• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your Ohaus Dial-O-Grain Experiences

nwsnowbum

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2008
Spokane, WA
I've been looking at picking up a Dial-O-Grain for awhile now since I have always heard really great things about them. I finally was able to win an 1110 grain model for a decent price on eBay.

The scale hasn't arrived yet, so I haven't gotten a chance to test it yet. I called Scott Parker to see about sending it to him to tune. He says he won't tune them. His experience with them has shown that they are not very repeatable and they are not well suited for weighing the smaller weights we use in reloading.

I'm curious if others here have had the same experiences with them?

Right now he is recommending and selling tuned Redding #2s for $165.

And no, I don't need anyone to do me any favors by taking it off my hands for me...

Re: Your Ohaus Dial-O-Grain Experiences

These are popular in school classrooms because they are easy to understand. It's a lot like one of those cars that the manufacturer just put a few fancy stick on emblems on it and called it a sport model.

I'll stick with my 5-0-5 that I've carefully tuned and calibrated myself.

go with one of scott parkers redding's i have one from him a mid 1950's and i love it

Your scale should work fine if it's in good shape.

When I started loading, I bought he RCBS 304, almost like yours, it was the cadillac of scales back then, I still kick myself in the ass for selling it.
Best thing to do is buy a set of check weights, and use them. Cabela's has a set for $ 50.00 or so.

If you have to pull powder out of the pan becuase of overcharge, get a wide blade tweaser, gently pick it out, don't bang the piss out of it by jamming your fingers in it.

I don't understand the calibration thing, the scale still weighs stuff, with weights you'll know how far it is off, and repeatability of charge is the key.
It really doesn't matter what the absolute weight of your charge is, it just has to be the same each time.