• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Your go to 6.5cm elk bullet

What’s your favorite 6.5cm elk bullet?

• Total voters

LJT88

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 16, 2019
    Everyone gets 2 votes for their top 2 picks.

I ran out of possible poll options

I’d like to hear about the sierra options. 140 and 130 tipped gamekings and 140 matchking.

The Norma 143 bond strike looks promising.

How do the hunting Berger bullets kill compared to the target Berger bullets?

If I missed something let me know.

I would add the 140 Nosler Partition to the list despite its somewhat lack luster BC; at the ranges you should be shooting inside of at elk with a 6.5 the BC doesn’t matter anyway.

Personally, for me, elk bullets start at a 200 Partition in my 300 win mag; I’m not traveling west to chase elk with a 6.5. If I lived there maybe I would on a cow hunt, but not on a bull hunt.

Last edited:
    I have been a die hard Barnes guy for over a decade now. I dont have a a manbun but in .264 I have had awesome performance with the 127LRX in .260 and 6.5G on elk, and I would always steer someone that way. I switched to Barnes after I had two offside elk shoulders spattered with lead and ruined by SST's dissolving. That said when I built the new .260 CDG earlier this year I decided I was going to try the 140TGK and use it as an all around bang steel as well as hunt with it for elk, deer, pigs and speed goats. I had heard good enough things about the bullet being accurate and staying together so I bought 1000 of them and thought it would be nice to have a one load gun for once. I was going to put a thread up at the end of the season on the 140 TGK but since you asked, I'll just put the info I have here.

I got a consistent .6 MOA (off of bipod and bag) load out of the 140 TGK with H-4350, though it is a little slow (16" barrel @ 2650fps). The bullet has killed everything that has been shot with it this year. It's had some pretty good action because a buddy as well as the old lady hunted with the gun this year, which is probably going to cost me another CDG build for her. "This is so much nicer than my Savage" LOL, ya think? Anyway, I killed a buck pronghorn at 120 yds with a quartering frontal and the bullet exited in two places in front of the off side back ham, all I found was the tip and one piece of jacket back by rear flank. It is the first time I have seen dual exit wounds. She killed a doe pronghorn at 440 behind the shoulder, didn't find anything but liquid lungs. Then I killed a cow elk at 380 broadside and found three pieces of jacket in rib meat that weighted 8-12 grains each, no exit wound. I killed a decent 6 point bull at 20 yards and as expected, found nothing, broadside passthrough caught a rib on the way out. Then a buddy killed a small 4 point bull at 180 and I found the base .5" of the jacket splayed out still bonded to some of the core that weighed 70 grains which was up against the offside hide. I headshot a doe at 60 and had explosive results as one could imagine and didn't find any bullet, not that I really did much checking since it was a mess. I'll go back to Bama here in a couple weeks and hopefully see what these do on pigs and maybe another deer, though I'll mostly be trying to buck hunt with my bow.

All in all the bullet has killed well and is definitely accurate at banging steel. Ive shot it out to 800M several times and haven't had a problem banging sub 2 MOA steel shot after shot. I dont love that Im finding so many small pieces of jacket all over the place so I'll probably end up building a load for the CDG with the 127 LRX for next hunting season, especially for elk (though I should draw my bow tag next year). I didn't find any lead paste like with the SST but I was hoping Sierras Gamechanger technology and and "thicker jacket" were going to hold together a little better. The only thing I found resembling a mushroomed jacket/ core was the 70 grain piece, which had lost half its weight. What it does seem to do better than Barnes is dump all of it energy for the most part in the critters, I guess by falling apart. I have only recovered two barnes bullets ever, both of them were beautifully petaled out and weighed within 10-12 grains of the total weight by only losing a piece of petal or 2. One of them I found was on a bull elk frontal and the was in the hip, so what, almost 50 inches of penetration. The other was a big old bull at 400 and it clipped the edge of scapula, broke the humerus on the off side and was up against the hide. Both of those were .30 168 TTSX. All the other Barnes including every 127 LRX have made it into the ether and left two holes.

I like coppers or bonded when going down the caliber power spectrum. I tried 143s in my 6.5 with the intention of my wife to use them on elk, but I killed one with the WSM before she could. The 6.5 was used on a an elk, but they were non fatal follow up shots on recovery. I have used the eldx on whitetails, and they’ve gone all the way through on the two I killed. One high shoulder at 340 and a lung shot at 250.

I've only used factory hornady 143 eldx.
    I've taken 2 cow elk and my nephew used my rifle and took a cow elk.
    None of the shots were over 100 yds.

Inside of 250 yards ? Norma Oryx 156. Absolutely devastating.
    Past that, 147 ELD-M. Not a fan of the 143 in the creedmoor.

I’ve become a big fan of tipped match bullets. My rifles took two trophy bull elk this season, using a 7PRC w/ 180gr ELDM and a 6.5 Creedmoor w/ 147gr ELDM. Both had massive damage do both lungs and zero meat loss aside from the entry side rib the bullet went through on each animal. The one shot with the magnum trotted down the hillside he was on and died at the bottom. The one shot with the Creedmoor died where he stood. No tracking job on either and 100% meat recovery.

I wouldn’t use non-tipped match bullets. Tipped is the way to go. The tipped matchking has proven outstandingly productive, and the ELDM is its counterpart that is more available.

Bergers’ terminal performance varies too much for me to chance using them. Mono users seem happy to brag about how wonderful a tracking job the edit wound gives me - I’d rather not have any tracking job at all and no meat loss.

Attachments

• IMG_6399.jpeg
      IMG_6399.jpeg
      796.2 KB · Views: 37
    • IMG_6409.jpeg
      IMG_6409.jpeg
      1.3 MB · Views: 49
    • IMG_6419.jpeg
      IMG_6419.jpeg
      780.6 KB · Views: 43
    • IMG_9485.jpeg
      IMG_9485.jpeg
      666.7 KB · Views: 42
    I've killed a bunch of elk using just about everything, in 6.5 one of my favorites has to be the Cayuga Solid though.
    But when I'm not shooting those, its usually Barnes Match burner 140's, Hornady 140 BTHP, and PRVI 120 BTHP.

How did you find these for developing a load for?
    Super picky on seating?
    At their price, I dont wanna chase it incessantly.

Reactions: coldboremiracle
    How did you find these for developing a load for?
    Super picky on seating?
    At their price, I dont wanna chase it incessantly.
    Extremely easy, the opposite of picky. I literally stuck them in the case with the powder charge and OAL Josh suggested, and they were like .4 first group I shot.
    img_3987.jpg

This is the very first group I shot with the 6mm Cayugas, five shots. Zero load workup.

Reactions: powdahound76
    Reactions: coldboremiracle
    The best option was omitted from the list.

I’ll take a hammer hunter, in two different weights since we have to pick 2.

Reactions: Modoc
    I’ve used 130 ELD-M on deer, coyotes, and an aoudad that last 2 years. If I draw an elk tag I don’t plan on changing bullets.

Killed a bunch with the 129 Accubond LR and it works great on elk. As long as you put it where its supposed to go, they're dead.

Reactions: KYAggie
    +1 for the 156 Oryx, and for further out I'm having a great run with the Bondstrike out of my SAUM.
    Fortunately the Oryx shoots close enough to the Bondstrike zero I just have the first two rounds up Oryx, and change mags if it's a long shot for the Bondstrike.