• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

You know you're shooting long range when:

Re: You know you're shooting long range when:

...When you decide it's best to have lunch before heading off to check your target.

...Newtonian physics won't do and you have to resort to General Relativity.

... When you've finished your third bottle of 'Spin-D' and end-up facing in the wrong direction.
sick.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fewenuff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">one of Shankster's ladies does not fill your spotting scope set on 60X. </div></div>

Never gonna happen!
Most low power scopes will still have the full image.

60X'S Might make you go blind.

when LL compensates for spin drift

When your MK4 16X on a 45 moa base is topped out, and you are holding mils on the reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When your MK4 16X on a 45 moa base is topped out, and you are holding mils on the reticle.</div></div>
Tell us how much moa elevation adjustment the fixed 16 power has,Good one Shane.

It takes you 90 seconds just to acquire the target.

You can't wait to tell everyone (non shooters included) how far you hit a target.

You're now considering a long range platform prohibitively priced, ill affordable to reload, 500 rounds max bbl life... and lastly....

You spend WAY TOO DAMN MUCH time on the Hide!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forwardeyes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When your MK4 16X on a 45 moa base is topped out, and you are holding mils on the reticle.</div></div>
Tell us how much moa elevation adjustment the fixed 16 power has,Good one Shane. </div></div>

It has 140 moa internal.

With my 30-06 zeroed at 100 yards (208s at 2720 fps), on the 45 moa base, I can dial 118 moa. If I'm playing around that far out. I usually only dial about 115, then go to the reticle. If the erector is physically topped out, the image starts "winking", or disappearing, going in and out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forwardeyes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When your MK4 16X on a 45 moa base is topped out, and you are holding mils on the reticle.</div></div>
Tell us how much moa elevation adjustment the fixed 16 power has,Good one Shane. </div></div>

It has 140 moa internal.

With my 30-06 zeroed at 100 yards (208s at 2720 fps), on the 45 moa base, I can dial 118 moa. If I'm playing around that far out. I usually only dial about 115, then go to the reticle. If the erector is physically topped out, the image starts "winking", or disappearing, going in and out.</div></div>

That's long-range alright.

You're shooting out there with that, are you friggin nuts? I don't even see the target.

Topstrap

Out here, in the summer and fall, conditions are usually dry enough to see dust signatures of impacts well past a mile.

When conditions are such, I've played around at distances well past a mile. Probably in the 2000-2300 yard range, but not verifiable with my equipment.

It's just a lark, but makes big grins. TOF over 4 seconds.

When the end of your barrel is interfering with your sight picture.

...When you remove your ear pro to better hear the impact while you discuss the shot with your spotter.

When your 'designated spotter' both cracks a new beer and finishes it before he give a correction.

When your target doesn't run away because it saw you move around...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When your MK4 16X on a 45 moa base is topped out, and you are holding mils on the reticle. </div></div>

Good one, Shane!

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...When you remove your ear pro to better hear the impact while you discuss the shot with your spotter. </div></div>

I've done this one!

when the curvature of the earth makes only the top half of your target visible

curvature of the earth = 8in per mile..

when 1000 yards now feel's "close"

true story:
went hunting Springbuck in the karoo, spotter ranged me & advised to hold, 1.5 springbuck up & .5 springbuck to the left...
I asked if it's normal to hide the whole buck behind the retickle...?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RSA-Raven</div><div class="ubbcode-body">true story:
went hunting Springbuck in the karoo, spotter ranged me & advised to hold, 1.5 springbuck up & .5 springbuck to the left...
I asked if it's normal to hide the whole buck behind the retickle...? </div></div>

Man, that sounds like us when we spot for each other at our long range plate matches and they make fun of us
smile.gif

Topstrap

When your quad runs out of gas the second time you run out to check the hits on the target and repaint.

Or when you have to stand somewhere in the middle to range the target one direction, then look the other way to range your truck. Then add the two together.

When extraterrestrials appear 10 years later and hand you your bullets back, and request you to stop littering their planet with these little pieces of lead and copper.
laugh.gif

When you have to borrow the ballistic computer from the 13B teams.

When Later and Dogtown cant do the ballistic calculations.

When it takes more than one box of FGMM to walk your LaRue 16" OBR on target.

...When you are having to use clouds above your target as hold over markers.

...While shooting in the continental USA, you have "a flyer" that causes an international incident between North and South Korea.

...Your backstop is behind you.

...your bullet needs a passport.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy M40a2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When Later and Dogtown cant do the ballistic calculations.</div></div>

Thats pretty funny and far at the same time lolol

But the true answer to the original question is this:

When you post what your where shooting WITH the firing solution to get to that distance and show hits at said distance yet the thread starts a 20 page debate on whether it can be done or not and what scientific principles come into play or not hahahahaha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Or when you have to stand somewhere in the middle to range the target one direction, then look the other way to range your truck. Then add the two together. </div></div>

Haha, I have had to do that.

I was going to mention when the coriolis effect is more than just a cool sounding line from the movie Shooter, but someone already mentioned coriolis...

You have time to reload the same case for the next shot

When Richard Branson wants to sponsor your bullet as the latest future private sector space vacation.

When bystanders are calling a miss because they haven't heard the *ding* yet.