• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your Dremel: Model, Use, Tips, Tricks, Cautions etc...

BobD

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2012
An incredibly versatile tool... and great addition to the workbench. Although certainly not heavy duty, its nice to have around when small amounts of material need to removed, shaped or polish.

Part of my interest in writing this was to make a place where recommended additions (perhaps a 3rd party workstation like shown at bottom) or unique purposes for a Dremel/other rotary tool could be shared.

Have you made a compartment or smoothed a junction in a pistol grip or stock?
Have you squared off or shortened a sight post you ordered that was too high?
Have you used chromium oxide or jewelers rouge with a buffing attachment to polish a trigger, sear or bolt?
Have you found better quality bits?
Have you learned the hard way where or how it can mess something up or is the wrong tool for the job?

I think it could be also constructive if anyone has discovered things to avoid as well, such as an inferior model or use. Might save someone the wasted material or headache.

My new Dremel 4000 (6 attachment 50 piece kit with workstation)

20130614_102115_zps55ecc513.jpg

20130614_102020_zps5a2305cd.jpg

20130614_100222_zps8ad5fb4a.jpg

What I like about the 4000

Variable output is 5,000-35,000 RPM at 1.6 amp
Operation is smooth with very little vibration throughout its range.
Compatible with all previous and current attachments
5 year warrantee (longest from product line)

I'm a fan of the three foot flex cable available by Dremel and would certainly recommend it. The small, pen sized body makes detail work much easier than trying to steady the whole 18-20oz.

I'll add that it's not suited to sharpen blades, the high RPM at even the lowest setting could build up enough heat to ruin the temper of your steel. Additionally, removing material so quickly would make it near impossible to create an even bevel.

I stumbled across this in a search. Any of you using something similar?
post-acramill_zps39663a97.jpg

Whats your experience?

My experience? About 15 years ago I replaced my worn out Dremel with a Foredom tool. Hang up model with foot control. It just hangs out of the way at the end of a bench ready to go at any time. Handpieces can be switched quickly for different applications. I prefer the Foredom tool over the Dremels I owned prior to the Foredom.

On a number of occasions, I've secured a dremel to a boring bar (via hoseclamps) on the lathe for various tasks:

1. Grinding snap ring grooves into racecar axle shafts
2. OD grinding various items, including a Glock 29 barrel, to custom fit it to my Glock 36.
3. And more! Use your imagination!

I have the 4k and have used it to....

Optimize the firing pin protrusion by removing material from the front of the hammer on a kimber 82g. I used the side of a cut off disc for this fine grinding and the result was smoother and more square than factory. The firing pin protrusion was also correct.

Sand and shape areas of that same 82g stock to accept an adjustable cheek piece. For this I used a small sanding drum and rotozip bit.

Alter a magpul MOE grip to fit a first gen SCAR lower. This involved various high speed cutting bits.

Did some work on the adjustable cheek piece I designed for my AR. This involved sanding drums and a high speed cutter.

Cleaned and removed locktight from previously locktighted ring cap screws using a wire brush.

Engraved my contact information under the 82g butt plate just in case using a small high speed cutter.

As to what other bits and attachments I have found usefull:

Rotozip bits are an absolute must though one must be careful using them during gun stock modifications as much practice is necessary not to have them run amok. I have found Gyros giant cut off wheels excellent for automotive use though keep in mind I have burned up 2 dremels using them on automotive work where they were the only thing that would fit in and got so hot that I wore welding gloves and they burnt up. It still saved money.

Just remember, the 3 most common firearm malfunctions are caused by:
Lack of maintenance
Bad Ammo
Dremel Tools!!!!

My experience? About 15 years ago I replaced my worn out Dremel with a Foredom tool. Hang up model with foot control. It just hangs out of the way at the end of a bench ready to go at any time. Handpieces can be switched quickly for different applications. I prefer the Foredom tool over the Dremels I owned prior to the Foredom.

Same here. Picked up a Foredom TX with the post that it hangs from just above my workbench, and a foot pedal that regulates speed. I've used it for everything from quick fitting of small parts to porting and polishing a manifold for my Lotus. Well worth the price.