• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

You have $5,000 to spend on a rifle and optic - what would you get and why?

kamonjj

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2011
Norfolk, VA
Hi SH,

I'm curious to see what you would choose if you had to 5k on a rifle and optic setup to get started.

Ranges within a reasonable proximity to me go out to 1000 yards. I don't plan to compete but want to attend courses and enjoy honing my craft.

There are sooo many ways to do this. Just be prepared to get so many different recommendations that you’re not really going to get very far.

Reactions: LR1845 and kamonjj
Like @The D said, a pile of ways to skin the cat.

As a single parent, Im always a bargain hunter and the $$ all count.

Im a fan of the Origin action.
Proof prefit
Trigger of joice
KRG bravo
Scope/ring of choice.

Or find a good deal on a chassis or stock you like in the PX.

For around $5K:

Manners TCS 1500
Origin + action wrench 1100
TT Diamond 300
Proof prefit 500
muzzle brake 100-200

Used Vortex Razor HDG2 MRAD w/ rings/mount from the PX ~1700

- Zermatt Origin Action : ~$900
- Krieger barrel chambered in cartridge of choice and threaded for 5/8x24: $850
- Insite Arms Heathen 3 port brake: $160
- KRG Bravo: $350
- BNA TacSport 2 stage Trigger: $275
- ARC M10 rings: $180
- Atlas Bipod: $200
- Burris XTR III 5.5-30x56 scope: $2200

The above is right around $5k. This build gets you a very precise rifle, really good optics, great components and room to grow with chassis'/stock for the future. However the KRG Bravo really punches above it's weight class and is a great "budget" chassis. This would probably be the route I would go if I had $5K budget for rifle and optics. If you go used, you should be able to get even better deals than the above.

me I'd buy two more delta strykers 5x50 and spend the left over on reloading supplies . And I say that even after looking through a bunch of more expensive scopes I never though or felt i was missing anything with them I can see anything they can see but at 1/2 or more the cost . I do wish there were more recital choices , but never have I not been able to use hold overs just like I can with my ffp scopes with the more cluttered rets . a few do have more elevation but for a few dollars more I can tripple my elevation with an adjustable base now I am seeing further , able to dial up more than just about any scope on the market . best of luck with what ever you buy can't see you going wrong with almost any new scope out there .

The OP reads like “if I were going to create a bogus PX listing to scam some unsuspecting ‘hider’ out of a few $k, what’s the best bait?”

Funny you mention that. I was just listening to a podcast earlier with Jacob Bynum. Good stuff and it would be awesome to attend one of his courses.

He's the best. I've been to multiple professional precision rifle training courses, I think Jacob and RO is the best place to start out on this journey.

LOTS of focus on the fundamentals, as it should be for a newer(ish) precision rifle shooter.

Reactions: kamonjj
The OP reads like “if I were going to create a bogus PX listing to scam some unsuspecting ‘hider’ out of a few $k, what’s the best bait?”
:ROFLMAO: Or, I've been out of the hobby for a number of years. I have a 5k budget, and a lot has changed. So I figured I'd get some recommendations. But thanks for your input. Its greatly appreciated and very actionable.

He's the best. I've been to multiple professional precision rifle training courses, I think Jacob and RO is the best place to start out on this journey.

LOTS of focus on the fundamentals, as it should be for a newer(ish) precision rifle shooter.

That sounds great.

I added myself to the snipers hide waitlist for the September PA class already. Hoping that comes through as well as its only a few hours from me and would be an easy trip to make.

Reactions: kthomas
Foundation $1300
CDG w/ action wrench $1100
TT trigger $250
pre fit proof barrel $550
Muzzle break $100
Athlon Cronus BTR Gen II and rings $1400

$4700 and leaves you a bit for bipod and bag.

where you getting that CDG prefit proof for 550.. cuz i need like 2

Does the $5000 budget need to cover any 'smitty labor, taxes and shipping? If so I'd do:

New Tikka T3x Tact a1
New Zeiss LRP S3
New Warne one piece mount
New Atlas CAL bipod
Data log book
Sling

With that budget you could even send a 700 to LRI for a complete makeover with a new barrel. Pair with trigger of choice, stock/chassis, & optic

I’ll also take this opportunity to live vicariously through someone else with my dream build.

CDG or Mausingfield, sage green aics chassis, BnA tacsport pro, and whatever the best deal on an optic I can find

Last edited:
Tikka T3x UPR in 6.5 Creedmoor - $1600
Nightforce NX8 4-32 Mil-XT - $2200
Rings - $200
Atlas bipod & rail - $400
419 or PVA brake - $250

Buy any of it used and save 10-20%.

It will take most people a while to outgrow this setup.

$2,000 rifle.
$3,000scope.

The details of the make/mfg of either are irrelevant. Pick whatever caliber, spend that ammt, and it will work.
Thread. All these clowns spending more money on a rifle than the optic must not shoot much.

Meanwhile rusty Ulmer is winning matches with a zco and a tikka factory gun that was like 900 bucks.

G3 or XTR Pro in ARC rings
Cut rifled barrel - probably try a Brux this time
Ckye Pod
Tikka action
Bix Precision trigger set at ~6 oz
Vision chassis for long action
MDT 3.56" mags

- Zermatt Origin Action : ~$900
- Krieger barrel chambered in cartridge of choice and threaded for 5/8x24: $850
- Insite Arms Heathen 3 port brake: $160
- KRG Bravo: $350
- BNA TacSport 2 stage Trigger: $275
- ARC M10 rings: $180
- Atlas Bipod: $200
- Burris XTR III 5.5-30x56 scope: $2200

The above is right around $5k. This build gets you a very precise rifle, really good optics, great components and room to grow with chassis'/stock for the future. However the KRG Bravo really punches above its weight class and is a great "budget" chassis. This would probably be the route I would go if I had $5K budget for rifle and optics. If you go used, you should be able to get even better deals than the above.
Looks great.
My advice would be to look in the PX. I paid half that for that scope w/ illumination. Other parts will likely be less also.

Thread. All these clowns spending more money on a rifle than the optic must not shoot much.

Meanwhile rusty Ulmer is winning matches with a zco and a tikka factory gun that was like 900 bucks.

I have 4x as much in my gun as scope and I think you’ll be hard pressed to tell me it’s holding me back.

Attachments

• E56EB797-03B1-41A2-AADF-C10DF5DDF833.jpeg
    E56EB797-03B1-41A2-AADF-C10DF5DDF833.jpeg
    285.2 KB · Views: 138
Hi SH,

I'm curious to see what you would choose if you had to 5k on a rifle and optic setup to get started.

Ranges within a reasonable proximity to me go out to 1000 yards. I don't plan to compete but want to attend courses and enjoy honing my craft.
Rifle: https://fiercearms.com/reaper/ or https://www.eurooptic.com/Christens...e-65-Creedmoor-22-1-8-Black-801-03002-00.aspx

Scope: https://www.eurooptic.com/Kahles-K624i-6-24x56mm-RSW-CCW-SKMR4-FFP-Riflescope-10681.aspx

Rings: 34mm 1.26" high - https://americanrifle.odoo.com/shop/m-brace-scope-rings-1414#attr=316,303

Used glass is key. With warranties so easy and flexible on many brands it just makes sense. A little research will lend all the info you need to separate easy and flexible from PITA.

American Rifle Company Nucleus Gen3 Rifle 6.5 Creedmoor $2,499
Zeiss LRP S3 4-25x50 $2,199
American Rifle Co M-Brace scope rings $179

$4,877

Optional: Might need a brake and bipod.

I am a fan of this post and think that the $2500 PRS production price point has inspired some great rifles for the money. ARC being one of the best. That puts you at 50/50 scope/rifle which is solid.

Reactions: AllenOne1
Interesting. You get up into these price ranges one begins to list components that 95% ( or more ) of us regular Joe shooters have never even heard of. Us " poors " are truly in the basement when compared to the elite, long distance, precision shooters so prevalent here on SH.

• Haha
Reactions: SniperBro
Interesting. You get up into these price ranges one begins to list components that 95% ( or more ) of us regular Joe shooters have never even heard of. Us " poors " are truly in the basement when compared to the elite, long distance, precision shooters so prevalent here on SH.
The market is quick to react to these sorts of things and if you want to make it easy on yourself in the PRS game or play the really long shooting game it takes some serious $$. But fear not, every time the ceiling is raised the floor is raised with it. The more affordable shooting options are getting better and better as well.

Reactions: LR1845
The problem where I am is a place to shoot. I would have to travel at least an hour one way, join a club ( have to make an appointment to shoot ) and spend a fairly hefty penny to shoot any distance over 100 yards. I`d probably invest in something a bit more target oriented if I had even a 300 yard range but as it is I really can`t justify more than my 110 hunting rifle in .223, which does great at 100 yards at our state run, public range.

Shooting at this price level is a hobby. Expensive is relative - boating, flying, racing cars are also hobbies... If you're shooting for necessity - i.e. food or protection, the cheapest modern guns available will still castrate a chickadee at 100 yds (everyone knows chickadees are well hung here in TX).

Also, PRS is ghey, as the competitive aspect has made people game the game, which incrementally reduces practical crossover.

The problem where I am is a place to shoot. I would have to travel at least an hour one way, join a club ( have to make an appointment to shoot ) and spend a fairly hefty penny to shoot any distance over 100 yards. I`d probably invest in something a bit more target oriented if I had even a 300 yard range but as it is I really can`t justify more than my 110 hunting rifle in .223, which does great at 100 yards at our state run, public range.
That’s one of the most difficult things to come by, especially east of the Mississippi. Even with all of the problems I have with the Denver metro area, there are several places to get to at least 1000yds within a relatively easy drive.

If would you give you this same advice if you where one of my 3 sons unless you gave me a reason to lean another direction!

The reason I chose a Savage 12 F-Class for you is that for the money you can not beat it. It gives you a nice heavy stable laminate prone target stock. It gives you a factory trigger that can be user adjusted down to 3oz. I think? You get a nice heavy 30 inch SS barrel in 1:8 twist. You get a single shot closed top action. The action is already blue printed from the factory and you get all of that for $1600 and some change. Given the results most people get it is fair to say that Savage is going the extra mile on these and cherry picking barrels that do not need to be straightened and look great before before chambering. Obviously if you want to upgrade to an AICS mag latter on the 12 F-Class by savage would not be a good chose go Mausingfield! Just make sure you call them and talk to them about what you want to do today as well as down the road!

While I like my last savage I wouldn't recommend it for someone with a 5K budget. You might be able to get that trigger down to 3 ox but don't move the bolt fast or you will drop the sear. I have a 223 set about 8 oz, but you have to move the bolt gently. Shoots great, but the action isn't smooth, I'll take a Tikka over a Savage every day of the week. Those that listed an Origin, barrel, trigger, etc, are giving you the best suggestions IMO.

That’s one of the most difficult things to come by, especially east of the Mississippi. Even with all of the problems I have with the Denver metro area, there are several places to get to at least 1000yds within a relatively easy drive.

It's extremely easy to shoot 1000 yards anywhere in the country if you leave the cesspool of cities full of teens trying to rob you and suburbs full of Karens on Nextdoor.

I can't believe people still live in places like that. Didn't the Colorado Teacher's Union just advocate for the elimination of Capitalism?

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
It's extremely easy to shoot 1000 yards anywhere in the country if you leave the cesspool of cities full of teens trying to rob you and suburbs full of Karens on Nextdoor.

I can't believe people still live in places like that. Didn't the Colorado Teacher's Union just advocate for the elimination of Capitalism?
Start a thread in the bear pit if you want to start this argument

If would you give you this same advice if you where one of my 3 sons unless you gave me a reason to lean another direction!

The most important thing when shooting at 1000 yards and further is wind reading. The only way to get good at that is to shoot a lot. So more money for ammo is the way to go. If you want to shoot at 1000 yards or more you have to learn to reload if you want to push the odd's into your favor by controlling as many variables as you can.

Having affordable barrels that you can learn to change out on your own to cut down on gunsmithing cost's is crucial for long range shooting unless you are just made out of money! Hence the reasons to go with a Savage or an action that will take Savage prefits. There are plenty of actions that can be ordered to fit Savage Pre-Fits Mausingfield is not alone in this.

The reason I chose a Savage 12 F-Class for you is that for the money you can not beat it. It gives you a nice heavy stable laminate prone target stock. It gives you a factory trigger that can be user adjusted down to 3oz. I think? You get a nice heavy 30 inch SS barrel in 1:8 twist. You get a single shot closed top action. The action is already blue printed from the factory and you get all of that for $1600 and some change. Given the results most people get it is fair to say that Savage is going the extra mile on these and cherry picking barrels that do not need to be straightened and look great before before chambering. Obviously if you want to upgrade to an AICS mag latter on the 12 F-Class by savage would not be a good chose go Mausingfield! Just make sure you call them and talk to them about what you want to do today as well as down the road!

The optic Sightron SIII 36X is on the approved list for the most affordable and acceptable Optic choice for people getting started in F-Open and F-T/R on just about every list of gear for beginning 1000 yard shooters! Last I checked these where made by Light in Japan for Sightron not sure if that holds true to today. I own lower power Sightrons made in Japan and they are still going strong 17 years latter. All of the best makers that have stuff made in Japan it is made by Light last I checked not a lot of Japanese scope manufactures that take a lot of outside work.
motion to ban @fclassparadise for the crazy long messages and constantly just talking about mediocre savage f-class actions.

So, anyway, back to the actual premise of the thread.

OP, you’re most likely going to need to spend several hours reading threads on this site and then asking some more specific questions about what you want/need. As awesome as it is to see everyone’s bolt gun wish list, it’s not really narrowing anything down

Let’s face it, once we go down this rabbit hole our requirements, preferences, and tastes change over time. That’s fact 1.

Fact 2 is: the one gun for everything is a unicorn. Do you golf with only one club?

Fact 3: I want something I can grow into. -that one might actually have some merit if you do some research…

A few years back I went down the path of a factory gun as my first ‘precision rifle’. I had fun with it, learned a bunch, but also recognized the short-comings of a proprietary chassis and action with so-so after-market support. My choice of glass was also suspect but I didn’t know any better at the time.

So fast forward a bit, I sold the factory rifle and went semi-custom. But if I had to do it over again with a factory rifle, something that was Rem 700 based would probably be my main choice, do a full send on a good chassis that I can use for my ‘next’ build (MDT, XLR, Foundation, Manners, etc @ $1,200-ish), spend the cash on a TT Diamond trigger ($330-ish), good brake ($200-ish), and drop the coin on a good bipod w/ arca ($300-600 depending on what you get). Then don’t forget about all the accessories that go along with the ridle such as a Kestrel, LRF, Schmedium, rifle case, reloading components (or factory ammo…), ammo novels, arm bands, dope cards, etc.

I’d probably go with a barreled-action chambered in 6.5 CM, then once the barrel is shot out (and hopefully along the way I learned something about shooting and if I wanted to keep doing this) switch out the barrel to whatever caliber tickles my fancy.

So what factory BA is a) Rem 700 based, and b) decent, and c) can change barrels/caliber? Bergara comes to mind.

Then glass. Yeah, we can talk glass all day. But for glass I would stalk the PX and see what pops up in the $2K range. Burris XTR Pro, Vortex Razor Gen 2, Leupold Mark 5….et.al. I bought two scopes that were basically NIB on the PX in the last year and saved some cash. Seems like in the last year there have been quite a few tasty scopes in the $2K range come out. Definitely worth a look before you spend ZCO money. Spend a little more on the glass than the rifle, then when you do upgrade to a semi-custom build, move the scope (and most of the accessories over).