• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"You Want HOW MUCH For That?" **RANT**

RoosterShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2011
Kentucky
Sorry for the rant, but I'm fed up! I'm wanting to get the opinions of my fellow gun enthusiasts to see what everyone thinks of the present trend that I am seeing.

Over the past several weeks I have seen firearms skyrocket both on personal, non-dealer, sales and on the net. For some reason people think that their firearms are worth more than MSRP, or even what hey paid for them. I don't understand it.

Now, I'm a fan of free enterprise and the whole bit, but explain to me how someone can justify selling a pistol or rifle for $850 if they only paid $750 for it themselves! When asked why it is priced above $750 they get offended and say "Supply and Demand". It's at this point that in my mind I begin to question their intelligence. They really have no clue what this means.

For example: I ran across a dealer this past weekend that had a S&W M&P 9 Shield for $580! When I asked him "What makes this one better than the $380 Shield?", he stated, " Supply and demand!"
crazy.gif
Needless to say I just laughed and walked away.

The thing that gets me is that I am seeing it more now than any other time in the past 15 years. Do people actually think that they're going to 'strike it rich' on one sale?

Your opinion?

Re: "You Want HOW MUCH For That?" **RANT**

Are we talking out of the box guns or what? The new tacticool thing lately is the Delta Bravo's that take a standard AR, put a couple pieces of magpul parts on it, ask $1500 for it and claim to have custom built it. SMH
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Led-Zep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are we talking out of the box guns or what? The new tacticool thing lately is the Delta Bravo's that take a standard AR, put a couple pieces of magpul parts on it, ask $1500 for it and claim to have custom built it. SMH
wink.gif
</div></div>

I could never understand the Magpul Price Jump.

It's usually always some base model $800 rifle and the MOE handguards are only $40 lol

It's simple. It is supply and demand. They will either find a sucker who will give them their asking price (which is the case or they would have learned their lesson a long time ago) or they will have their item sit in their cabinet/safe until they realize they are asking too much and they come back to reality.

Now unless you're after something unique or exotic, buying from a "gouger" is completely unnecessary.

It's that simple, it's a waiting game.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They will either find a sucker who will give them their asking price (which is the case or they would have learned their lesson a long time ago) </div></div>

You hit the nail right on the head Mike. For every 5 guys asking "you want how much for that?", there are 25 guys willing to pay that price no questions asked!

Did Brad Pitt or any other celebrity shoot, touch or otherwise drive by these overpriced firearms?

He drove past my house during the Super Bowl of 09 so I have that going for me! Should I choose to sell them that is!

Seriously, what's the rush? Wait till the hysteria passes and buy what you want once the sellers are desperate to unload their glut.

The essence of commerce is that a thing will sell for what the market will bear. If dumb asses are willing to be suckered, few sellers are going to be merciful to a buyer who remembers the pre-zombie pricing.

I think that some people are convinced that the events to come will seriously affect their ability to both own and voluntarily dispossess themselves of firearms in an absolutely free market. To this end, some wish to convert unwanted goods into cash, and others wish to acquire firearms and related items before they might not be able to. If you resent what you think are high prices, either don't pay them, or honestly assess your situation and do what you need to do to acquire that which you just can't live without.

I agree.

Many firms in the firearms business have government contracts. They use these to proclaim their superiority, and are a bit blind to the fact that the people who pay taxes are more prudent than those who spend them for us. They really don't need our money, just our taxes
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you resent what you think are high prices, either don't pay them, or honestly assess your situation and do what you need to do to acquire that which you just can't live without. </div></div>

I don't begrudge anyone's attempt to make a profit for themselves. If someone is clever enough to find and exploit an arbitrage, go right ahead. If the asking price is too high, the item won't sell. If the item does sell, then that is the strongest possible indicator that the supply and demand curves have found an intersection.

Bystanders don't get much say in the process; as the saying goes, money talks.

A semester of macro and a semester of micro definitely help one understand this stuff.

The KELTEC KSG is a prime example. Retail $880, see it on gunbroker for $1100-$1200. Talked to the rep selling on base, said he had one come in a month ago and had it listed for $680...man where was I!!!

What crack me up is how every gun on Armslist is 'like new' and has only '100 rounds through it'.

Ha Ha, you can now only sell a gun if it is under a 100 round count...otherwise you are obligated to keep it or sell it for half its value

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A semester of macro and a semester of micro definitely help one understand this stuff. </div></div>

Absolutely. Those two courses did more to bolster my understanding of the world than any other college elective.

I run into these guys all the time at gunshows. I simply supply them with the appropriate information as to why their piece of shit ain't worth shit.

Ill take your example of the M&P Shield. It is purely a supply and demand thing. Everyone and their brother wants a Shield, no one around here has one. Going rate for a Shield when someone gets one is 500ish, guess what they do not last an hour when they get put out on the shelf.

For you to think Supply and Demand has nothing to do with price you are sadly sadly mistaken.

Macro and Micro will do the OP a huge favor of understanding how Supply and Demand work

Where else you going to find a low round count tactical Mini-14 for only 750 though?
tacticalmini14.jpg

I've seen an aggregate price jump in the used firearms market around here.... It always seems to happen when I have the extra funds to get a K31. One day...

Some people buy common firearms thinking they are investments. A few plastic parts and doo dads added makes them think those parts are actually worth more than the 15% they are worth right after they installed them. Bottom line, a smart gun buyer will set his own limit on what to spend, make an offer, hand over his information, and walk away. Time goes by, the selling brain desires the bottom line of hard cash. The hard cash, firm offer often wins out. Could take a few hours, maybe a few days, or maybe two months. Seller waits adn waits, no one offers what he is asking except the smart buyer who knows what it is worth(here is another part of buyer seller, both seem to think they know what it is worth, but many times both are not quite right)
Supply and Demand? Not hardly. More like,"I have this supply and demand this much for it"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aur0ra145</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've seen an aggregate price jump in the used firearms market around here.... It always seems to happen when I have the extra funds to get a K31. One day... </div></div>

Rule of thumb is usually buy it when you see it, especially if the price is right. Too bad nagging stuff like feeding kids and keeping a roof over their heads gets in the way, but there you have it. I got mine for an indecently good price while supply was still in front of demand.

Well, I understand Micro and Macro economics, but it still doesn't make it sit any easier when I know the guy is gouging.

I see it everywhere. As an example, I recently ran across a 'for sale' ad on a popular, non-Hide, firearms forum. The guy paid $750 for his Colt Delta Elite back in 1990, and he wants to sell it for $1100 with 5k rounds through it!

I think this is ridiculous. It's the armchair sellers that are driving the price of guns up. Not the manufacturers. I can still go to my local dealer and pay the same for a S&W M&P 9 that I paid over a year ago. That tells me that the 'craze' has set in, and idiots are paying WAY to much for guns.

You understand Macro and Micro, but you don't accept what it tells you.

CDEs on GB are bringing $1,100 and up, regardless of condition. Exceptional examples are bringing more. Is he gouging, or are you unwilling to allow him to identify a buyer whose sense of need is strong enough to come to that price point?

Isn't it just as strange to think that the house I paid $21,250.00 for in Sept 1971 should be sold for that when it appraised for 8x that value recently?

Purchase price isn't tied to sales price by any known convention.

As previously stated, best time to buy is when your income allows you to purchase. If prices are too high, a better education may have resulted in a different view.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

There are many, many fools and it ends up impacting the rest of us.
Folks just walk into a gunstore or gunshow and expect to find a high level of customer service and fair prices.

I remember when it was true.
Sadly, in my neck of the woods it is not.
I shop at buds guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I understand Micro and Macro economics, but it still doesn't make it sit any easier when I know the guy is gouging. </div></div>

Takes two to make a gouging.

Some years ago after a hurricane a guy had an idea to make money. He rented a Uhaul truck and bought a bunch of generators. He traveled to an area without power and was selling them for twice what he paid. Someone complained, he was shutdown and nobody got a generator. Lots of folks were standing in line ready and WILLING to pay his asking price.

I see overpriced crap on a daily basis. FISHDO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aur0ra145</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've seen an aggregate price jump in the used firearms market around here.... It always seems to happen when I have the extra funds to get a K31. One day... </div></div>

Rule of thumb is usually buy it when you see it, especially if the price is right. Too bad nagging stuff like feeding kids and keeping a roof over their heads gets in the way, but there you have it. I got mine for an indecently good price while supply was still in front of demand. </div></div>

I dumped my girlfriend to afford an AR-15! The K31 supply in DFW, Texas is meh. Finding one that isn't rusted out with a good barrel is the issue... The good ones go for a high price, so I've resorted to pawn shops and the like.

One pawn shop around here has one for $200 with some rust on it. I was thinking about taking a bass guitar I haven't played since middle school to trade.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aur0ra145</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aur0ra145</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've seen an aggregate price jump in the used firearms market around here.... It always seems to happen when I have the extra funds to get a K31. One day... </div></div>

Rule of thumb is usually buy it when you see it, especially if the price is right. Too bad nagging stuff like feeding kids and keeping a roof over their heads gets in the way, but there you have it. I got mine for an indecently good price while supply was still in front of demand. </div></div>

I dumped my girlfriend to afford an AR-15!</div></div>

And so if you cut out the Jergen's?

crazy.gif

WHat is it with the K31's? I see dozens of them in gun stores and pawn shops all over the place.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Price a Chevy lately? </div></div>

Go try to buy a $20000 CC 4x4 Diesel truck in any configuration and you will see what supply and demand is all about.
eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raven796</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The KELTEC KSG is a prime example. Retail $880, see it on gunbroker for $1100-$1200. Talked to the rep selling on base, said he had one come in a month ago and had it listed for $680...man where was I!!! </div></div>

You cannot find these in stock for the most part. They cannot make them fast enough for the demand. This is a pure example of supply and demand.

If you want it bad enough and you have the money to blow, you buy it when you find it for the inflated price. If you are like me and most people, you just hang back, wait for the hysteria to pass and supply catches up with demand to buy it at the suggested MSRP.

People can ask whatever they want for things. You have the right to walk away. If enough people walk away from that person and they want to sell it bad enough, they will lower the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boomer@#$</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Price a Chevy lately? </div></div>

Go try to buy a $20000 CC 4x4 Diesel truck in any configuration and you will see what supply and demand is all about.
eek.gif
</div></div>

Find me a new or even relativity new diesel 4X4 for 20K.

So true, there isn't any gun that I'm gonna pay over what it is worth no matter how much I want it. Eventually people get board and want something new, then it works out nice....usually...

you must have tried on the '70s,to find and/or buy a 29 S&W .44 mag. after the releasing of the "Dirty Harry" movie...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raven796</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eventually people get board and want something new, then it works out nice....usually...
</div></div>

When you get board, do you make stuff with it? Or do you just lumber along, pining for change?

KEzRE.jpg

If I have something to sell, I set a price on it, and that is usually a no haggle price. If no one buys it, I have the choice of lowering the price, or keeping the thing.
A good price is one with which both the buyer and the seller are happy.
I bought a group of guns a few years ago for 1500 dollars. I sold all but one. I took the last one to a gun show and sold it for $1000.00. I had a total of $25.00 in the gun. The buyer was overjoyed to get the gun for such a low price.
Supply and demand. At that time the importation of the Polytech AK 47 was banned, and everybody wanted one. No supply and high demand made me happy to accept only a $925.00 profit, and made the buyer happy to get such a good deal. Everybody's happy, good deal.

Simple economics.

Reminds me of when the S&W Model 66 came out in ~ 1974. I was attending a class in Dallas and tracked one down at an "un-named known for rip-off prices sporting goods store". They wanted over $300! Ended up getting a call from a friend in Austin - they had just unboxed one - he would hold it for me - $170. As availability increased, the general pricing dropped.

Remember when Colt 6920's were going for $1800-1900 after the last election? People were actually buying them.

Remeber the 1978 Corvette Pace Car prices after the WSJ ran their article? Idiots were paying $thousands$ over sticker!

Kevin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boomer@#$</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Price a Chevy lately? </div></div>

eek.gif
</div></div>

Find me a new or even relativity new diesel 4X4 for 20K. </div></div>

I purchased my 2011 Ram 2500 for 32ish and sold it last month with 8,000 miles on it for 36ish not bad for owning it 8-9 months... Walked out of the dealer with a couple G's in my pocket.

Been trying to find something pre-2008 and its a tough game to swallow what a similarly equipped truck with 50k miles on it is going for.

Its not just supply and demand. I move around all over the place during the day and am always on the lookout for something that can help support my hobby. But sometimes if I am looking for something it takes a while to find one at a price I could afford. IE I picked up a Sig 220 Elite like new for $650 and a Sig 220 Dark elite for $675. Took some serious forum sale board watching and quick trigger finger but scored some good buys this way. Basically if your in a hurry or cannot wait go burn the money and get what your after. I.E. my buddy Chris just paid $550 for a Glock 22 that I picked up one the next week for $400... His excuse was he wanted it so he bought it. Pretty much sums up whats already been said in this thread. Don't like the price don't buy it and move on.

You guys have no idea. Here in Commiefornia there is a "safe list" of handguns that are available for new purchases. Anything not on the "roster" commands a huge premium. When the LCP came out people were paying 600.00+ for one from those that could legally obtain the gun (LEO's are exempt from the roster). Even Glocks with the tan frames were going for 800.00. 2000.00+ Pythons, 1000.00+ Smith revos, etc., etc., are commonplace.

I listed my rifle for below what it would cost you to build it, buy a Leica, buy a stand and spotting scope.

Based on what I felt it was worth.

$600 rifle
Smith work not deductable
$1000 stock
$100 bipod
$1500 rifle scope
$500 laser rangefinder
$100 sling

box, cleaning rod, all the tools I'm including it would run up to $4500 for the whole package so for me to list at $3500, either someone will buy it or someone will not.

But because I paid $600 for my rifle brand new does not mean I'm going to add a free A-5 FULLY LOADED stock, $100 cleaning rod, case, $1500 scope etc ON the rifle.

Now if you arej ust talking factory gun - yeah that's crazy.

My opinion, a rifle should be used-value about 3/4 the price of a new one if it's in great shape.