• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your .300wm action

Møønlight

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2010
Colorado
I'm in the market for a .300wm action build here. The goal is 5x shots inside 15" @ 1500 yds. on a lucky/good day.

I am adding a poll. If you can please back up your vote or add picture's of results, stories or what have you, to help out that would be great.

Thanks Hider's,
-Ms

Re: Your .300wm action

Do you need a repeater ?

Strictly long range target shooting?

I would think single shot bat set up for the new hybrids

If repeater surgeon 1086 or xl if you ever think a Norma or lapua could be in your future

Both are great with one being a bit more money for it's super construction, but not necessarly more accurate. If you feel you need a "built like a tank" action, then the Surgeon is the way to go. If you want to shoot on par with the best, but don't want to spend the the extra bucks, and don't plan on droping it out of a plane, then Defiance will work great. Then again if you have the extra bucks, why not? Again, both are great.

Very few people can shoot groups like that even with a benchrest gun. Reading wind is hard at that distance. Most custom actions and even trued Rem actions can do it but not every time. The problem is the shooter and his reloads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very few people can shoot groups like that even with a benchrest gun. Reading wind is hard at that distance. Most custom actions and even trued Rem actions can do it but not every time. The problem is the shooter and his reloads. </div></div>

Obviously with a FV or even HV wind @ 15 mph plus it is going to make it a challenge. And the Army's new XM2010 has a max effective range of 1500 meters. Max effective meaning kill shot's inside of 15". So if so few people are capable of this, why would the mex effective range be 1500 meters?

With a M24 I can hit inside 15" "most of the time" @ 800 meters and the max effective range for that weapon system is 800 meters. None of this is with hand loads, it's not a beer-belly-bench-rest, and I am far from being any white-feather. I was not capable of this at first; I made it a goal and the goal was achieved.

Respectfully,
-Ms

The Surgeon if you are going the custom route, but if you have the money and are willing to spend it for the ultimate setup, an Accuracy International AW in 300WM is your ticket to awesomeness.

I have a trued Rem action in an AICS chassis. I'm started to get the parts together for my next 300WM build, and looking at the Defiance action in a McMmillian A5 stock.

My current 300WM is capable of 1/4-moa, but I have to agree with excaliber. At that distance wind makes things difficult, it's a challenge with the wind at ELR distances, even with my 338LM. Sure, on a perfect day with little wind, it's possible to hit inside 15", but how often do you see "no wind" at 1500-yards?

Shooting a 308Win at 800-yards is childs-play. I can consistantly hit a 10" plate at that distance using a factory Rem 5R and FGMM ammo. Double that distance, and your compairing apples to oranges.

Mine is done on a BAT action and I love it. Yet to really ring it out but initial work with 208 A Max is very good. Id be happy with a a surgeon as well

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The goal is 5x shots inside 15" @ 1500 yds. on a lucky/good day.</div></div>
Pick whatever action you can get a good deal on, then have it blessed by the pope. Sorry, had to say it
smile.gif

I'm going to agree with excaliber. Nothing wrong with having goals but 1500 yards is exponentiallly harder than 800. I would imagine that the only way you could hit with any consistancy would be to get a computerized weapons system like the Cheytec. Not saying it's not possible. Dating Selma Heyak is possible too.

On a "lucky/good day" I have put 5 rounds on a 20" plate at 1500 yards with my 18" barrel 308. If your goal is based only on "lucky/good" days, any old action will work.

Hitting a 15" target most of the time at 800 yards is not near the same thing as a 15" target at 1500 yards regardless of caliber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On a "lucky/good day" I have put 5 rounds on a 20" plate at 1500 yards with my 18" barrel 308. If your goal is based only on "lucky/good" days, any old action will work.

Hitting a 15" target most of the time at 800 yards is not near the same thing as a 15" target at 1500 yards <span style="color: #FF6666">regardless of caliber</span>. </div></div>

Ok now I know you don't know what your talking about, <span style="font-weight: bold">no poon intended</span>. <span style="font-style: italic">Regardless of caliber</span>? So your telling me it's hard to hit inside of 15" with a .338 norma/Lapua magnum? 1500 yds. is swiss cheese for that weapon with anyone "decent" behind it. How about a 20mm vulcan. That hard to do it with also? You did say any caliber.

So you can hit 1500 yds. w/ a .308 on a 20" plate... It's possible but highly unlikely. You CAN'T compare a .308 along-side a .300wm. We can get into terminal velocity if you would like. One shoots almost twice the distance as the other. So when you say you can hit a 20" plate @ 1500 meters what makes you think a .300 which destroys the .308 in the distance category isn't capable of 15" @ 1500 yds.?

I am rather enjoying this conversation
smile.gif

Respectfully,
-Ms