• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

You send your barrel back because "It won't shoot" - first thing the maker does is.....

Repeating my question.. what’s your plan for when a customer uses their home brew loads and gets shit results..?

You going to eat the cost to prove them wrong? Waste your personal time developing a load after taking the barrel back..?

I have a mark 7 reloading setup downstairs, as far as capability and equipment goes.. that’s all here.

if Proof’s response to the bad barrel they sold me would have been “it needs some hand loads to shoot”, I’m not sure what would have ended first, the laughing fit I’d have, or the immediate return shipment that would have been sent back for a refund instead of agreeing to an exchange.
To answer your question directly. When a customer reloads and still gets bad results the rifle comes back to me for full inspection, accuracy testing, and full warranty re-barrel if needed.

But if a customer says.......I bought tons of remington core-lokts (or any other factory ammo) and the rifle doesn't shoot to the accuracy guarantee.....it needs rebarreled until the stars align and shoots them to guarantee......sorry not happening. If this is the expectation from the customer they need to mention it up front so costs can be added, some other arrangement made, or the build turned down altogether.

You either trust your builder to do a quality job to the best of their abilities or you don't.

If my responses leave a bad taste in your mouth, I understand. There are plenty of other great builders out there.

My apologies for hijacking this thread, but I am glad it went down this path. I would rather be honest and possibly lose some future customers, than promise the world then "read the fine print" you later on.......all to common in this industry already.

Also, I speak for myself alone, not anyone I contract for. Their arrangement with the customer is not my business.

Ern

For those who don't reload but want the best performance. I had a situation about two years ago.....

Built a 338winmag for a guy......had to rent a reamer (saami spec). Customer was dead set on Barnes ammo, he sent in a box. Shot terrible 1.5-2" if I remember correctly. I ended up buying dies, components, etc. and loading for it. So using the desired Barnes bullets I found a load that was sub .5" and repeatable. Customer decided that was what he wanted so he had me send the recipe and remainder of components to a custom ammo company (I forget which one now) and they rushed him 50rnds for the hunt he had coming up.

Although not cheap, everyone went away happy and he now has the option to venture down the reloading path or continue buying ammo from that maker to that spec.

Just wanted to use this example to let people know there are options out there if your new rifle doesn't like a particular ammo or bullet you really want to shoot.

I think I have beat this horse enough.

Thanks for "listening".

Ern

Reactions: Baron23
Im perplexed by this explanation as well..

You’re trying to say that you trust bubbas pissin hot loads as a better accuracy test of a barrel you’ve sold than a commercial match grade ammo….?

The whole point of match ammo is to control another layer of variables, one that you're instead introducing by encouraging hand loads.

So how do you account for the novice or shit hand loader…?

What happens if the customer double charges or similar, runs a hot load, and ruins the rifle in the process? You going to process a "warranty return" on your dime and eat the cost, because you stated that hand loads are more reliable as an accuracy test than factory ammo?
Just how do you double charge a rifle cartridge ? Hydraulic Press & Super Glue ? :unsure:

For me it was when the reamer chatter was so bad it printed on the brass.
Any chance you have a pic of the brass? I recently saw some brass that kinda looked like it’d been fired from a roller gun, but wasn’t. Got me wondering.

IMG_7727.jpeg
IMG_7884.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Baron23
Coming from the rimfire side. I’m pushing a dry patch down it to remove loose debris. I’m borescoping it. Checking headspace. Finally step is I’m taking whatever kind of ammo you’re using down into our tunnel and shooting it to see for myself.

My first CZ 527 17 Hornet would shoot two or three touching at 100yds followed by two touching more than 1moa away. Over and over.

I buy most of my guns from a shop with a lifetime guarantee. They sent it to CZ and many months later, back comes a completely new gun! Shoots much better and much more consistently.

I’m sort of wondering if there was something wrong with the receiver.

To answer your question directly. When a customer reloads and still gets bad results the rifle comes back to me for full inspection, accuracy testing, and full warranty re-barrel if needed.

But if a customer says.......I bought tons of remington core-lokts (or any other factory ammo) and the rifle doesn't shoot to the accuracy guarantee.....it needs rebarreled until the stars align and shoots them to guarantee......sorry not happening. If this is the expectation from the customer they need to mention it up front so costs can be added, some other arrangement made, or the build turned down altogether.

You either trust your builder to do a quality job to the best of their abilities or you don't.

If my responses leave a bad taste in your mouth, I understand. There are plenty of other great builders out there.

My apologies for hijacking this thread, but I am glad it went down this path. I would rather be honest and possibly lose some future customers, than promise the world then "read the fine print" you later on.......all to common in this industry already.

Also, I speak for myself alone, not anyone I contract for. Their arrangement with the customer is not my business.

Ern

One of the first things shooters should communicate with their gunsmith is their intended ammo for the barrel.

This is something I've always done before buying a barrel. I communicate with my gunsmith in regards to what ammo is going to be used. Usually it's reloads - and I'll specify the specific projectile (typically Berger Hybrids), sometimes it's factory ammo. That way, the chamber can be optimized for whatever you are shooting.

People are not setting themselves up for success if they aren't having these convos with their gunsmiths, IMO.

Reactions: AccuSol-ERN