• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Your “go to” hunting rifle?

rookie7

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Georgia
Good morning,

What is your “go to” hunting rifle and caliber for big game where you live?

The one you grab that you have the most confidence in?

If you don’t hunt big game then share your version of your go to hunting rifle.

Thank you for playing.

I have a Ruger M77 in 30-06 that I have supreme confidence in. I took it to Namibia on a plains game hunt and it killed everything I pulled the trigger on.
I have a sporterized Argentine Mauser in 35 Whelen. It will put five 250 grain round noses into a 1.5" circle at 100 yards on demand.

Neither of these rifles, in my memory, has ever failed to feed or extract a round. These are the 2 rifles I trust when something absolutely has to die.

For brush hunting deer and hogs my preference is my Wilson Combat 16" AR in 68spc, for all else I would usually grab my Rem 700 in 270win in a B&C medalist sporter with a Ziess 3-9 on top.

Good morning,

Thank you for playing.

Rem 700 SPS Tactical 308 in a Bell and Carlson Light Tactical stock with Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 shooting 165 Gamekings over Varget.

Sako 7mm-08 stainless with grey laminate furniture. Will be wearing the Bushnell scope from the GAP deal this season.

Meat rifle is Rem 700 SS Mtn rifle w Leupold 6x18 in 30-06. Had it for 28? Yrs. hunt with several dif rifles but it is my meat n taters rifle

I figured more people woud have actual hunting rifles, rather than the same bag of hammers they shoot longrange with.:D

There are a lot of different ways to hunt. If your dropping me off in a blind over a bean field it’s going to be a different rifle then stalking elk in the mountains.

So i don’t have a go to unless I know what I’m hunting.

But I’m Working on a Winchester/proof/HTG(edge)/300wsm that might fill the roll this fall.

Reactions: JimmyH
.243 kimber montana for whitetail, light and gets the job done

Haven't hunted with it lately but my goto rifle for many years was a Belgian (FN) made Browning BLR in 308 topped with a Zeiss 4x32 scope. Bought the rifle when I was 18 in 1973 and harvested many a deer and a few elk with it. Lightweight and accurate.

Reactions: Flintdog2011
At the moment my go-to rifle is my custom built on a Mausingfield action with a TBAC Ultra-9, though it's quite heavy. In a few weeks my go-to will be an AIAT since I'm usually only box stand hunting anyway.

Reactions: schmi015
PVA built 6.5 saum
Bighorn TL3
24" Proof
Mcmillan M40A1 HTG
S&B 5-20×50 US
20180626_202005.jpg

PVA built 6.5 saum
Bighorn TL3
24" Proof
Mcmillan M40A1 HTG
S&B 5-20×50 USView attachment 6939613

How do you like that scope on there? Looks like it fits the rifle perfect. I have been trying to figure out glass for my build which is pretty similar, except the action. I’ve been on the fence with a 4-16 ATaCR, but thinking a ultra short might be nice.

How do you like that scope on there? Looks like it fits the rifle perfect. I have been trying to figure out glass for my build which is pretty similar, except the action. I’ve been on the fence with a 4-16 ATaCR, but thinking a ultra short might be nice.

It's a good combination, there is alot of awesome packed into that short package. I wish it was a little bit lighter, 30oz is just a tad on the heavy side for a hunting optic. I'm at 11 pounds total weight, that stock is 3 pounds though, if I went carbon it would drop a full pound off the build. The pantone color makes it hard to read the turret, I'd get black if I had to do it again.

Thanks. That sounds about perfect. I have a Edge HTG for mine and might have to start looking for a 3-20 ultra short. Have you had any issues with the reticle being too thin for hunting?

I have the MSR its plenty thick enough, I also have a couple Schmidt with the P4F and its good for hunting too. Both look like a standard duplex at lowest power. I have a 3-20 ultra short on my heavy saum, I prefer the 5-20, much shorter package all together, not really loosing anything with 5x compared to 3x bottom end.
20171112_084532.jpg

I have the MSR its plenty thick enough, I also have a couple Schmidt with the P4F and its good for hunting too. Both look like a standard duplex at lowest power. I have a 3-20 ultra short on my heavy saum, I prefer the 5-20, much shorter package all together, not really loosing anything with 5x compared to 3x bottom end.
View attachment 6939958

Sorry, I may have missed it, but what is that chambered in? Sick builds, both of them!!!

My “new” favorite is a 300 win. Trued 700, bartlien barrel, Manners T4, and a 5 to 25 ATACR. It’s a heavy pig to pack but it’s sure nice when you get there.

7mm08 just can find a better set up for my needs. I’ve tried, always looking for a reason to build something else. But it’s low recoil, light, and short. Absolute hammer on deer and pigs when I hunted such with a rifle.
Hell I like it so much I’m building a new version on the Origin action when it arrives. And haven’t hunted game with a rifle in 20 years.

A box stock Remington 700LH CDL in 30-06 threaded for a suppressor. This rifle is extremely accurate and easy to develop a load for. Currently experimenting with Ramshot Hunter and a variety of 165gr bullets. It'll also shoot 1/2 moa groups regularly with Sierra Pro-Hunter 180's and AA4064, they are a bit slow though.

Haven't hunted with it lately but my goto rifle for many years was a Belgian (FN) made Browning BLR in 308 topped with a Zeiss 4x32 scope. Bought the rifle when I was 18 in 1973 and harvested many a deer and a few elk with it. Lightweight and accurate.
I use the same rifle with a low profile redfield 3x9 that I got in 1982. Won’t part with it ever...

Reactions: Crang
Tikka T3 lite in .260rem under a Leupold VX6 3-18x44.

Don’t do the big stuff anymore so it’s a Wilson 556, 16” barrel w/ Eotech and magnifier for coyotes. Bennelli M2 field for my feathered friends and on occasion coyotes. I use others for different parts of the state but those are my primary’s.

I've had a number of rifles that have come and gone but a 1970 M700 BDL in .25-06 has stuck for everything mule deer and smaller. For elk/moose, I have a M700 classic in. 300 wby.

That looks like a nice handy package. I have been temped to do something similar, or maybe in 35whelen, for hunting elk in the brush

That looks like a nice handy package. I have been temped to do something similar, or maybe in 35whelen, for hunting elk in the brush

I flipped a coin over the 338-06 vs Whelen. Can’t go wrong with a Whelen. Actually a fair bit easier to find ammo for the Whelen. I don’t shoot factory ammo, but if I did that would be important. I hunt mostly bear, but used it on elk last year. Already whacked a bear with it this spring (Canada), and will be doing bear and deer with it in a few weeks in Cali.

Reactions: Ronws and hseII
Good morning,

Thank you for playing.

In North or East St. Louis I use the SCAR 17 and about 25 mags. After a little softening by a 155MM Palidin.

Reactions: deersniper
View attachment 6939958

Hi mate, can I ask how your experience has been with that action? I'm tossing up between the Badger or Tempest for my next short action build, and want to use a Badger for a 338NM build.

Not a fan, bolt lift is really heavy and yhe action is really heavy. Id suggest the Curtis if you want 3 lugs, its amazing. Where are you located? I may have a 338 norma hitting the market.

Last edited: