• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Your farthest hits ever?

woodspider

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2005
For vicarious folks like myself!! To date... what has been the farthest actual distance you have ever made a "hit" ? on the 2 following "target" types/categories" Give the target,range and caliber of gun

1) Steel, can, or paper targets etc??

2) Man or beast?

My answers are 1) Steel 12 x 20 in. @ 1250 w/ 300 WinMag

2) Beast (Deer @ 665 yds.) w/ 300 WinMag

Re: Your farthest hits ever?

So far for me.
1 gal. milk jug @ 1425 yds. (3 in a row) 300 WM
Elk @ 516 yds. 6X7 Bull 338 WM

Steel gong 12"(?) at 1Km (listed as 1123yd). 'Buffalo' aiming gong on Whittington Center Silhouette Range, incorporated as part of a life-sized buffalo silhouette. Using factory Savage .260 24" barrel and Lapua 139gr Scenars. Took some time to find a holdover as my scope had run out of elevation, but once I was on, the hits got pretty regular. BTW, this was during a rain shower. If you haven't shot an F Class rifle at 1Kyd/1Km, this may sound like something mundane, but folks who do this regularly will recognize that maintaining roughly 1MOA at that distance is not such terribly bad shooting after all. I only got to shoot that distance once, but the experience left me with quite a fond memory.

Greg

I've nailed a few X's at 1K in Service Rifle matches. With a scoped rifle I haven't shot out nearly as far yet LOL.

A couple of weeks ago multiple hits on a approx 20"x20" rock face at 2001 yards with 408 Chey Tac in 15-20 mph winds. The 408 made it easy.

ROB - - what did the cheytac do to the rock ??? What if it was a 20X20 steel plate??

Made a nice big impact dust cloud. Don't think it would go through a steel plate at that range but it would ring it well. It did to the steel at 1850 we hit before that.

Headshot - 2 times on a couple of young and small northeastern woodchucks (woodchuck- same as any other 'redneck' only smaller! ) 381 yards, very slight downhill angle as shot was from an overlooking field down over a small valley and part way back up the other side 50 yards short of the treeline......

First one was still- popped him and the hit flopped him up and over backwards- - - the other chuck ran around in circles because it couldn't get back into the hole because number 1's body was blocking it. Put headshot on him when he slowed down after his third lap around the hole.

Spotter confirmed shots and hits as expected with no great fanfare or anything but the remarks of the farmer/field owner that witnessed it was priceless--- it was bang... bang... pause, pause, check with laser, brief spotter-shooter dialogue, pause, pause, ..... "holy shit" and then he went back to his tractor and drove on.

Added - rem 700pss in 308-- fed gold medal 168's (this was about 8 years ago)

What do you think/guess-- one shot out of the Cheytac- maybe $8 bucks a piece ???

About $4.60.

You've also hit targets farther than 381 yards. I've seen it
wink.gif

Coolest ive done with a 308 AND 7MM RM 6"x4" poper target each rifle hit multiple times at 1043 yards one little change in wind and its over ..

I did use siters on a rock wall below the targets so I Cheated..

Best I can do CB is hit a 13"wx31"T Steel beam at 1000 yards 70% of the time with a Overbore and 30% with a 308..I dont pick the best days so its a Honest average in all weather conditions..

% are a guess I like to keep it on the low side for sure..

YES -- hits??-- ROB-

But whacking an innocent piece of non-moving paper or steel isn't as much to speak of as whackin an innocent woodchuck with -one shot, one kill, run woody run !!

I still have flashbacks thinkin of it.

Clay birds at 1000,x-ring also FTR 308

a fridge and water heater at 1180 with a 45-120 sharps, very interesting with that one.

got a yote at 1612 with the 50, first round hit, cold bore baby........

well I like to say that but the round acutally fell a couple yards short and bounced into him but I'll take it! This happened the other day until then it had never been driven past 450, needless to say I got major wood.

I could be an airsoft god!

500 yd on a prairie dog with a 22-250. However, the shot that I'm the most proud of is a fly (yes, insect) @ 100yd--1st shot. Actually it was the third shot, but I'd shot 2 shots through the same hole, then a fly came and landed on my target and sat in the hole from the last 2 shots, so I shot it. Here's the pic:

dsc0016rh7.jpg

Clipped this guy last fall at 560 yards with a 260gr Nosler Accubond out of a Rem700 .375 Ultra Mag. I have shot several over the years further out but that was before the invent of the digital camera :) Hit him dead center of the chest facing me head on, laid him out and recovered the bullet just in front of the pelvic bone(Steep down hill shot).

DSC01088.jpg

The recovered bullet...

DSC01103.jpg

at least you got him,I missed two shots last year on an even bigger buck at 700+ yards with a .375 ultra mag,couldnt get a range at all with the crappy RXIV (leupold)rangloser,WHOOPS,I meant rangefinder.It went down the road the next day.

steel at 1920yds

Last years deer 810yds

both with my 338 Lapua, all it has done is make me want a 408.

55galon drum at 2300yrd with a custom build 50bmg.

I shot the center ouf an Ace of Spades at 1,000 meters with 3 shots. I curved it around a person standing in front of me by flinging the barrel as the bullet was leaving it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SP308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">YES -- hits??-- ROB-

But whacking an innocent piece of non-moving paper or steel isn't as much to speak of as whackin an innocent woodchuck with -one shot, one kill, run woody run !!

I still have flashbacks thinkin of it. </div></div>

That's a really a great story. I laughed out loud at the farmer's reaction, I can just imagine the look on his face, LOL!

I killed a deer @ 87 yards with mt bow does that count?
1000 yards with a 5R is my best to date on paper.

1000 yd. paper and steel with .308
3 praire dogs in a row @ 615yd. with an AR using 69gr.SMK
Yote at 350 yd. on dead run slight angle away, hit her in back of the head bullet came out her left eye with 4 power Meopta K-dot on an AR with the 69's.

I've made a few decent shot's in my life,
1000 on paper during F-Class,
920 on steel with 308,
1250-1300 with 300WM on steel.
But I have been witness to some of the damndest shots in my life made by another member here on the Hide. If I didn't see it, and there were 4 witnesses including myself, I wouldn't believe it.
A crow, flying at somewhere between 235-250 yards with a Marlin Model 39 lever action, 22LR, with open sights. A bet was made before the shot, and someone still owes someone else a new truck
smile.gif

And he fired one round. The fucker does that kinda one in a million shit too many times for it to be more than just coincidence. He's hell on moving targets and has taught me a thing or to about shooting.

Thanks for sharing , cool to see what everybody has been able to do. Good shit!

1450 yard hit on a jeep body with a Barrett Light fifty

uncountable number of hits on 1kyard paper with 308 using both iron sighted M1A and a bolt action 308

one unknown distance 308 bolt gun hit on a 16x16 inch steel plate . the plate was lasered after the shoot at 1150 yards

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spr1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do handguns count? IPSC target sized steel at 440yds.... .45 Auto </div></div>

shocked.gif

How in the hell?

Steel @ approximately 1120 yards (haven't tried further)

white-tailed deer @ 613 yards with Mark 5 chambered in 30-378

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
white-tailed deer @ 613 yards with Mark 5 chambered in 30-378 </div></div>

How'd that work out for him......
grin.gif

Rock at 1910 yds with 338 Edge (approx 24" in diameter rock, hit 3 of 4 shots in the wind)

Mule Deer at 732 yds with a 7mm STW (before I built my Edge)

2 liter soda bottle full of red dyed water at 1 mile(in the snow). 2nd round hit.

Shot with 338 RUM and 300 gr SMK.

I shoot out to 150 yards with my bow on bag targets and 100 yards on 3d targets. makes those shorter shots a piece of cake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt.creedmoor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
white-tailed deer @ 613 yards with Mark 5 chambered in 30-378 </div></div>

How'd that work out for him......
grin.gif
</div></div>

The 180 gr. Barnes X won the fight.

Torfinn - you hold on the bush about 50 feet higher on the hill than the target and about 25 feet into the wind (that day). And, in the interest of full disclosure, you need a couple of sighters.

1997 300yrd head shot doe w/ 7mm mag started my long range jurney-witnessed
2006 hunting season 505yrds 9 point white-tail 308 175bthp was a set up for the shot.
1025 yrd second rnd "cold bore" on plate steel at tiger valley from the tower-witnessed 308 175bthp.

Mule deer at 550 yards 260 Rem 130 Swift S2.

Black Bear at 600 yards 300 WSM 180 NP.

24"x30" steel plate @ 1700 yards with 50BMG (800gr. Lapua solid) 3rd shot. 338LM 300SMK 2nd shot. Baseball@625yards 1st. shot 338LM 250gr Scenar.