• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

You helped in the bedroom, now I need your help with a grill…

M8541Reaper

Frozen Sour Patch Kid Cult Leader
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 23, 2011
    AZ
    Y’all were right about the bamboo bedsheets…

…so now it’s time for a grill. We are moving out of the worst HOA (AKA base housing…eww I know right? Like totally a poor commune… ew) and I need a new grill.

I was leaning towards a blackstone but I was worried about not getting a good sear on my steaks, which is a weekly event.

Wife was like “just get a large cast iron top for a regular grill” but I dunno. Never had a blackstone and a lot of peeps speak highly of them. Others recommend a smoker but I don’t have the time to get into that (matches and crying about the results of said matches takes up most of my time).

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Talk amongst yourselves…

1681693042453.gif

I have a Oklahoma Joe’s Grill and a Oklahoma Joe’s smoker, they are about 12 years old and couldn’t be happier. They were purchased by Charbroil which did cheapen the legs and some small parts, but the tanks are still Oklahoma Joes and noticeable thicker than most you will find at Academy ect.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
    I also have a Ok Joes and like it pretty good. Mine is split down the middle, good old fashioned smoker and fire box on one side, that you can also charcoal grill with, and a regular gas grill on the other end. The best of both worlds.

Im going to need a link to that bamboo sheet thread....

1681695582828.gif

Really happy with my Phoenix gas grill. Can't flare up, great results when you want convenience.

My big smoker is offset or direct, but you wanted quick. Sometimes I do too, that's why the Phoenix sits beside the big boy.

I’ve got a Louisiana Grills easy bake pellet smoker that gets almost daily use and I love it. There’s a moveable section on the heat deflector right above the pellet/heater box that will get as hot as you need to seat a steak. It works really good, trust me. Costco sold them for a while so I didn’t pay the full price on their website. It’s expensive but it’s very versatile. I’ve had it running at 225 all day smoking something, bumped the temp up a bit to put a bit of smoke in some steaks, then lit the afterburners to sear them. It works great

I'll second Louisiana grills. They're built a lot better than a trager with the same controller.

Side note, do not wash it plugged in. I found a controller on Amazon to replace the one my sister smoked.

Or, if you just need a hot surface to cook outside....

…so now it’s time for a grill. We are moving out of the worst HOA (AKA base housing…eww I know right? Like totally a poor commune… ew) and I need a new grill.

I was leaning towards a blackstone but I was worried about not getting a good sear on my steaks, which is a weekly event.

Wife was like “just get a large cast iron top for a regular grill” but I dunno. Never had a blackstone and a lot of peeps speak highly of them. Others recommend a smoker but I don’t have the time to get into that (matches and crying about the results of said matches takes up most of my time).

Talk amongst yourselves…

View attachment 8121828
    Post a picture of your last steak and maybe I’ll be able to help.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
    I bought a Jenn Aire all stainless steel over twenty years ago. Still doing great. IIRC it was about $1500 at the time. The burners are cast iron and have to be replaced about every five years. I ordered two sets last year so I should be good for another ten years.

The new fangled electric controller with blue tooth and wi fi and phone app? Really? Grilling out is for drinking a beer, standing around the grill with family/friends. My neighbor laughs because I use a gas grill. He uses a wood fired grill.

Screw all that fancy shit.

We received an Aussie for a wedding gift in 2005.

It ran almost 14 years before it rusted out.

Unfortunately, they discontinued that model.

I’ve been using the Weber for almost four years now and so far, so good.

Reactions: lash

Talk amongst yourselves…

View attachment 8121828

Lived in base housing on Okinawa. I was mowing the back yard when one of the "HOA" officials placed a MOW GRASS warning on my front door.

• Haha
    You really have to consider what you are going to use it for MOST of the the time.

I have a Weber Propane grill for quick cooks but also have a Kamado Joe and a Pit Barrel for smoking. The Weber is built well and you can get it going in a moment and turn out decent burgers, steaks, shrimp, etc. Your wife's suggestion is what I do when I want a quick sear. I have a large cast iron insert that goes into the Weber. It works great for searing meat and I still have conventional grates for grilling fast.

The Blackstone is a nice grill but it is nothing more than a flatiron grill which is useful but limited.

If you decide on a smoker, you should look at the the Kamado Joe Big Joe series. It is fabulous. You can smoke low and slow or turn it up to 650 degrees and cook pizzas and sear meats that you smoke. It has lots of accessories to help with different types of cooks

Been super happy with the Rec-Tec pellet "grill". Way thicker than a Traeger, better heat control, etc. It doesn't sear like an open flame, but its good. Most the time if I want that sear crust on a steak I'll run it on the pellet then then finish with a quick sear on the cast iron on the stove. Works great. The rectec works better than a trad. grill for everything else.

I use the top sitting grates from Grillgrate.
    I like to reverse sear, so I’ll throw a steak in the smoker and sear on the gas grill. These grates get super hot and I get great grill marks.

Been super happy with the Rec-Tec pellet "grill". Way thicker than a Traeger, better heat control, etc. It doesn't sear like an open flame, but its good. Most the time if I want that sear crust on a steak I'll run it on the pellet then then finish with a quick sear on the cast iron on the stove. Works great. The rectec works better than a trad. grill for everything else.
    I have one as well. Smoked a 16.5# brisket and 4 racks of ribs on Easter. Just wanted to say Easter. 40# hopper is nice.

It doesn't sear as well as a traditional grill, have a Weber for that. Have a 24yo Napolean for rotisserie and a firepit and rotisserie for when I have time.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
    As far as steaks IMO nothin can beat a charcoal grill. I have a Weber Kettle I do all my steaks on and a Yoder Smoker for all other things.

Tried to do steaks on the smoker and it is just not as good as the charcoal grill.

Get a clay pot smoker. Commonly referred to by the brand name “big green egg,” “kamado joe” etc. Smoke the steak on that for enough time to get some smoke on the meat. Finish in a cast iron skillet.

I have a natural gas grill and a clay pot smoker sitting in the back porch. I have to be in a hell of a rush to use the gas grill.

It takes about 5 minutes to prep the fire on the smoker, and about an hour of wait time to get it burning- less if you’re not trying to keep the heat low. 1/2 hr of smoke is plenty- though I use a meat thermometer and bring the steaks up to rare before searing- and you’ll never burn a steak on the thing. Heat up a skillet and a couple of minutes on each side and you’re done. Super easy, though there is some wait time involved. Prep the sides while the smoker is doing its thing and everything is done and fresh at the same time.

Honestly, if I’m in enough of a rush not to get the smoker going, I’ll just use the cast iron skillet for the whole shebang. The grill is only really useful when I have a lot of meat to cook. I can do 3 good size ribeyes in the skillet simultaneously, and that’s enough for our family.

I have a Recteq 700/Bull. I generally give it pretty good marks. All except for the wheels. They're atrocious. There is a solution though. A $400.00 "Comp(etition) Cart".

I cook meat on the Recteq, then sear on a seperate gas grill. Works great.

Masterbuilt 1050 is a wonderful thing. Takes the babysitting out of smoking and grills wonderfully. I'd send a pic of mine, but I'm at the office.

c95da833-8b64-46ba-9bb5-ed057eac5c9d.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

I have a Weber Genesis propane grill that I've had for a very long time. Built very solid and any individual part that needs replacement is readily available. I have 2 steel plates that will cover the entire cooking surface. So it basically make a flattop griddle / blackstone. I use them for burgers or searing meats. Work great. I can also remove them to use the grates when I want. To me, it's more versatile than the blackstone, and I got it way before those really hit the market.

But, I also have a big green egg. I love the egg. I mostly use it for smoking, but you can also get it screaming hot to put a quick sear on anything. And the taste can't be beat. It add so much flavor cooking over lump.

This^^ The Green Egg.

I have a good friend who own a BBQ catering company that does large events. He knows haw to make a piece of meat taste amazing!
    On his patio at home, just about every type of grilling / smoking device is represented from built in gas grill to Traeger and smoking cabinets. I asked him a while back which one he uses the most and it was the Egg.

I bought a black stone a few months ago. Ended up returning it because I bought the single burner since I needed something small for an RV and any sort of breeze and it wouldn’t be hot enough to cook. When it worked it worked great though. It’s basically a glorified cast iron. It was great for hibachi, stir fry, burgers, pancakes, and everything I cooked on it except steak.

I would buy another one and plan to buy it will be a larger 3 or 4 burner non portable. No way would I have it as my only grill though and I don’t even really consider it a grill because it’s not.

Green egg is the way to go for a single solution. You can sear with it, smoke, grill, bake (we did Stromboli last night), and stir fry. I love mine, it’s probably my favorite thing I own. Large if you want one, mini max and XL if you want the best setup all around.

It’s not a grill, but I have a Orion smoker that thing is awesome. I gave my kamado smoker after I started using my orion. Way faster cook times,

Talk amongst yourselves…

View attachment 8121828
    Try the napolean line of grills.

Okay, so I have resisted for days, but your title demands that I respond in kind.

First you want to know how to perform in the sheets and now you need a new grill….

1681770242402.png

It’s to be expected I guess. 🤷🏻‍♂️😉😁

I use my Weber for steaks, that's all I cook on it. I will put my coals on one half and set the steaks on the other half and do a reverse sear. By the time the steaks come up to temps I want, I stick them on the side that the coals are on and hit them for a minute or two each side and then let them rest. Just like some people says friends don't let friends buy savage, the same applies for propane and propane accessories. If you don't need to hold heat for long cooks, i.e. smoking, then a good ole Weber will work. You can spend a ton of money on something like this or this but that's overkill, and I really like their products, I have one of their smokers. One of these can be useful if you are grilling a lot of food but just a couple of steaks.....a Weber or something similar will be perfect.

Green egg or Komado Joe. I've got the Komado Joe 24". It's hard to understand just how good they are till you use one. Smoke, grill, whatever it'll do it and better.

If your looking for a NG/propane grill

Saber grills

Bought first one about 7-8 years ago since then 4 friends have dumped their Webber for them. Father in law bought one for home and one for his vacation house.

Haven’t looked at the videos in years but it works as advertised..no BS

I’m in NY, and I grill year round 3-4 nights a week rain, snow, shine

2” porterhouse, burgers, salmon, sword fish steaks, burgers, lobsters..anything

Okay, so I have resisted for days, but your title demands that I respond in kind.

First you want to know how to perform in the sheets and now you need a new grill….

View attachment 8122351

It’s to be expected I guess. 🤷🏻‍♂️😉😁
    Instructions unclear. Dick stuck in grill.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I’ll look each of em up and go from there.

🍻

Reactions: lash