• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

You'll never forget your first...

SB545

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2019
You know how most folks say Tikka factory barrels are a PITA to remove and some say they spin off almost by hand. Well, in my case the first group was more accurate. I tried all the tricks I've read about. Soaking...not the Mormon way but actual penetrating oil. Broke out the cheater bar but that didn't work. Hitting the cheater with a 3lb sledge didn't work either. When heat didn't help I moved on to freezing the barreled action overnight and warming the action with mapp gas and repeating the above actions but no joy. When I was feeling defeated I reached for the hacksaw but remembered it was not on site. That left the 4" angle grinder and hopefully steady hands. I slowly opened a relief cut and checked torque as I went deeper. Prior to the cut 200 ft lbs wouldn't touch it. Post cut 160 ft lbs wouldn't budge it. After several cuts and tries the sledge was able to shock it loose. One smear of red loctite stick was visible on the threads.

So, next time I'll come prepared to lose the factory barrel if she doesn't go easy with a few taps.

Attachments

• PXL_20220209_041413192.jpg
    PXL_20220209_041413192.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 233
  • PXL_20220209_043519650.jpg
    PXL_20220209_043519650.jpg
    434.2 KB · Views: 233
Sorry, I've lived in Utah for the last 2 decades. It's a strange culture around here. Probably not funny outside of this state.

• Haha
Reactions: Basher
i had to beat my external action wrench with a sledge, with the barrel vised up in a machine vise. didn't notice any loctite. didn't try any heat or cold but did push a foam earplug down the barrel and filled the breech with kroil and let sit overnite.

i had to beat my external action wrench with a sledge, with the barrel vised up in a machine vise. didn't notice any loctite. didn't try any heat or cold but did push a foam earplug down the barrel and filled the breech with kroil and let sit overnite.

My goal was to save the barrel since it only have 2 boxes through it. Above all else I did not want the twist the action and I felt any more beating would risk that.

I'm making the assumption the red splotch on the threads is loctite.

My goal was to save the barrel since it only have 2 boxes through it. Above all else I did not want the twist the action and I felt any more beating would risk that.

I'm making the assumption the red splotch on the threads is loctite.
Well you kinda could have
Cut the relief shy of the thread major diameter, then catch the existing threads in a lathe and tur it into a barrel nut tenon.

Well you kinda could have
Cut the relief shy of the thread major diameter, then catch the existing threads in a lathe and tur it into a barrel nut tenon.

That's good to know for the future. I initially tried to go as shallow as possible but it wouldn't budge. After the 5th time of going deeper it finally popped.

You know how most folks say Tikka factory barrels are a PITA to remove and some say they spin off almost by hand. Well, in my case the first group was more accurate. I tried all the tricks I've read about. Soaking...not the Mormon way but actual penetrating oil. Broke out the cheater bar but that didn't work. Hitting the cheater with a 3lb sledge didn't work either. When heat didn't help I moved on to freezing the barreled action overnight and warming the action with mapp gas and repeating the above actions but no joy. When I was feeling defeated I reached for the hacksaw but remembered it was not on site. That left the 4" angle grinder and hopefully steady hands. I slowly opened a relief cut and checked torque as I went deeper. Prior to the cut 200 ft lbs wouldn't touch it. Post cut 160 ft lbs wouldn't budge it. After several cuts and tries the sledge was able to shock it loose. One smear of red loctite stick was visible on the threads.

So, next time I'll come prepared to lose the factory barrel if she doesn't go easy with a few taps.
The Provo Soak... 🤣😂🤣 The only reason I know about it is because a really funny comedian used to talk about it on his live streams all the time. 😂

I just bought a CTR in 223 and read the horror stories about the barrel and pic rail, and both came off with alomst zero effort. It's wild how different some stories are with pulling these rifle apart.

I just bought a CTR in 223 and read the horror stories about the barrel and pic rail, and both came off with alomst zero effort. It's wild how different some stories are with pulling these rifle apart.
Did yours have a streak of red loctite on the threads?

I had a NOS in the box Tikka T3 Lightweight in .223 Rem that I pulled the barrel off of.
Took some work with several days of pre-soaking with Kroil, heat gun and then finally got after it with the wrench and barrel vise.
3' cheater pipe and a dead blow mallet got it off, but it made me put some effort into the job.
I'm not looking forward to pulling the barrel on my CTR...

Did yours have a streak of red loctite on the threads?
I don't think red loctite is going to make that big of a difference.

Red loctite breaks down with heat (heat you can apply with a common kitchen torch), and many people install brakes (that at some point will be removed later) with red loctite. TBAC recommends red loctite for their brake installations, for example.

Try a Lee Enfield barrel that was put on with 18 tons per square inch. Let me know when the party is over
7A0876C9-5F55-47A1-86A6-784AD047F0AC.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: HPIguy
Sorry, I've lived in Utah for the last 2 decades. It's a strange culture around here. Probably not funny outside of this state.

Oh, no. For those who know, it’s funny everywhere. LDS/“Mormons” anywhere else in the world refer to Utah members of the LDS faith as “Utaherds” because of how effin’ weird they are. 🤣

Disclaimer: am LDS. Utaherds are loonies, haha.

Reactions: LeftyJason
Oh, no. For those who know, it’s funny everywhere. LDS/“Mormons” anywhere else in the world refer to Utah members of the LDS faith as “Utaherds” because of how effin’ weird they are. 🤣

Disclaimer: am LDS. Utaherds are loonies, haha.
Its not just Utah. Idaho and parts of Arizona count as the Mormon Bubble.

Disclaimer: am as well. Born and grew up in Texas though and served in Idaho. Moved to Utah at 29 in 2015.

Reactions: Basher
Its not just Utah. Idaho and parts of Arizona count as the Mormon Bubble.

Disclaimer: am as well. Born and grew up in Texas though and served in Idaho. Moved to Utah at 29 in 2015.

This is all truth, LOL. I come from a part-member family, so I like to thing I’m fairly balanced, but parts of the PHX east valley are a mess, haha.