• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Young shooter advice needed

craigp40

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2005
SW PA
Gents, I need some advice from the shooting instructors out there.

I have a young son who is just starting to shoot. He is right eye dominant, but continues to want to shoot left handed. He has a hard time closing only his left eye, so I don't know if he wants to shoot left handed because of that or if it truly is more comfortable for him. I've tried to get him to shoot right handed with both eyes open, but he still goes back to left when he isn't thining about it.

My question: do I continue to force him to shoot right handed? Or do I just let him do what comes natural?

Re: Young shooter advice needed

Is he actually left-handed?

Teach him to shoot with his right. It may be frustrating for you/him now, but when he becomes an avid shooter and buying guns, he will thank you for it someday.

You didn't say whether he is shooting a rifle or a pistol.

If he is right handed and right eye dominant teach him to shoot a pistol right handed.

With a rifle he should learn to shoot from both the strong and weak side.

Teach him to shoot right eyed, that means right handed until it is comfortable. It will take time, but he will get the hang of it. Lay him down prone with a support and work on it.
Then get someone else to work with him for a while, not just dad.

if you're right eye dominate, you must learn to shoot a long gun right handed.

Thanks guys. I've pretty much been changing him back to the right side every time he goes left, but wasn't sure if that was the right approach or not. Sounds like the consensus is to continue this.

The other benefit is that I won't have to buy a bunch of damn useless left handed rifles
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwoolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you're right eye dominate, you must learn to shoot a long gun right handed. </div></div>It doesn't matter: one should learn to shoot a rifle from both sides. Cross dominance only gives trouble when shooting a pistol two-handed, in which case the shooter needs to learn to drop the weak-side cheek to the bicep.

Which is another reason why nobody ever needs a left handed rifle<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: craigp40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The other benefit is that I won't have to buy a bunch of damn useless left handed rifles
smile.gif
.</div></div>

That happen to my son also. It seems to run in the family. My son shoots left handed and is right handed. I thought this is even better. The eye thing is not to big of a deal at an early age. I started my son when he was 6 with 22s. Now shooting 800 yards and working the bag.

Lots of rounds down range. Correct but keep it fun. Good Luck and Good to see young shooters.

All,

For the best results, the shooter should shoulder the rifle from the side of the dominate eye, period. If you're left eye dominate then shoulder left. Of course, when shooting from behind a barricade, or if injured you may need to shoot from the shoulder required for the condition.

My wife is left eye dominate and, I've had hell trying to get her to shoot left handed but, when I was a kid, before I was allowed to pick up a rifle, my eye dominance was tested.... only after that was I allowed to shoot smallbore.

I'm left eye dominate and I was trying to pick the rifle up right handed too. I can't imagine picking one up right handed now.

You may be able to get someone to shoot with their non-dominate eye, however, it's not ideal and, need an eye patch etc. etc. etc.

Since this is a jr. shooter, teach him how to not fight the rifle and sound fundamentals.

Shooting a rifle is beneficial to be able to shoot with both eyes open and, it's VERY VERY hard to do if you are shooting left handed and right eye dominate and, what if, for example, he wants to shoot something like skeet when he gets older when you're almost required to shoot with both eyes open. ( to be any good anyway )

He's young, it's HARD to fight eye dominance... so hard in fact, that you're better off teaching him right handed if he's right eye dominate, IMHO.

Teach him how to shoot in a sling and how bone support is what holds the rifle up. Once you're into a sound shooting position, shooting and not fighting eye dominance will make a lot of sense to him, IMHO. ( or, at least it did to me when I was probably his age )

If you are in a sound shooting position, there is NO WAY you can look through the wrong eye and see anything close to a sight picture.... it's impossible. It starts to make sense really quickly why eye dominance determines which shoulder to put the rifle into.

It may not feel natural for him to shoulder right handed at first but, he will thank you later and, believe it or not, it will become natural for him.

When I started shooting pistol, of course, I struggled with picking that up with my right hand too since it's easy to get a sight picture with a cross dominate eye but, I fought that off and, I shoot pretty damn well left handed and, my weak hand is WAY better than most other guys. LOL

I really think that you should put him into a military web sling and teach him to shoot prone from a sling right handed and see the lights turn on in his head. That way, he is forced to hold the rifle in a proper way and it forces his head to take the proper position on the rifle... from that position, he will use his dominate eye like he's supposed to do.... from that right handed position, ask him if he can get his head to where he can use the other eye.
smile.gif

Or, strap him in left handed just to make the same point.

If you're not forced into a proper shooting position, a kid can do all sorts of gyrations to try to get the wrong eye to work for him.
smile.gif

Of course, everyone enters into shooting differently but, IMHO, kids ( and adults ) should all learn prone, sitting, kneeling, and offhand the proper way.

Of course, my own opinion is my own and, I was lucky enough to be able to learn that way from an early age and I, see the advantages since I was taught that way.

We had a rifle club in my parish/county when I was a kid and hunter's safety was taught and every saturday morning we'd go shoot and qualify for all the nra smallbore awards. During the classes before we were allowed to even go to the range, we were all given an eye dominance test to determine which shoulder we were going to put the rifle into. Believe it or not, this rifle club was sponsored by the parish sheriff and the classes were offered to 6th graders in public school but, since I went to a different school and, my father knew the guy that ran the program, he got me in at 10yrs old. LOL I just had to get there at 3:10pm prompt for the class until the classroom was over with and then we went out every Saturday morning till I was no longer a jr. shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All,

For the best results, the shooter should shoulder the rifle from the side of the dominate eye, period. If you're left eye dominate then shoulder left. Of course, when shooting from behind a barricade, or if injured you may need to shoot from the shoulder required for the condition. </div></div>

+ 1.....When my daughter was 7 years old (started shooting) <span style="color: #FF0000">She is right handed </span>and kept fight ting the rifle just like your son.....

...found out that she is left eye dominate......talked to alot of people from hunters to police rifle instructors....they all said the same as Sterling!!!!!

<span style="color: #FF0000">Your son maybe left eye dominate too!!!</span>

Once I let her start shooting left eye dominate....and left handed shoulder... now she is 16 years and there really isn't anything she couldn't hit or do!!!

Killed many critters from prarie dogs to big game....even an Elk out to 450 yards free handed....

And she can cycle a right handed bolt gun...just as fast or faster than some of the shooters out there....

Be sure your son is not left eye dominate.....trying to force him to shoot right handed could really ruin his real ability at shooting and if it’s not comfortable for him he will loose interest in it all together...