• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Your Next Hunting Scope - Midas HMR

mrobles3808

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2013
Nebraska
Athlon Optics - Midas HMR
By Mark Robles - Nebraska

The past few years have been exciting for the shooting industry for multiple reasons. From high BC bullets, to companies manufacturing high quality and affordable optics. One thing is for sure, customers are chasing perfection and companies within the industry are eager to release the next best product to satisfy the shooting industry. Much of this influence has come with the gaining popularity in precision shooting. As competitors chase the potential of their platforms, the reality to chase the limits is more viable than ever. This influence has gained the attention of not just competitors, but to the hunting community as well.

In my younger years and growing up in the great plains of the Midwest, chasing whitetail, antelope, and coyotes served to be the most entertaining pastime during the October and November seasons. Some of my best memories were developed sitting in a tree stand on the river, or walking draws in the Sandhills. One thing in common, regardless of the terrain hunted, were my limitations to engage in an ethical shot on game. Most of these limitations were due to equipment, most specifically optics.

At that time, information about optics was sparse. Most people had a choice to either wait for their dial up internet or take a road trip to the nearest outfitter in hopes to learn something “new” from the customer service representative from across the counter. Choices of hunting designated optics were slim, as most of us were limited to select offerings from the popular brands such as, Leupold and Bushnell. Not to mention, if you wanted to buy something with decent glass and reliability, you’d better be confident in spending a premium. Let’s just agree that most of us settled with the one hundred-dollar Simmons in hopes the “Big One” stepped out during a time where your optic could resolve an image.

Fast forward a couple of decades and our world of optics has taken a drastic change. Not just in quality, but affordability. As companies chase the business of precision rifle competitors, some have also found themselves offering quality optics directed toward the hunting population as well. One of the newer, upcoming names in the industry that needs to be considered is Athlon Optics. Located in the Heartland, Athlon Optics prides itself in providing the highest quality of optics at a price where most consumers never thought they could afford. The need to fill this niche was critical and Athlon stepped up to the task. Although the manufacturing of Athlon Optics takes place overseas, their quality control is second to none as they receive inspection not only at the location of construction, but also at their headquarters located in Olathe, Kansas.

I Introduce To You, The Midas HMR

One of the latest optics Athlon has unveiled is directed to the hunter looking for the highest quality at a price point that can appeal to those who hunt a few days out of the season, or who are fortunate enough to spend weeks or months chasing game. With a MSRP of 587.99 the Midas HMR leaves nothing to be desired.

The specific model I reviewed was the Midas HMR 2.5-15x50 with a second focal plane BDC 600A MOA reticle.

UpdatedRet.png

The sub tensions of this reticle are not designed to work with every cartridge combo, but most cartridges using bullets designed for hunting will work very well. I had my Midas mounted to a Savage 10 chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor and while using the 123gn. SST, the reticle subtensions worked to achieve one to two MOA impacts (on steel silhouettes) out to six hundred yards. Although many of us will never need to confirm a shot on game at that distance, I was pleasantly confident that I could ethically take medium and large sized game to that range if needed.

Glass and Reliability - The Midas Competes Well Out Of Its League

As a competitor in precision rifle shooting, the two most critical factors in choosing a scope is optical clarity and reliable, return to zero tracking. This was an area I focused most of my time, taking multiple trips to the range in various weather and light conditions. Athlon markets the Midas HMR as having fully multicoated HD optics and they do not disappoint. The first days out with the Midas, I made sure not to have any other optics to compare. I wanted a clear, unbiased perception where I could focus my attention on this one particular scope. During my first evening out, I found myself mounting the Midas to a tripod and looking across a lake with the sun setting directly behind me. My first initial impression was more than what I had expected. The Midas is so easy to get behind. Before I could place my dominant eye in what I would consider the perfect position, I had an immediate bright, full picture. Although the variable power was set at its lowest, 2.5x this remained constant to its extreme, 15x variable power. This initial impression set the tone for the entirety of my review. I looked at multiple objects ranging from fifteen yards all the way past seven hundred. The optical quality of this specific scope blew me away as I was able to make out crisp, define edges on branches, rocks, and waterfowl sitting on the lake two hundred yards away. The wow factor showed itself again as I was able to clearly define an old rusted aluminum can laying in the shadows of a rock dam located over three hundred yards away. Another part to optical clarity I would like to point out is the incredible depth of field. Focusing on an object over three hundred yards away still provided clarity of objects only twenty yards away within the scope field of view. This characteristic is commonly found in optical designs that cost significantly more than the Midas HMR. During the same evening, as the sun was barely to close behind the cottonwoods, I wanted to see how the optics handled glare. I focused on an image pointing directly toward the sun and the Midas handled this beautifully.

During one of the final days of my review, I was fortunate to have time spent on the range with unfavorable weather conditions (good for hunting). It was cold, wet, overcast, and there was enough fog in the air to make a vehicle’s automatic headlights turn on. I considered this a perfect opportunity to mount the optic on one of my hunting rifles and compare the Midas to two other optics - A Steiner T5xi (roughly 1700.00USD) and a Burris XTR2 (roughly 1100.00USD). My goal was to see just how much the Midas gave up in terms of optical resolution as compared to a couple optics that cost two or three times more. To be short, let’s just say I was upset, pleasantly, with how well the Midas’s optical clarity performed against the others. Although different scopes for different purposes, there wasn’t enough of a difference for me to speak of. Both of the more expensive scopes resolved orange target pasties very well out to 330 yds, and so did the Midas. The noticeable difference was the Midas’s ability to resolve the black center diamond on the pasties posted at 100yds, whereas my Steiner and Burris would create a fringing effect, making the center diamond look larger than it actually was. In a nutshell, the HD glass in the Midas will leave you very impressed.

Image1.PNG

Image2.png

In addition to my positive impression of optical quality, the Midas hits a homerun in the tracking department. My Savage Model 10, 6.5 Creedmoor shoots very well and well enough that I could confidently conclude a box test to check the scopes ability to return to zero. The Midas was boringly accurate as each MOA adjustment put groups exactly where they were intended. My hypothesis going into the tracking test was accurate in that it would perform flawlessly and this was based off of how well the elevation and windage turrets feel. The construction of the turrets allows the user to NOT have to use a coin, or a screwdriver, but they are tall enough so you can use your fingers -- even with gloves on. The clicks are very positive and tactile leaving no doubts your adjustments have been made. There was absolutely zero “mush” or “play” in the clicks and the adjustment markings lined up perfectly with the zero indicator on the scope tube. I wasn’t lying about Athlon’s quality control -- this is just one more confirmation.

Image3.png

Image4.png

Conclusion

The Midas HMR needs to be on your short list of scopes to mount on your current or next hunting rifle. The optical clarity, reliable tracking, and innovated but yet simple reticle, make this an all-around optic to be used in the tree stand, or wide-open country where the next shot is going to test your marksmanship. I think anybody looking for a high-quality hunting scope, but not want to pay the premium for an optic costing twice the price, would be extremely pleased with the performance of the Midas HMR.

It's nice to be in agreement. I too think Athlon is doing a great job of paying attention to what the folks here on this, as well as other forums, have been posting about and looking for. They have reacted in kind with affordable, quality products.

I too felt this was a great scope at a very reasonable price and posted Athlon Midas HMR 2.5-15x50 Riflescope - The Hunting Scope You've Been Waiting For.

Great minds :)

Last edited:
OP- Are you in any way affiliated with or sponsored by Athlon? Just curious.

I understand that there is a mistrust against those associated with certain brands, I have some of that myself towards fan boyz with certain brands, not just concerning optics. I've tried to be honest, and it should show in my posts, after all I've publicly complained about some Athlon features, etc, that I don't like. On the other hand "NO" scope is perfect.

But you'd just have to get behind one of these ETR's, Midas TAC's and this HMR to grasp the quality that was built into them for the money. If you have experience with the Talos BTR and the Argos BTR, well the TAC's and the HMR are 2-3 levels up in quality if compared!!!

Reactions: mrobles3808
The range picture looks like ENGC. I like the look of that HMR. I bought a Midas TAC earlier this year to try. It was my first Athlon scope. I really like that scope and it is now on my hunting rig. I don't think the HMR was out yet when I bought the Tac, or I just didn't notice it. Pretty impressed. Especially for the price point.

The range picture looks like ENGC. I like the look of that HMR. I bought a Midas TAC earlier this year to try. It was my first Athlon scope. I really like that scope and it is now on my hunting rig. I don't think the HMR was out yet when I bought the Tac, or I just didn't notice it. Pretty impressed. Especially for the price point.
The HMR has only been available a little over a month or so. Great scope and for the price very difficult to find a better option

Yesterday I received my Athlon Midas BTR 4.5-27x50. https://athlonoptics.com/product/rifle-scopes-midas-btr-4-5-27x50-ahmr-sfp-ir-moa/

Got mine from Doug at Camera Land as he had the best price as usual. I haven't had a chance to mount it but so far everything is gtg with the scope. My intended use is to use this as a test scope for various rifles, especially ones I have set up for iron sight only shooting.

Mark, glad you are happy with the clarity.

I got to shoot with my Athlon Midas DMR this evening. Sad to say I am disappointed in a few things with the scope. Keep in mind, all I have done is mount it to one 22 LR rifle and sighted in at 55 yards and shot a few afterwards. Maybe shot 50 rounds. Windage and elevation knobs have developed play/movement; just like creep in a bad trigger. It doesn't track well at all, The clarity and resolution is not where I would expect a scope in this price range to be. On 27X the eye box is not great. Good news is the eyepiece adjustment works good, the reticle is great and the illumination works good. The parallax works good. It will work ok for what I got it for and that is to use as a accuracy test scope to be moved from rifle to rifle as needed. The big regret and problem is I probably could have found a much cheaper scope to do the same thing. I am posting this because the OP posted about a Midas and even though his is an HMR I would suspect everything is the same except the adjustment knobs. Maybe mine is an exception to the norm.

I got to shoot with my Athlon Midas DMR this evening. Sad to say I am disappointed in a few things with the scope. Keep in mind, all I have done is mount it to one 22 LR rifle and sighted in at 55 yards and shot a few afterwards. Maybe shot 50 rounds. Windage and elevation knobs have developed play/movement; just like creep in a bad trigger. It doesn't track well at all, The clarity and resolution is not where I would expect a scope in this price range to be. On 27X the eye box is not great. Good news is the eyepiece adjustment works good, the reticle is great and the illumination works good. The parallax works good. It will work ok for what I got it for and that is to use as a accuracy test scope to be moved from rifle to rifle as needed. The big regret and problem is I probably could have found a much cheaper scope to do the same thing. I am posting this because the OP posted about a Midas and even though his is an HMR I would suspect everything is the same except the adjustment knobs. Maybe mine is an exception to the norm.

Kissofdeath, Athlon has never made a "DMR" I suspect it orginally said "BTR" and autocorrect wasn't having it? (Just guessing since you were original talking about the Midas BTR in earlier posts. The Midas BTR has been discontinued. The old version Midas BTR is nothing like the new Midas TAC and Midas HMR. I've sent you a PM, lets see what is going, I want to make sure we get you taken care of. Have you checked the set screws that retain the turret caps? That's the only way I have ever seen a turret develop play.

Last edited:
Reactions: gr8fuldoug
Hey ThunderRun, you are correct it is the BTR model. I will check the set screws in the turret caps and report back. Thanks for your concern and willingness to communicate.

Just wanted to report that after a few days of testing accuracy for two rifles that will be shot using iron sights the Athlon Midas BTR is doing some unacceptable things. I called Athlon Optics today and spoke with Dustin. Dustin was very professional yet would still carry on a conversation without the feeling he was trying to rush you off the phone. He said he would take a look at the scope and any issues would be corrected. Said Athon would have my scope for 4-5 days before getting back in the mail to me. To me, this is first rate service and WILL go a long way when I am in the market again for another scope.

Thanks Dustin and Athlon Optics for taking care of me.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug