• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Young Manufacturing NM BCG

BasraBoy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
I've been waiting on an answer on this question from YM....but nothing comes back so I decided maybe I should ask you guys:

I'm looking for a BCG to go in my SPR-ish build (18" WOA SPR profile barrel with headspaced bolt).

I really like the YM products but was wondering if there is that much of a difference in performance/tolerances between their chrome finished NM line and their "normal" phosphate finished products?

The intro page on their website seems a bit confusing on this to me.

The phosphated ones are certainly a lot cheaper.....

Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: Young Manufacturing NM BCG

I have the NM BCG in my DMR build, great quality, good stake job and the chrome finish does help in speeding up the cleaning process.

Ive never their phosphate finish products but the NM seems to be well worth the money.

"I'm looking for a BCG to go in my SPR-ish build (18" WOA SPR profile barrel with headspaced bolt)."

If you use a chrome plated bolt with this barrel you most likely will be tight on headspace. If you use the bolt that came with John's barrel in a chrome carrier you won't have any problems.

I've never experienced carbon buildup/cleaning issues on standard non-chrome carriers. If chrome makes your weenie stand up, by all means spend the $$ for it rather than for gas to the range and ammo.

I know this is sold out but this is the one I have been using in my guns and works great! Cleaning is just about none and have yet to clean after 2200 rounds without an issue. I did use the headspaced bolt with my WOA barrel. If cleaning is a big deal to you buy a POF rifle
wink.gif

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-...20auto%20ib.htm

If you already have the bolt then just get a carrier. Bravo company has carriers with gas keys installed for 69$ in stock right now. That is what I would get.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good stake job</div></div>

Young doesn't stake their chromed carriers; according to their site they use red gel loctite.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If chrome makes your weenie stand up....</div></div>

LOL!

Actually I don't like chrome - I am just wary of drinking the YM NM kool aid on finer tolerances/smoother running/less friction/better accuracy without getting some feedback first.

On the bolt - that will come from WOA. So just looking at the carrier from YM.

The Young BCG's are nice, I own a couple of them. However they are not necessary for accuracy.

I have one of these. I have the full mass, black bolt carrier. I can't say that it adds anything to the accuracy of the gun, but you can tell that the gun cycles much smoother than normal and the bolt carrier cleans up much easier than normal.
I am happy that I spent the extra money, and I'm reminded of it every time I pull the trigger.

I have a young chromed BCG and it is nice, but be aware that I did have to send it back the first time due to the carrier being out of spec. Also, Young insists that they are not to be staked, and yet mine came that way, as well as an earlier poster in this thread. Not a big deal, it just makes me wonder how closely they oversee their assembly team, because they don't seem to be reading the directions.

I am very happy with the CS Young provided, but if you are not in the US then I think it would be a major headache to send it back for warranty if you ran into issues.

Personally, I'd get an LMT enhanced carrier and use the bolt that it matched to your barrel by WOA.

Thanks for all the helpful comments.

From what I'm reading, it looks like YM make a good product but they may just be over-egging the pudding on the smmother, more accurate, tighter tolerances claims?

I bought this: BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto (IONBOND Finish).
If I could do it over I would not buy it.
The tennifer like finish does clean nicely, however that finish needs to be removed from the bottom of the carrier (where it contacts the hammer and ammunition) as it will sand down the hammer surprisingly quickly.

I like the look of chromed carriers, and they do clean a little easier, but they are more akin to buying bling for your rifle than an actual upgrade.
I highly doubt that the dimensions are better for YM's chromed vrs. their standard carrier.
If anything they are likely to be a little worse due to uniformity issues with the plating.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamilton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought this: BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto (IONBOND Finish).
If I could do it over I would not buy it.
The tennifer like finish does clean nicely, however that finish needs to be removed from the bottom of the carrier (where it contacts the hammer and ammunition) as it will sand down the hammer surprisingly quickly.

I like the look of chromed carriers, and they do clean a little easier, but they are more akin to buying bling for your rifle than an actual upgrade.
I highly doubt that the dimensions are better for YM's chromed vrs. their standard carrier.
If anything they are likely to be a little worse due to uniformity issues with the plating. </div></div>
What hammer did you have? I have ran thousands of rounds without an issue or anything even close to what you said. I wonder why you would have the hammer being sanded down from the finish? Makes no sense, do you have pictures of each?

Hamilton, that wasn't by any chance an RRA 2-stage was it? because they do that on their own, regardless of any finish wear inside the action. RRA NM 2stage have a reputation for piss-poor longevity.

Yes, it was one of my RR 2-stage triggers.
That bolt carrier finish exhibited high drag (During hand cycling) on a JP, and a Geissele as well.
I never let it at the other two hammers long enough to do any damage.
The high drag concerned me enough to remove the finish where it contacts, and it has been a lot smoother because of it.
I have almost 10k of actual rounds, and well over 10k of dry firing on the same RR 2-stage trigger (standard carrier), and it has no abnormal wear.

If you have a force, acting over a distance, work is being done.
It makes perfect sense from a physics standpoint.

Maybe I got a rough one.

Guys, I have an idea for you that might help. Get the less expensive phosphate carrier. Remove the phosphate!

I hate phosphate on my carriers too, so I secured mine in my vise (of course not directly contacting the jaws), and with various and vigorous motions, especially the shoe-shine motion, and with varous grits of sandpaper from 100 to 1000.

For crevaces (I can't spell that word) carefully try a wire brush on a buffer. Finish all surfaces with a wool or foam pad on the buffer and rubbing compound. Wear your glasses. The buffer is going to sling this shit everywhere. But you don't care because you're a man working on your gun and you can do it yourself.
wink.gif

You're goal (obvously) is to remove only the phosphate and NOT to change the dimensions of the carrier.

And don't tell anyone (some of these guys will have to be peeled off the ceiling), but while you're feeling good with the buffer, shine up the part of the bolt carbon sticks to.

If its cold, lube with earl. If its hot, use grease. If you think I'm stupid, piss on it and see what happens.

To me this shiny carrier stuff isn't about bling but about sliding slick and cleaning slick. I just like slick. its just a thing. i know a smith who never cleans. But he wins. So none of it really matters.

I clean up all my carriers if they are rough.
A file, a stone, and some 3 in 1 oil or equivalent is all.
Only the middle stripe on the bottom of the carrier should be done IMO.

I have an YM NM auto bolt carrier (chromed) in my precision AR and it performs very well. I didn't go with their bolt only because it's nothing special. Just a plain old bolt carrier (maybe made to better tolerences) that is chromed plated. Young put a lot of work and engineering making their national match carrier much better than a standard carrier, but didn't do the same when it came to putting their name on a bolt. I went with the LMT enhanced bolt because it offers features that i thought were important to me. Buying the 2 parts seperated was about the same price and buying the complete package from Young.

Since making the original post I've been hunting around.....after seeing the Les baer NM BCG on Midway's UK store at £466 (that's $725.00 compared to only $349 in the US!!?) I've decided to keep things simple.

Will probably go for the LMT enhanced carrier.

I'm pretty sure the les baer bolts and carriers are made by young.

I know they are....but the pricing (here at least) is ridiculous - see my post above. WTF could be worth £466??

MidwayUK has les baer bolt carrier + gas key for 125uk, in stock. It says it comes with key and screws so you may have to stake it or just tighten them down as best you can with some red loctite. After that you just need a firing pin, retainer pin and bolt cam pin and you should be good to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I'd get an LMT enhanced carrier and use the bolt that it matched to your barrel by WOA. </div></div>

In spec barrels and bolts don't need to be matched. They are completely interchangeable parts.

That being said, there is no reason to believe any random barrel or bolt is in spec and you should really check each new gun or upper as you acquire them.

It is good to have a set of headspace gauges.

BCP - sure, there are cheaper ones at Midway...but I was wondering what the "fully tricked up" vwersion could have going for it that makes it worth £466 ($725)?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since making the original post I've been hunting around.....after seeing the Les baer NM BCG on Midway's UK store at £466 (that's $725.00 compared to only $349 in the US!!?) I've decided to keep things simple.

Will probably go for the LMT enhanced carrier. </div></div>

Ive had nothing but bad luck with the enhanced carrier and would not recommend it to anyone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock63</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since making the original post I've been hunting around.....after seeing the Les baer NM BCG on Midway's UK store at £466 (that's $725.00 compared to only $349 in the US!!?) I've decided to keep things simple.

Will probably go for the LMT enhanced carrier. </div></div>

Ive had nothing but bad luck with the enhanced carrier and would not recommend it to anyone. </div></div>

I'm curious, have you been running the full bolt carrier group with the goofy bolt or just the bolt carrier?

I personally have put 2 of these LMT enhanced carriers into builds, but only used the carrier. I use one on a midlength 16" bbl build and on an 18" midlength SPR type build. For some reason I've noted that these midlengths ran SUPER filthy at these 2 barrel lengths. Not sure why, but my 14.5 midlength runs pretty darn clean in comparison. After I swapped the carriers out for LMT's they run clean with no hiccups.

I did however have the MIM carrier key on the newer LMT enhanced come loose. I bought a forged chrome lined carrier key for it from bravo co, but I haven't got around to getting rockset since I wanted to lap it and then put it together the uber way. (Lapped, rockset key to carrier and bolts then stake.) I can't remember where I read about doing it this way, but it sounded bomb proof. As it is I just tightened and re-staked my key.

Oh here's the weird thing, the key came loose but the screws obviously hadn't rotated because of their position in relation to the staking hadn't changed. Took a bit to loosen them from their staked position. When I didn't see anything weird about the hardware or the carrier I just put it all back together. My guess is that it had some rolled over burr or something that made it sit high. Then it got cut by gasses entering the key and finally flushed out of the system leaving the key loose.

Oh and even with the loose key it was still running 100%. Just was caught during cleaning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BCP - sure, there are cheaper ones at Midway...but I was wondering what the "fully tricked up" vwersion could have going for it that makes it worth £466 ($725)? </div></div>

Heated cup holders and cruise control? If you want chromium-zambonium nitride anti-slip finish fine but I don't see how it'll make the rifle more accurate. Just adds to the cool factor.

Just get one from a decent manufacturer and call it good.

Anyone have any more input on pros and cons with the LMT FA enhanced or the Young NM M16 carriers? Trying to decide in the next few days.

I see that if you are buying a Young Mfg NM carrier from Rainier they ship it staked but if buying straight from the manufacturer Young's site says they use a locking compound and do not stake theirs and that warranty may be voided no matter who staked them.

Leaning towards the LMT enhanced with LMT cam and firing pin but looking for more comments from people who might have experience with them.

I like the idea of slowing things down with the heavier carrier. Smoother running, longer dwell time and better extraction all sound good, if its the truth.

Is there any reason to go with the LMT enhanced semi versus full auto with my rifle being semi?

The LMT enhanced carrier is designed to help with over-gassed rifles by bleeding off a little more gas than the standard carrier. Unless your rifle is having problems due to over-gassing, get a standard carrier.

The Young NM carrier will be easier to clean but otherwise makes no difference. So if you want to pay extra for easier clearning, go for it.

Ok, probably going to try my standard one first (once I'm done putting the new gun together). I don't have enough spare $ to start solving problems I might not even have yet.

Thanks