• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your ammo makes all the difference.....

fpgt72

Old Salt
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2019
Oddly enough, go figure. You people spend so much effort on your ammo for your rifles, do you really think that a pellet rifle is no different? I think we have all listened to the "rimfires are picky" in some form or another over the years. Two guns from the same company 10 digits off SN# one will only shoot CCI straight, but the other will out shoot it using golden bucket.

Air rifles are worse.

I told the story somewhere about the gun club that did air rifle matches, and how I won it with basically a crossman 2100 classic inside one rainy afternoon. I also said I worked on getting that rifle shooting as good as I could. In cruising the photos I came across two during an early stage of the process. Target had the same point of aim, and 5 rounds on each target. The results are interesting. Same gun, just different pellets. As you can see it really hated the H&N pellets. I don't remember what I used, but I think it was a H&N FTT, but don't remember the size, they are busted out by .0X IIRC.

The gun is a Remington branded Crosman, only difference is it is black. The wobbley table was just fine at this stage out of the garage, good enough to weed out the non starters, and I could be under the AC.

1678371691704.png

1678371823942.png

I couldn't agree with you more on Pellet or Slug testing. You need to find a tune for each slug or pellet in its weight. Once that is collected write it all down. Once it's the best one buy all the slugs or pellets you can and you are set.

Reactions: Bandit320
At what distance were those targets shot ?
25 yards.

The club got a waver from the city to use the old rifle range for air rifles. The "powder" range moved about 40 miles east into the country. There is still a 25 yard indoor range there. When it would be raining the airgun guys would use that building for some....fall back.....games. 25 yards was the distance so that is what I shot at. The old rifle range was built into a pretty good hill, almost a cliff. Now at the top of that cliff you can see houses. Urban sprawl. The club I go to for shotguns has the same problem, they moved the hand gun and rifle stuff out to De Soto but left the rest there. They will not allow anything larger then #7 as they fear the shot may carry too far. That club even had an "old west" town they built during the height of SASS. Never did play that game, if I did I would want to with black powder and I am still not into that part yet.

Thanks........
My Diana Stormrider is a tack driver at 30 yards, with most wad cutters. It's a mess at 50 yards though. I've done a little experimenting, but haven't found the ammo answer for that distance yet.

Ditto. I've shot a bunch to find out what my pellet gun likes.

Just like my FTR guns, it likes heavy and slow for longer distances.

Yep , try different brands(though JSB and H&N will normally be at the top) different weights and different head size.

Reactions: thebeav
Yep , try different brands(though JSB and H&N will normally be at the top) different weights and different head size.

I really like how H&N bust out the sizes. Here is one I just grabbed real quick, look at the different sizes. And I can tell you from my hillbilly testing that it does make a difference, enough difference to see without measuring.

1678964400159.png

I have never shot a pellet and do not intend to but the same goes for slugs as well. I have an M3 and the Zan's shoot the best. NSA and H&N also shoot really well just not quite as good as Zan

pretty sure JSB makes the FX brand pellets, and you should have similar results.
Yeah JSB makes the FX pellets, but the FX pellets use a different mold than the JSB. If you look at the pellets closely you will be able to see differences between them.

There are some of my rifles that will honestly shoot one over the other better, but they are both great brands and typically rated as some of the best. Aside from some of the 10m pellets

Actually chrono'd bunch of JSB and H&N couple years ago when I was seeing what my .22 pellet rifle liked.

Just like my FTR rifle, it liked slow and heavy. :)