• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Your favorite target?

westford86

Minuteman
Aug 3, 2010
Anchorage, AK
I hate punching holes in paper, unless I'm zeroing or testing something out, it's just so boring. Other than steel I'm curious what's everyones favorite alternative targets?

Personally I like stuff that is very reactionary. Some of my favorites are, golf balls, soda cans filled with water, pumpkins, and most of all pumpkins filled with water (go around to local farms after halloween you'll have plenty of them, and there biodegradable, so no cleanup). Cars are fun too, but don't offer much of a challenge, and the cleanup sucks...

Re: Your favorite target?

Clays are great, I use them a lot with pistols.

Tannerite would be a lot of fun, I've never used it though. How loud is it? Is it louder than a rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: westford86</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clays are great, I use them a lot with pistols.

Tannerite would be a lot of fun, I've never used it though. How loud is it? Is it louder than a rifle?</div></div>
More boomie' than a rifle crack. Like a good firework.

Yeah, paper is boring. I find it very satisfying to see splashes on steel at 1k. Water jugs are always fun too.

I used to get the over-ripe produce at the local market for free, but now I'm using a range that only allows paper. Kinda sucks at times.

cattails explode thier puffy seeds everywhere, good fun.

i also like small rocks (baseball) , they explode, are free no cleanup, and misses are easy to spot in a pasture or hayfield

Paintballs on golf tees @100yds. Shoot the paintballs off the tees, then shoot the tees. It is tons of fun. Steel is fun if it is MOA sized. I have a manhole cover hung on a little island 1100 yards out that rings like a bell when you hit. .223 spent cases @100 yards is great for rimfire practice. Shaken sodas at 2-300 yards with the 22. I like the reactionary targets every once in awhile.

I'm thinking something that walks around the woods with horns on it works the best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rkgsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm thinking something that walks around the woods with horns on it works the best. </div></div>

yeah but they tend to frown upon multiple engagements on those here in new york.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Paintballs on golf tees @100yds. Shoot the paintballs off the tees, then shoot the tees. It is tons of fun. Steel is fun if it is MOA sized. I have a manhole cover hung on a little island 1100 yards out that rings like a bell when you hit. .223 spent cases @100 yards is great for rimfire practice. Shaken sodas at 2-300 yards with the 22. I like the reactionary targets every once in awhile. </div></div>

paintballs is a good idea!! do they obviously spray color when hit on grass, or do you need snow to make them show up at distance?

In the winter we freeze water in zip lock containers to make blocks of ice. We dye the water with food coloring. Big red, blue, green etc ice cubes to shoot. They break into pieces, and then we just set the pieces back up. lasts all day. Also explode on impact.

i prefer steel... im getting a 1/4in steel plate cut out in a human out line from waiste up. it will be exactly 3 feet tall so i can easily use it for ranging where ever i put it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armymedic.2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Paintballs on golf tees @100yds. Shoot the paintballs off the tees, then shoot the tees. It is tons of fun. Steel is fun if it is MOA sized. I have a manhole cover hung on a little island 1100 yards out that rings like a bell when you hit. .223 spent cases @100 yards is great for rimfire practice. Shaken sodas at 2-300 yards with the 22. I like the reactionary targets every once in awhile. </div></div>

paintballs is a good idea!! do they obviously spray color when hit on grass, or do you need snow to make them show up at distance?</div></div>

No, most if not all paintballs splat with a bright yellow or bright orange fill. SOME of the competitive paint actually has a bright pink fill that's impossible to miss. Its usually $15-25 per 500 "targets"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TXMedic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armymedic.2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Paintballs on golf tees @100yds. Shoot the paintballs off the tees, then shoot the tees. It is tons of fun. Steel is fun if it is MOA sized. I have a manhole cover hung on a little island 1100 yards out that rings like a bell when you hit. .223 spent cases @100 yards is great for rimfire practice. Shaken sodas at 2-300 yards with the 22. I like the reactionary targets every once in awhile. </div></div>

paintballs is a good idea!! do they obviously spray color when hit on grass, or do you need snow to make them show up at distance?</div></div>

No, most if not all paintballs splat with a bright yellow or bright orange fill. SOME of the competitive paint actually has a bright pink fill that's impossible to miss. Its usually $15-25 per 500 "targets" </div></div>

Cheaper than shooting clays...

I am on the shaken soda cans boat. But if I have no old soda laying around, I usually just fill up empty water bottles and blast them. Small chunks of concrete are also very fun with the big cartridges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armymedic.2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Paintballs on golf tees @100yds. Shoot the paintballs off the tees, then shoot the tees. It is tons of fun. Steel is fun if it is MOA sized. I have a manhole cover hung on a little island 1100 yards out that rings like a bell when you hit. .223 spent cases @100 yards is great for rimfire practice. Shaken sodas at 2-300 yards with the 22. I like the reactionary targets every once in awhile. </div></div>

paintballs is a good idea!! do they obviously spray color when hit on grass, or do you need snow to make them show up at distance? </div></div> They just dissapear. Splatter shows against the snow pretty good too. Wrecked the manhole cover with the 308, had to bolt on a 12"x12" piece of plow blade.

If you can get away with it at your range, try a half-sized can of red spray paint. You'll definitely know when you hit it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Live prairie dogs are by far my favorite </div></div>

+ 100000000000!!!!

steel, clays. if i shoot paper i get some fun or game targets off targetz.com the pool target is fun for you and a buddy with pistols at about 10 yards pool targetz game

we play just like pool you gotta call stripes or solids and call your shot. no slop a miss goes to next shooter, a hit you keep goin.

josh

I kill some flies, pin them up and then shoot the wings off at 2,500yrds with a .22.

I like paper the best. Shooting targets that give immediate feeback of a hit are interesting, but they don't tell you how off center your shot was or wasn't. Paper gives you precise feeback on how accurate you truly are.

shooting nats off a cows ass with out hitting the cow is awsome practice, kind of like a hostage situation..

Coyotes, Prarie Dogs, Rabbits, Crows

Steel is pretty satisfying. For fun, knocking over animal shapes is great, and for skill, a small hanging circle will flop around in the breeze when you hit it - everything at least 300 yards away!

Woodchucks, crows, prairie dogs, coyotes, house cats that are hundreds of yards from the nearest house or barn, paper, steel.

Eggs make great targets ... and steel as well if you have it.

But prairie dogs are by far the most fun :)

I like to take a piece of 2x10 and lightly tap in some 2in roofing nails. Then I shoot the heads of the nails and drive the nails in all the way. Its hard, but very fun.

old toilets / urinals, burned out light bulbs, turnips, pumpkins, coconuts, old computer monitors / TV's, snack packs, bologna / lunch meat in general, buckets filled with dyed water, cans of MAP gas, trolling motors

2 litre bottle of Tannerite with 5 gallons of gas next to it inside a fridge or a washer/ dryer. = just make sure you are atleast 200 yards from target and have something solid to get under for possible shrapnel falling from sky. Also don't do this when you have dry / no burn conditions.

Film it to share with others.... It's a hoot.
....SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2 litre bottle of Tannerite with 5 gallons of gas next to it inside a fridge or a washer/ dryer. = just make sure you are atleast 200 yards from target and have something solid to get under for possible shrapnel falling from sky. Also don't do this when you have dry / no burn conditions.

....SmokeRolls </div></div>

Video please...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: westford86</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm curious what's everyones favorite alternative targets?

Personally I like stuff that is very reactionary. </div></div>

Blue helmets. Fills your second requirement as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: westford86</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2 litre bottle of Tannerite with 5 gallons of gas next to it inside a fridge or a washer/ dryer. = just make sure you are atleast 200 yards from target and have something solid to get under for possible shrapnel falling from sky. Also don't do this when you have dry / no burn conditions.

....SmokeRolls </div></div>

Video please...</div></div>
This is not mine but I don't think I could film one any better than this. I do think you would get the idea and then create your own fun. Just make sure you do this in a safe area and well away from homes / people.
.....SmokeRolls
Here's two links that are fun to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiEUMTT5TxY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz2X7LNsv7E&feature=related

There are many youtube videos with tannerite used in them

The head of a full-size NRA/IHMSA silhouette turkey at 385m and out.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bama110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">clays, steel is fun, have 10" plate hung with fire hose very durable</div></div>
I like the fire hose idea.
Find some old discarded 2 1/2" from the firehouse and bolt it in about 4 places and it will probably outlast the plate.
Thanks for that.
....SmokeRolls

When I was younger I used to line up spent 22 cases on a log and try to shoot them off w/o hitting the log. Lots of fun and very challenging...

Now its mainly PD's...