:
The sheer amount of brainpower that had been deployed during the Cold War is on a scale that is unimaginable... And ultimately paved the way for the Moon missions all the way to the James Webb Telescope. Those missiles are just the tip of the concepts iceberg that made it into production. Imagine the concept weapons platforms that have not moved beyond the drawing board and were shelved. There has got to be designs for huge missile-intercepting heat ray projectors and even more exotic quark and meson type beam weapons that were shelved because the energy output required to make these things feasible just did not exist yet...
And, then there was “Rods from God.”

Reactions: Blue Sky Country