• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Your Favorite Every Day Holster

Spazz.

Nobody Nothing
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2008
Franklin County, KY
Hey, just trying to get an idea of what people are actually wearing holster-wise. I'm trying to figure out what I want, and I value opinions from people who have experience doing what I'd like to do. If you don't mind, pick your favorite holster (I'm primarily looking for concealment holsters, but if you want to share another favorite holster I'll surely listen), and if you feel so inclined, I'd appreciate knowing why you picked that one in particular. Thanks!

Re: Your Favorite Every Day Holster

My G29 has a belt clip accessory that replaces the plastic striker retaining plate with a steel one and 2 little screws hold the clip on. Works great to cut the bulk of an inside the belt setup by about 3/8"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ptd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 is pretty nice.

-pd </div></div>

Agreed. When I carry a 1911 it is in a VM2.

Raven Concealment: converts from OWB to IWB and can be ordered to fit pistol with lights. I usually use my issued duty gun (M&P40 w/TLR light) off duty as well.

In leather (for other guns) I've used Sparks Summer Specials and a Kramer IWB a lot.

milt sparks vm2 all the way,but your gonna wait for it(6mo +/- )or you pay three times his cost on ebay. if you want something way sooner the galco rearguard is a good copy of the sparks summer speacil. what gun is also a deciding factor. my edc is the vm2 w/1911 4"

"Doing what I like to do" is???

1. What firearm(s)?
2. Likelyhood of engagement?
3. What clothing...as in shorts and a tee or suit?
4. Need clips, cuffs, carry blade?

To be helpful, if one really lives with a concealed weapon day in and day out and is not assigned that weapon as part of their service, the big question is "what firearm" and the "where and how carried"

For 98% of carry for civilians result in never being drawn, of the 2% that are drawn, less than 10% (of that 2%) gets fired, of the less than 10%...the majority let loose one (1) round.

I dont use a holster for everyday carry. I carry my 642 in my pants pocket. But on rare occasions that I carry a holstered pistol, this is it. It was made for me by an old Alaska State Trooper when I retired from the Anchorage Police Dept.

45%20holster.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Doing what I like to do" is???

1. What firearm(s)?
2. Likelyhood of engagement?
3. What clothing...as in shorts and a tee or suit?
4. Need clips, cuffs, carry blade?

To be helpful, if one really lives with a concealed weapon day in and day out and is not assigned that weapon as part of their service, the big question is "what firearm" and the "where and how carried"

For 98% of carry for civilians result in never being drawn, of the 2% that are drawn, less than 10% (of that 2%) gets fired, of the less than 10%...the majority let loose one (1) round.

</div></div>

You're right, that would be helpful. Civilian carrying every day, looking for comfort and easy drawing. However, concealment is the number one factor. Clothing style is mostly jeans/Dickies with untucked t-shirts or polo shirts. I'm not as concerned about outside of the 8-4 time period, my dress style (shorts/t-shirts, more standing than sitting) would be more forgiving for concealed carrying.

Right now, I'm looking for a holster for a Smith & Wesson M&P compact. I work in an office setting, so I unfortunately do a lot of sitting. I'm not expecting to ever have to unholster the gun, but that doesn't mean that I don't want to have it with me. I don't need anything extra on the holster, just a good holster. Thumb breaks aren't necessary as long as it's a fitted holster. I carry a knife in a different pocket, so that's not an issue. Thanks for everyone's input so far!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Risk of engagement...high or low?</div></div>

LOW, I like in rural Wyoming. Low crime rate. People still dont lock their doors and keys are left in vehicles in town.

How ever, more then once (in fact its quite common in the summer (I've had to use my 642 to dispatch rattlers in my yard. Rattlers and grandkids dont play well together. And I dont really like to take the time to fetch a rifle.

Also came out of the shop one evening and spotted a fox trying to get my chickens. The 642 works if you dont have time to get the rifle.

Granted the 642 in the pocket isnt the best, but for me its the most practical. Its always there like my pocket knife, wallet, and keys. When I carried a heavier pistol w/belt holster, most of the time I found I left it in the truck or house.

Ok, that is equally helpful.

So, all we/I can offer you is a personal opinion...right? So, when I do please accept it in the manner that it is offered.

You are carrying a brick.

Leave it behind. Rethink your carry rig and scale it way, way, way back. You simply do not need a platform that large with that capacity for what you are doing. Take your caliber UP, take your rounds DOWN, scale the gun LIGHTER and SMALLER and you may not even need a holster at all.

If you think this observation has any merit in your world and need a selection of more appropriate pieces, please let me/us know. When you do, please help us know what you can afford. More $$$ is not necessarily needed, but a range helps in protecting your long term value.

I don't really want to trade off what I already own and I can't really afford to spend any money on guns right now. I will be looking in the under $900 range for my next handgun, so any opinion on what would be better than the M&P 40c for an every day carry would be welcome as well. I would just have to file them away for several months.

No problem. Since your sitting nearly the whole time and not wearing a coat you are going to have to try it all out. Something that rides high, to the side and most likely to the rear. Perhaps lateral SOB (small of back) designs, but that is chair dependant.

As to other choices, lets save that until you get this one resolved.

Fair enough RT51. I'm limited to one holster for at least a little while, so I'm looking for something that's all-purpose. Doesn't anyone make a holster that's completely concealed for all clothing designs in all seasons, has a minimal draw time, is extremely comfortable 24/7, protects the firearm and the user, and can be had for $9.99? Seriously though, thanks for everyone's suggestions and votes so far.

Not really, I've seen some interesting solutions to the most comfortable way to pack everyday in an informal setting. Once one moves away from a high risk of engagment environment, many opt for very small but powerful solutions that do not utilize more than 5 rounds. There are some remarkably clever products that have surfaced over the years. When one remember the 2% draw down, 10% of that firing, most 1 round, the type of firearm changes quite a bit. For most, the important thing is to always be carrying that one or two all important rounds and practice, practice, practice.

High risk? Whole different issue.

Lots of good choices on the poll. I have been carrying my guns in DeSantis Scorpion holsters almost nonstop for the last year or so. I started with a Glock 17 then switched to my 5" 1911 and now I am carrying my Sig P226. I put it on in the morning and take it off when I get home. I would say I am concealed carrying 10 plus hours a day 7 days a week. I own a gunshop and am working 7 days a week. When I carry in the store I uncover the holster and I still will have customers supprised when I show them the holster. If you have a chance I would highly recommend trying this holster. It looks like the most uncomfortable holster ever, yet if I can get someone to try the holster on they will buy it more than 8 times out of 10.

Just my .02

For civi CCW I really enjoy the Bladetech IWB for either a G19 or KAHR K9. They just seem to fit well for me. No pinch-points and draw nicely. However, I'm not typically in it for 8 or 10 hour days.