• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your best performing 22LR "bulk" ammo

OldSalty

Just salty.
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2019
I shoot quite a bit of 22LR. Nothing fancy rifle/pistol wise. A CZ455, a stainless bull barreled Target 10/22, a Buckmark Target Pistol, Ruger Mark IV, an old Marlin and an old Rem Target Master...to name a few.

Ive tried several diff ammo options and have found the Federal Auto Match bulk pack 40gr LRN (comes in the 325 round brick) to be among the best overall for all my rifles and pistols.

Especially the CZ, Buckmark and Rugers.

The rounds are solid and the bullet is nicely seated. Ive shot literally 1000s and 1000s and have very few failures all things considered.

A few brands I have never tried include Aguila, RWS and Geco.

Anyways...what is your go to bulk for 22LR?

For sure. I understand there are tradeoffs and that the premium match 22LR are likely more consistent overall. Was just looking to discuss peoples various bulk go-to.

This is a pretty typical group from my 10/22 bull barrel target. Has the upgraded Ruger trigger but otherwise factory...not bad for "cheap" bulk. Of course results will vary significantly.

Shoot-n-see 3in in diameter target at 100 yards.
AM22.jpg

ETA: I never had luck with Winchester. The bullets were seated loose and you could actually hear differences in the charge shot by shot.

I did have good luck with the copper plated CCI AR-22 ammo, but it went way up in price after it came out, so I stopped buying. Still have a few 1000 of them but just going to hang onto them for now.

Last edited:
My custom built 10/22 clone w/ 18" SHAW bull barrel likes mini-mag target the best so far. I just got a Magnetospeed last week and tested the Federal Auto Match, it came out 1203 avg 7.9 SD & 39 ES. Not bad!

ES of 39? How many shots recorded?
I shoot across a chrony when testing ammo or diagnosing accuracy problems.
I record the results from the entire box along with the target results.
Too small a sample can produce incorrect conclusions.
I want 50 shots minimum, 100 preferred.

SD tells you what 2 out of 3 shots did.
ES is what loses competitions.

Does CCI Standard Velocity count as bulk here? I mean, compared to Lapua Biathlon Xtreme or something, most 22lr is low cost bulk :p

Lol yeah good point. 22LR is relitively inexpensive right now. But when you shoot 2000-3000 / month the cost can add up.

I have tried the CCI standard. Most of my 22s are better with the Auto Match.

As for cost, I would put bulk at around 0.05 cents per round.

As for cost, I would put bulk at around 0.05 cents per round.
We really have enjoyed cheap 22LR the last few years.
Target sports had most of their stuff rotating weekly @ $0.03.
I spent 3 months buying 5 to 10k a week, gave away a lot of it as Christmas presents.

The CCI 300 round packs were selling for next to nothing, now they are back up around $.06-.08 a round.
For really good 22LR ammo I am fortunate to be able to buy locally.

Some folks get lucky with the rimfire lottery.
They get decent results with CCI SV on a regular basis.
I'm not so lucky, not at all. CCI's lack of quality control shows up way too often
in the cases of 22lr I've purchased over the years. The current bricks show some nasty problems.
The worst being bullet material crimped down over the case mouth onto the brass.
The strays caused by those uneven bullet bases are annoying as snot. :(

Yeah, CCI SV is bulk ammo.

Reactions: JohnTheFisherman
I've ran regular Federal and Winchester bulk in some of my old (like 1940's) Remington 513T's and fiveteens.

Some of them seemed to do much better with copper plated full speed stuff.

Granted, these weren't Annie's or anything.

And make no mistake....I chrono'd 100rnds and the spread would be 80fps. So they are what they are.

A guy shooting 50yds and in might get away somewhat with the performance of the bulk pack stuff.

But the NRL22 "Bonus stages" are getting farther and farther. We had a 280yd plate in November. The other thing to keep in mind is the targetry.....full speed ammo has an advantage on things like spinners. And true target stuff has the advantage on paper stages.

I personally have no problem with guys running bulk....if their rifles shoot them well or they are acknowledging the tradeoffs.

What size plate at 280?

I shoot quite a bit of 22LR. Nothing fancy rifle/pistol wise. A CZ455, a stainless bull barreled Target 10/22, a Buckmark Target Pistol, Ruger Mark IV, an old Marlin and an old Rem Target Master...to name a few.

Ive tried several diff ammo options and have found the Federal Auto Match bulk pack 40gr LRN (comes in the 325 round brick) to be among the best overall for all my rifles and pistols.

Especially the CZ, Buckmark and Rugers.

The rounds are solid and the bullet is nicely seated. Ive shot literally 1000s and 1000s and have very few failures all things considered.

A few brands I have never tried include Aguila, RWS and Geco.

Anyways...what is your go to bulk for 22LR?

I have had the same experience with the Federal auto match in my 10/22 and mark 3. I tried some other target ammo over the years but they did not do as good in my guns. I always wanted to try wolf 22lr but it was always out of stock so I just gave up lol.

I like the Federal Auto Match the best of the bulk ammo I've tried. BiMart was closing it out last summer and I bought a bunch for plinking. My son uses it in his 455 but CCI SV shoots a little better in it.

I was hitting steel at 354 yards using Federal Match. Not as consistently as the CCI SV, but it hit more than once. I was surprised and impressed. Otherwise, the SK offering offer a lot of value. Was shooting just over MOA @100 w/ SK Standard which can be had for $5.50/box. My favorite "bulk" ammo is CCI-SV but I'm not sure you'd consider it bulk. Kinda in the middle of bulk and low end premium.

I was hitting steel at 354 yards using Federal Match. Not as consistently as the CCI SV, but it hit more than once. I was surprised and impressed. Otherwise, the SK offering offer a lot of value. Was shooting just over MOA @100 w/ SK Standard which can be had for $5.50/box. My favorite "bulk" ammo is CCI-SV but I'm not sure you'd consider it bulk. Kinda in the middle of bulk and low end premium.

Do not have issues hitting a 8in steel plate at 300 consistently with Auto Match. Thats as far as I have tried to date. Going to take the 455 and 10/22 out this weekend and give 400 a try. Standing 200yd (again 8 in plate) off hand with the Mark IV (open sights) and Buck Mark (red dot) is pretty fun too :)

CCI SV It's been good in my 455. 8x8 @ 200 is easy unless the wind is bipolar.

I have the best accuracy with Center X and Midas +. I just got through testing some Center X. I have a case of it and Midas on the way. ES on the Midas was under 20. The lot of Center X was also under 20 but they only had 1 case left

I have the best accuracy with Center X and Midas +. I just got through testing some Center X. I have a case of it and Midas on the way. ES on the Midas was under 20. The lot of Center X was also under 20 but they only had 1 case left

At 0.25-0.30 each I hope they bring you much joy or win you some medals/trophies/money.

I know, I know...go be poor somewhere else.

:)

The reason I get it by the case is. I let a lot of people shoot my guns. I supply the ammo. There is time I give other shooters ammo to try out. I don't charge any shooter anything to shoot my rifles or try my ammo in their rifle. I have them shoot it to show what lot testing is all about

Most of the matches I shoot cost 5 bucks to enter. That covers target and range time. There is no trophys or payout.

If you or anyone else wants to shoot a match with my 22s in N. Texas or S. Oklahoma . I will supply the guns and ammo for free

That is awesome for you to offer @nesikabay. I live too far away but there might be others that would take you up on that offer.

The CCI Clean subsonic is pretty nice for suppressor use, especially if your using a sealed can. I have just recently started using it And I’ve been pretty happy. CCI SV for everything else.

Reactions: Gustav7
For the really cheap HV stuff, I have found Winchester Wildcat to outshoot CCI blazer, federal lightning, remington TB, and certainly any plated garbage. I refuse to shoot plated garbage in any of my guns. My MK Ii match pistol is fed mostly Winchester wildcat. The Wildcat is also the second most reliable feeding of any of these behind the Remington which is the most reliable but also poorest accuracy.

If your willing to go a step up, CCI Standard Velocity in the cardboard 500rd bricks is an incredible value. Since the demise of the Eley / Aguila purple box sport stuff (which was also a great value and is much missed), there is nothing near it in performance. Depending on which rifle and lot of ammo, the CCI SV actually outshoots the lower level Wolf / SK stuff as well as fed 711b much of the time at substantially less cost.

In my rifles, I shoot the CCI SV stuff much of the time and Lapua Center-X when I am serious. The Center-X obliterates anything cheaper than it and, in my best rifle, beats substantially higher cost stuff from other makers as well.

Reactions: skatz11
Not to get off topic here. But you have a choice shoot accurate or shoot cheap. It all comes down to what you want. Cheap ammo have fun. nothing wrong with it. Better ammo shoot better and win now and then. Or shoot great ammo and test your self. and your gun. You can shoot all the bulk ammo you want and blame losing to shooters that put in time. or bought a match. You cant buy a match. You lose because you were beat.

Can a 600 dollar CZ beat a 2500 gun. Yes if the shooter was prepared and good. By good I mean lot testing ammo for his gun and shooting

Auto Match shoots almost a good as Eley force in my Kidd barrel 10-22. We use the auto match for position practice. Force for matches

Reactions: MarshallDodge
I shot this today along with some other bulk ammo. 50 yards with a cz 452 American. Shot prone with a bipod no rear bag. 590905DF-AD03-43C6-A29B-65CFFC0BAEE2.jpeg

Find the best that works for you, but I also look at how clean my 22LR ammo is. 22LR ammo can be VERY dirty, making it a pain to clean the rifle after shooting it for some time. I have this nasty habit of going out with family and friends and shooting more than 1000 rounds of 22LR and on most occasions, and up to 3000 rounds other times. When you shoot that much in one day, a clean ammo is just as important as an accurate ammo. Considering that many of those shots are at 25-50 yards, accuracy isn't all that important.

Well, if you come, we'll see if your CZ can beat my $2500 rifle

Sure thing. But bragging about beating a base class rifle doesnt impress many people. ?

I have all the proof I need to show its not 100% about rifle and money. The person behind the trigger is what truly matters.

Don't be upset that your fellow Vudoo owners arent all elite level. Some have more money than skill. ?

Last edited:
I wasn't going to let your boastful talk go unchallenged. Bring it on tough guy!

Maybe you should worry about people in your own class. Just my 2 cents. Words spoken in a forum are merely words. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

Sure, I've beat a fair number of Vudoo rifles. But I've been kicked in the face by cheaply built 10/22's and a savage. Doesnt matter.

?

Has anyone tried the SK "Magazine" ammo? I have exceptional luck with Standard Plus and Rifle Match. Always wondered what the quality of the Mag was.

Has anyone tried the SK "Magazine" ammo? I have exceptional luck with Standard Plus and Rifle Match. Always wondered what the quality of the Mag was.
At 3x the cost at what I would consider “bulk” - but sure, Lapua ammo has been great to me :)

My understanding of the sk magazine is that it’s sk standard plus that did not meet accuracy requirements. Since it only $5 to $10 less than the sk standard plus to me it’s not worth buying. I get good accuracy out of geco and federal 510 for a lot cheaper than sk magazine.

I used to swear by Automatch, and I think it's still probably the most reliable and accurate "cheap" bulk ammo if you want "high" velocity. That said these days I stock up on Wolf Match or CCI SV but I always have some Automatch around. One thing to keep in mind is that some semi-autos want/need the higher velocity to run reliably, while others say to avoid anything hotter than standard velocity.

Across my guns, Wolf Match has been the cheapest best performing ammo accuracy wise, CCI SV at half the price is pretty close, and I'd never turn away Automatch if it shows up for it's old price of $12 a box.

Reactions: Appalachian
I shot some today federal 510. For cheap ammo it seems to be the best now out of 2 different rifles. Cz 452 American and a cz 457 varmint. 50 yards

71746630-861B-4696-A2F0-DCA8352EB87C.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: OldSalty
Ordered 4 bricks of Geco "match" today. Thought what the hell, I will give it a try.

I have some Geco .357 and its pretty good. So maybe the 22 will surprise me.

Reactions: Codiekfx400