• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your input please!

FlashGordon

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2011
TX, U.S.A.
Ok, here is my dilemma. I am new to the game and am building my first (ever) rifle. I've gone with the parts listed below and would like some input on finished barrel length including the brake. I decided on .308 win for versatility and availability of both match and hunting ammunition. I intend to use the rifle for hunting white tail deer and hogs here in TX, as well as 100/200/600 and eventually 1000 yard target shooting. Since I couldn't decide how long of a barrel I wanted, I ordered a 31" blank.

So, what say you Sniper's Hide readers?

Defiance Machine action w/ Guardian mag inlet
Rock creek 31" 5r 1:10 "1000 yard" contour barrel
Jewell trigger
APA Fat bastard brake
AICS 1.5

/flame suit ON
smile.gif

Re: Your input please!

Go with 18 or 20" and not look back. Lowlight has posted about his 18" Gladious(?) shooting very well to 1000. A bud of mine has a GAP Rock with a 20" that shoots lights-out. Lots of threads here on shorter .308s. Sounds like you will have a fine rifle when all said and done.

nothing really wrong with that. 31" is a little long. some people are going to jump on the "so and so hits 1000yd steel with 18" barrels", but just stay the course. I like the plain ol' 22" and 24" barrels for .308.

You have a great set of parts there to work with. If I were going to look at shooting long range and hunt with it too I would look to make the barrel 20-22". You can get to the distance you want and it is also handy in the field to carry. I had pretty much nothing but 24" barrels but have now changed to 20" as it does lighten it some and also makes it easier to carry. Also, if you are going to run a suppressor think how long it will be suppressed.

Ok here is my 2 cents ... I went with a 24 inch at first and I cut it down to 20inch to accomodate a suppressor. the longer the barrel the more velocity that your round will carry however there is a trade off with stiffness of the barrel and the issue with flex. IMHO I think that 20 inch is optimal and 24 would be the longest I would go with. Eitherway you will be fine. Going longer than 24 I would not recomend as it is just too hard to manuver. Good luck and enjoy the process.

Cheers... !!!

I had a 30inch tube on my 300 and it was very unwieldy, since you mention 1000 yard target shooting I think my preference would be 22-24inches. If it was a rig that would be used for hunting and mostly under 800yards with the occasional 1000 yard shooting I would probably run an 18 or 20 inch barrel.

I get more velocity from my 24 inch rock than I do out of a 26 inch remigton barrel, a good barrel can allow you to run it a little shorter.

Just my two cents, YMMV!!!!

20 is enough but I would go 22. You can always have a little cut off, but adding on is a problem.

I prefer 24"or shorter on a 308 and would not even consider putting a brake on anything less than a 338lm.

AICS is heavy to drag around as hunting rifle. Some (I included) do not like the feeling of AICS stock on the cheek - when in sitting position you have to bend you neck a lot to see through glass. In prone position there was no problem for me. AICS is intended for filed use so mostly prone. Bottom line - try one before you buy it

I got a good deal on a used AICS 2.0 but did not like it. Had no problem trading it off towards a TRG-22 and recovered my cost

nothing wrong with a break. some days you cannot be in a perfect position while firing(check out pics of the SHC) and you will need every bit of help you can get spotting your shots. Everyone misses shots, but if you cant tell WHERE you missed. . . you will probably miss the next one too.

Wow, alot of different opinions on this one, heres mine, I would go 20" to 22" with it, and I also would probably leave the break off

A 24" should be all you would need for up to 1000 yard and is a good balance.

I also prefer a brake on my rifles. They tend to see a lot of field use so I like the brake mostly too protect the crown. The recoil reduction is a nice bonus. My rifles wear a Badger fte which can be indexed easily. There are more efficient brakes for the 308 like the badger thruster or the sac brake but I like the fte for convenience.

* as far as indexing on a standard screw on brake I did learn cool trick:when your brake starts to get out of index from removing it a few times you can paint one of the mating surfaces with aluminumhide from brownells and this will get it back to indexing properly.

24" IMHO unless your a tired old man. I have several 26" heavy barreled rifles I don't mind humping any of them around including a 14lb tube rifle.

One thing I did not mention ... do not go shorter than 18 inches ... again IMHO

Well since the majority are saying between 18"-24" I say just shoot for the center and go 21". My .02

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. It appears that the majority favors < 22". How would you feel shooting the 208 a-max out of a barrel this short? Wouldn't a barrel at say, 27.5" before the brake, have an edge over a 20" at distances in excess of 500 yards?