• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your one and only gun

Mewsox

Private
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2011
Hey guys, long time lurker here, my brother actually introduced me to the hide. I come here in hopes of settling a running debate about my one and only AR. I'm a simple guy going back to school and not making a whole lot of money so my firearms collection is very small at the moment and will be for some time.

The question I present you with today, can an SPR function as your general purpose gun? Below is my LMT MRP 18" SS with an SSA trigger, ACS stock, T1 in offset mount, GS VFG, LDI flashlight, harris bipod and M4-2000 suppressor. (I have the handstop on there because with the VFG it gives me an exact reference point every time for consistency, just a personal thing of mine.) The glass is an optioned out NXS F-1. He says this thing is too heavy to be practical for anything but precision work, and he also contends that I should have just bought an MWS or SR-25 for 600+.

I present to you my case: If I were a smaller guy or clearing rooms then I would say that yes, it would be rather unwieldy; however I do not anticipate breaching my neighbor's apartment door anytime soon and even if I did in fact need to run and gun, I'm a big enough guy that I'm very confident that I could make fast and precise offhand shots with the T1. I also have a 16" SS barrel for this and an RCO that I could always throw on here if I really needed to save weight for some reason (the beauty of the MRP!) As far as 600-800, yes 308 is much better in the wind I'm not going to try and argue that. What it comes down to for me is how much I can afford to shoot, and can 556 do the job? I can make easy hits with this setup at 1K on 12x12 squares on days WITHOUT wind. With wind, yes it becomes difficult however 800 and in I've never really had much of a problem. Inside of 800 I've actually often grouped <span style="font-style: italic">markedly better</span> with 77g OTM than with any factory 308 load I've tried. (I have yet to try southwest ammo, I think that's the name?) I submit myself to the mercy of the people, your comments are appreciated!

(PS, all I own are this gun, my M40 clone and my Nighthawk Predator. I'd like to buy an FN scar and SBR it sometime in the future but that will probably be several years down the road, I may pick up an MRP CQB 10.5" first)
(PSS, I also own a PVS-15, and ATILLA, he says I should sell those and buy an SR-25 and a PVS-14 instead, I know this is a totally separate issue but your thoughts? I was trained of 15's so that is what I'm most comfortable with so I'm not sure I would pursue that option.)

[img:center] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]
(I locked the bolt back because I have a FZ BCG and didn't want you guys to think I'm a tool ;P)

Re: Your one and only gun

I think what you are talking about is what I refer to as a broad spectrum rifle. Something I just made up as a classification since I dont thing one exists. Anyway I say your friend is pretty much on the mark. The point of the "BSR" in my mind is to be able to handle whatever presents its self so what you think you may never need to do is irrelevant to something you want to put in this classification. My pursuit was the well balenced do many things good but probably nothing great rifle.

"if I did in fact need to run and gun, I'm a big enough guy that I'm very confident that I could make fast and precise offhand shots with the T1"

I would say that you cant speculate about this, you need to actually go try and do it. Im 6'2" 245 and I can tell you that I strugled with things like shooting on lateral movement. The weight of the MWS and having it be front heavy caused me issues with bob and weave with a 16" barrel. But I WAS able to do it, do it quickly and didnt have any misses BUT IT WAS FREAKING HARD and if the coarse of fire was any longer it would have been an issue. As it sits I say no way. If you switched to 16 and slapped on a T1 I would say its doable but then is not really a BSR. In that sense you have more of a "BSR kit" I wish there was an MWS version that was not switchbarrel. I love the monolithic rail but I dont care for the nose heaviness and extra weight the switchbarrel brings.

My "BSR" Consists of a KAC EMC with an Elcan Specter DR. And I have "kit" to make it an SPR if need be as the accuracy is definitly there. But if I had to run out the soor with one as configured, my EMC would be it.

No. That setup looks way too heavy to carry around. After a while you will get fatigued and wish that it was a few pounds lighter.

If I only had one rifle, my "general purpose" gun would be a lightweight 16" middy with a 1-4x optic. But since my lower is registered for an SBR, my 12.5" does everything I need it to do with good ammo.

Love my MWS to pieces. LMT and NF are great choices
smile.gif

Weight problem solved.

http://www.triadtactical.com/TAB-Gear-Biathalon-Sling.html

I can't say enough good things about this sling. A fully loaded MWS feels like a feather when you have it on your back with this. You can get to your gun plenty fast and it doesn't feel like you are walking around with a cinder block in your hands.

First off, I gotta say you have a damn good looking rifle. Very sexy in my opinion. Well that is other then your pistol grip. Just my preference but I'm not fond of the Ergos.

Anyays, I'll tell you this much. If I could only have one and only one rifle for what ever purpose, I would pick my Mega MA-Ten Mono. It has an 18" Rainier Select, SSA, MIAD, XTMs, UBR, AFG, Harris Bipod, Ops Inc brake, MBUS front and Rear. As far as optics I have a Warne RAMP mount with a Leupy Mark 2 3-9x40 MD and a Primary Arms Micro on the 45 offset.

Mine is set up somewhat similiar to yours other then obvious caliber choice. With a 20 round mag (and using a cheapy fish scale) my rifle comes in at about 15 lbs. It's a hefty pig, but balances. I'm guessing that yours isn't too far behind in weight, probably what 12-13?

Now to your question as can that fill the role of your do everything rifle. Well honestly only you can answer that. Do you think you can clear rooms with it? You have your Micro set up for that, so obviously you had some forsight that told you to do so, or you may have just thought it was cool. I have looked at a 45 offset for some time now for mine as up hunting in Medicine Bow WY there is alot of thick timber so I wanted something I could make a quick shot with.

Sure you can swap bbls and throw different glass on but you're set up for close to far range with what you have. I can make double taps on steel at 100 yards easily with my Micro. Just practice practice practice. It will come a little more naturally canting your rifle the more you do it. Plus having your NF gives you an advantage to engage targets at different ranges.

My 308 limits my amount of shooting that I can do due to costs of ammo and how much I can carry. It does give me the ability to drop a target much easier then with a 223/556. But a well placed shot can do the job regardles of caliber.

Having something lightweight allows more mobility but at costs. Having a micro RD as primary glass limits your range somewhat, but gives you mobility. Magnified glass gives your better accuracy with less mobility. You have both, learn to use both and just call it a day.

Here's mine,

Resampled_2011-10-16_20-10-39_939.jpg

My issue with the 1-4 is that I would like more magnification for 400+ yard shots. Yes it is possible to hit with them at that distance and further, but not with the precision I would like. I agree that in the long term the weight would be difficult which is why I have the 16" barrel and acog which I would also run with the offset T1, but for unforeseen short term needs I think I would be fine. (5'11" and 215, 12% BF)

ETA: That biathalon sling looks interesting, going to do some homework on it now!

First off, welcome. This is a great forum and I'm sure you'll enjoy it here.

For your rifle, well it sounds like it works well for you so why not? You have a couple things I'm not particularly a fan of, I leave the BUIS and flashlight off of something that isn't for potential two way ranges, but that's a personal choice of mine to save on weight and room. I also don't like a VFG for a rifle that will be shot offhand at a canted angle (your T-1's position). You have a nice overall rig and I like it with the exception of what I mentioned above.

If your purposes for the rifle include close range shooting, just make sure you practice with it. It doesn't take much to get accustomed to it provided you already have a strong base in it. If that VFG works for you shooting like that, then rock on, but I wouldn't recommend it. Took a look at what Shane45 said while I was typing my response, and I fully agree.

Over all I think an AR-15 with good glass is an excellent all around choice. I love my MK-12, by far the rifle I shoot the most lately, and I'm not concerned with how much energy my rounds impact a paper or steel target with. Nothing is a do-all rifle without compromises, but it's pretty dang close for my purposes. Other folks purposes and needs may vary.

I still think you should sell off all that junk, keep the scope and buy an EMC to put it on :-D

For a general purpose gun I would prefer a 308. I don't believe one gun can do it all. I'd rather carry a 308 slung on my back or in a eberlestock pack and then a lightweight 556 carbine slung across the front. One huge upside to 308 is you can hunt big game with it in all 50 states. VA doesn't allow you to use anything smaller than .23 so .24 cal rounds is the smallest you can use.

Assuming your NF1986's brother and your local I have two MWS's for sale that I'll make you an even better deal on for a FTF deal if your interested. They are excellent shooting rifles, I just like the bolt platform better.

BTW you have excellent taste in rifles and optics.

You sir, are the definition of quality over quantity. Since you have a 16" bbl. and a RCO you can swap out it seems like you have most of the bases covered. Like other posters have said, go train with the rifle in various configurations and see what works best for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a general purpose gun I would prefer a 308. I don't believe one gun can do it all. I'd rather carry a 308 slung on my back or in a eberlestock pack and then a lightweight 556 carbine slung across the front. One huge upside to 308 is you can hunt big game with it in all 50 states. VA doesn't allow you to use anything smaller than .23 so .24 cal rounds is the smallest you can use.

Assuming your NF1986's brother and your local I have two MWS's for sale that I'll make you an even better deal on for a FTF deal if your interested. They are excellent shooting rifles, I just like the bolt platform better.

BTW you have excellent taste in rifles and optics. </div></div>

Yes we are brothers
laugh.gif
PM sent about the MWS

Keep the LMT, don't let the SCAR's Sirens song lead you down the road to more money, more money, etc.
Practice often, you may reach a point where your skills progress beyond the equipment you have now.
If you just have to buy a new rifle, EMC over Scar. Just bring a little over $4500 for the EMC. There's a little surprise waiting for you: Your LMT shoots as well as an EMC. Both shoot under an inch @ 100. Like Ron White says "I've seen me do it".

It's your money. Good luck.

For the purpose of this thread, .223 really only makes sense to me in select fire, or if you are working in a squad. So for most of the civilians living in the western industrial word, .308 will have to be the way to go.

Fantastic rifle you have there. But general purpose it is not.

Look at the military. The M4 is meant for general purpose. They might put an Aimpoint or ACOG on it. The SPR on the other hand is specifically meant to bring longer range precision shots to a squad. What you have is great for what it is meant to do, but by design it is not a good general purpose rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mewsox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The question I present you with today, can an SPR function as your general purpose gun?</div></div>

You can move a couch with a Honda Civic. Doesn't make it a good idea.

Your idea of what works and what doesn't changes greatly when you spend days with a rifle attached to your body.

My 1 and only, if I had to choose, my custom 16" Mk 12'ish rifle with AAC SPR/M4 can and Leupy Mk 8 CQBSS

I like your philosophy of quality over quantity! Buy once and shoot the crap out of it. I have a very similar setup: LMT MRP, 18" SS barrel (16" CL in closet), SS 3-9 with mil-quad reticle, Nightforce mount, Gieselle Match trigger, Harris bipod. I find this rifle very handy. It shoots the heck out of the 77gr SMKs with 24.0 of RL15 in LC brass. If I want to lighten it I can throw my TA-33 horseshoe ACOG on it in about 30 seconds. I have shot the ACOG out to 650 yards but also prefer the precision of the 3-9 for target shooting. If war broke out tomorrow I would throw the ACOG on for sure, reasonably accurate and fast.

People that complain about this setup being too heavy need to shoot more guns! My Benelli Supernova with an Eotech, that I hike all over the mountains with turkey hunting, weighs more and is nothing with a good sling! I would also like an LMT MWS and am considering that purchase but not at the expense of my MRP. Cheap and no recoil for plenty o' practice.

If you are mainly shooting at 600+ get a bolt gun chambered in one of the 6.5 flavors. It would complement your .223 AR well and whip up on the .308 in the wind. If i had to hunt with my one rifle, then I might get an MWS if I had to have a semiauto. But if I could only have one gun I would probably get a bolt gun. I just find it much easier to shoot well consistently.

BTW, nice looking MRP!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mewsox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The question I present you with today, can an SPR function as your general purpose gun?</div></div>

You can move a couch with a Honda Civic. Doesn't make it a good idea.

Your idea of what works and what doesn't changes greatly when you spend days with a rifle attached to your body. </div></div>

+1, I think he should keep the LMT, buy another lower for his 16" upper, and buy an SR-25 and call it a day
laugh.gif

If I could have only one AR it would be a Noveske Rogue Hunter 5.56 (with the Recon weight barrel) with a S&B Short Dot 1-4. If I could only have one rifle it would be the same as the above but in 6.8.

Call me crazy but carrying my 16lb AIAw and my 7lb SR15 for a total of 23lbs and two different mags and ammo is better than 1 10lb rifle that covers the better part of the other two? Im not seeing it. Id rather carry a USO 1.8X10 in a USO QD mount at less than 2lbs instead. In 30 seconds I could be ready for precision work. On the topic of which 308 fills this role best, having had the SCAR17 and the MWS I can say they were both great at oppsite ends of the small spectrum, the EMC was right in the middle and so far I like it the best. Its very close in weight to the SCAR and mine is more accurate than either of the other two that I owned. I never had any malf's with all 3 with quality ammo. (My emc does not like underpowered 80's surplus.)

If you think of what you've got as a kit, then it's a it's a pretty nice set of options. You could easily take off the scope, bipod, and suppresor, mount the red dot, and have yourself a good "run and gun" weapon. Ditch the forward grip, flashlight, and red dot, and you've got a lighter SASS. Anything you want to do within the capabilities of 5.56 you can do with the tools you've got. If you really want to push the modularity, you could get a shorter upper to use for an SBR; but if you're not kicking in doors or spending a lot of time in a humvee, I don't see the point.

Really, with the M40 and the Nighthawk, you've got a well rounded arsenal.

For the night vision, I haven't used a PVS-15, but I have used the AN/PVS-7 and the AN/PVS-14, and I like the PVS-14. I'm assuming the field of view is pretty good with the PVS-15 and it's probably better for a task like driving, but I like being able to use my natural sight and the monocular at the same time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call me crazy but carrying my 16lb AIAw and my 7lb SR15 for a total of 23lbs and two different mags and ammo is better than 1 10lb rifle that covers the better part of the other two? Im not seeing it. Id rather carry a USO 1.8X10 in a USO QD mount at less than 2lbs instead. In 30 seconds I could be ready for precision work. On the topic of which 308 fills this role best, having had the SCAR17 and the MWS I can say they were both great at oppsite ends of the small spectrum, the EMC was right in the middle and so far I like it the best. Its very close in weight to the SCAR and mine is more accurate than either of the other two that I owned. I never had any malf's with all 3 with quality ammo. (My emc does not like underpowered 80's surplus.) </div></div>

I had the 17 and while I loved its balance and ability to eat any sort of ammo I could find, it did not group the way I wanted. How does your EMC group? If Mew doesn't pick one up I'm probably going have to!

I've been torn between buying the EMC or getting an MWS and lightening it up. Seems like the barrel extension on the MWS is where a huge chunk of the weight is located.

I think you are spending too much time buying gun accessories and not enough time doing. What accessories do you not own, or have mounted?

Why does that matter? Because regardless of your height, weight, bf%...your rifle is way too heavy. I know that without knowing exactly how much it weighs. I can see all those accessories and have stopped using most of them because of their added weight when mounted. You're running all of them at once. You have a foregrip and a handstop and a bipod all at the same time...come on. Just because they make it, doesn't mean you need to buy it...

Sure, you could put your watch, phone, wallet, and car keys on it too. And you could carry it fine. And you're in such ninja good shape it wouldn't affect your ability to be awesome with it. But there isn't a person on this board who wouldn't tell you the rifle would be more effective, and you no less, with those items in your pockets. If you need all those doodads, put them in a BOB and use the QD mounts to swap as needed. All that crap on one gun at one time is dumb. Going to the GYM all day every day will not change the fact that a lighter rifle in the same hands will be faster and more effective. Even in your hands.

I'd also argue a lot of those items could be replaced with better alternatives. A 18" barrel in .223 gives little over a 16" but more weight. Your optics collection could be solved with a 1-4X short dot, or a Leupold CQBSS if you need to spend as much money as you currently have tied up. I'm convinced the way to go is a TA11 series (3.5x) and an offset T1 as its marginal weight over a Shortdot in a Larue is worth it when it comes to speed.

Step 1.
Pull half that junk off.
Step 2.
Buy a BOB of some sort.
Step 3.
Put all those goodies in the BOB.
Step 4.
Go outside and try it out.

You will be faster into position, yet more capable of dealing with immediate issues. This bonus in time will allow you to retrieve gadgets and add/remove them as needed. Downside is posting pictures of your shopping awesome will take more work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you are spending too much time buying gun accessories and not enough time doing. What accessories do you not own, or have mounted?

Why does that matter? Because regardless of your height, weight, bf%...your rifle is way too heavy. I know that without knowing exactly how much it weighs. I can see all those accessories and have stopped using most of them because of their added weight when mounted. You're running all of them at once. You have a foregrip and a handstop and a bipod all at the same time...come on. Just because they make it, doesn't mean you need to buy it...

Sure, you could put your watch, phone, wallet, and car keys on it too. And you could carry it fine. And you're in such ninja good shape it wouldn't affect your ability to be awesome with it. But there isn't a person on this board who wouldn't tell you the rifle would be more effective, and you no less, with those items in your pockets. If you need all those doodads, put them in a BOB and use the QD mounts to swap as needed. All that crap on one gun at one time is dumb. Going to the GYM all day every day will not change the fact that a lighter rifle in the same hands will be faster and more effective. Even in your hands.

I'd also argue a lot of those items could be replaced with better alternatives. A 18" barrel in .223 gives little over a 16" but more weight. Your optics collection could be solved with a 1-4X short dot, or a Leupold CQBSS if you need to spend as much money as you currently have tied up. I'm convinced the way to go is a TA11 series (3.5x) and an offset T1 as its marginal weight over a Shortdot in a Larue is worth it when it comes to speed.

Step 1.
Pull half that junk off.
Step 2.
Buy a BOB of some sort.
Step 3.
Step 4.

You will be faster into position, yet more capable of dealing with immediate issues. This bonus in time will allow you to retrieve gadgets and add/remove them as needed. Downside is posting pictures of your shopping awesome will take more work. </div></div>

Perhaps I should have been more clear, I obviously don't run around shooting offhand with the bipod attached, however most of my shooting with this gun is done supported, hence why the bipod is there on a qd swivel.
Why on earth would I want an acog on an 18" SS precision upper when I already have one on a 16" CL? Not sure that I follow, I've never seen an SPR with an acog or 1-4 as the primary optic, perhaps a RECCE?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mewsox</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you are spending too much time buying gun accessories and not enough time doing. What accessories do you not own, or have mounted?

Step 1.
Pull half that junk off.
Step 2.
Buy a BOB of some sort.
Step 3.
Step 4.

You will be faster into position, yet more capable of dealing with immediate issues. This bonus in time will allow you to retrieve gadgets and add/remove them as needed. Downside is posting pictures of your shopping awesome will take more work. </div></div>

Perhaps I should have been more clear, I obviously don't run around shooting offhand with the bipod attached, however most of my shooting with this gun is done supported, hence why the bipod is there on a qd swivel.
Why on earth would I want an acog on an 18" SS precision upper when I already have one on a 16" CL? Not sure that I follow, I've never seen an SPR with an acog or 1-4 as the primary optic, perhaps a RECCE?</div></div>

I think the commentary is related to your title, "Your One and Only Gun". What you have, albeit very nice, is not really as multipurpose as you may think and people are pointing that out and offering suggestions on how to make it multipurpose.

I'm just glad I can have more then one, leaves room for lots of different options, calibers, optics, etc.

I like it. I personally do not expect to shoot anyone but it would fit all of my needs. Medium range target shooting, hunting, and three gun matches.

KAC SR-25 EM Carbine w/ can
NF 2.5-10x24 (or some S&B FFP piece, I'm just a NF whore)
JPoint on a 45deg mount
Larue/Harris bipod in your back pocket

If you are strong enough to drive a 308 AR, that is. Definitely not for everyone, and will force feed you humble pie all day long if you let it.

LonewolfUSMC said it. Really nice rig, as long as you don't have to operate with it in the field all day.

My two cents for a ONE And ONLY RIG:

I love the .308, but would rather be able to carry LOTS of 5.56 rounds in the field, if it was my one and only rifle.

Bipods are great on a precision .308. Not so much on a ONE GUN ONLY rig. If you have to take a long shot, you get into position and shoot off a hasty rest, rock, log, jacket or your backpack.

A quality 1-4 short dot will do everything you need to do out to 400 plus yards and more. If you have to operate in low light, you'll be thankful for low magnification and a good lit reticle. It's a 5.56, for crying out loud; 600 yard and out shots will be difficult in less than ideal environmental conditions and your down range energy minimal. You're better off avoiding the conflict or stalking in closer if you have to.

I'd choose a Primary Weapon Systems MK114 with a short dot. Light, reliable, low maintenance, and accurate.

Mewsox, great topic and nice rifle! Enjoy.

One rifle to do it all. 5.56, its cheaper and lighter ammo than .308, if its outside the effective range chances are I don't NEED to shoot it. Barrel: 18 or 20, slight increase in velocity/energy, still relatively compact without supressor mounted. BUIS: folding, not that picky but gotta have them on the gun, zeroed. Optic: one of the new 1.whatevers-8X on a QD so when it goes down it can get out of the way. Yard everything else off it, its just weight and snags.
So essentially I like your basic rifle, and would call it a good base, it won't do everything, but it could be a fine compromise, I wouldn't want all the accessories, on the gun or in a pack. I shed all the shit off my AR and don't think it'll ever go back on.

sweet looking rifle. IMHO I would rather have 308 for a one and only rifle.... Colt is coming out with the SP901 which uses it's own 308 upper but had the ability to take any manufactures 5.56 upper.... I can't wait to read some reviews on that.

How do you like your T1 off canted?

I've done some careful consideration to this topic over the last year. I have been blessed with some very nice rifles, and the ability to use them hard to see their strengths / weaknesses. Every last rifle I have, has a special place in my soul. All of my rifles are for specific purposes... but, if I had to bug out and leave them all behind, the rifle that would go with me, is my PWS MK114.

Over the past year, I have shot the SNOT out of that rifle. I have loaned it to various agencies and they have shot the SNOT out of it. It wears an ACOG in the TA-31F variety. The ACOG is a simple sight, and works well... but, it's a little hard to hold for wind at distance, without some serious SWAG. I would replace the ACOG for a US Optics 1-4 if I had my d'ruthers. It did very well at the US Army Marksmanship School with the ACOG... and I routinely shoot it on steel out to 500 yards with ease.

It goes bang when I pull the trigger, and feeds anything. It's also very, very accurate.

I have a bug out bag full of MK262 and Black Hills 77 grain Match... but, in a pinch, I can find .223 / 5.56 ammo much easier than .308 or any other caliber.

I would feel comfortable in the performance of the MK262 from this rifle, and I've got enough time behind it to know it won't fail on me.

Now, having said all of that... a great do EVERYTHING rifle, in my mind, is the venerable 30-06. You can find ammo for those things all over the place. It's a very versatile rifle.

This is an interesting topic of discussion, and one that I often times engage in with students. It's nice to see the mindset from different perspectives.

In the end, is my PWS MK114 the ULTIMATE grab and go / do everything rifle? No. Not by a long shot. But, it's the one that I own, that I feel most comfortable with, if I had to leave the others behind.

Cheers!!!

Sounds like a nice setup. But how could you just own one gun? Just kidding.

My choice for if I was to have only one AR, would be a SBR AR15. Cheaper ammo, lighter weight, etc. But then of course, a bolt action magnum would be it's partner.

For all those of you that talk about the weight, you need to start working out or something. I weighed mine without bipod and suppressor and it was only 10lbs.

Personally I use a very similar rifle. I've built two that are nearly identical, because they're so damn versatile. SPR's are pretty much the Do-All rifle. I used mine in 3-gun, a long range match and a super close up CQB multigun match. I lugged mine around a bunch for 2 days at the findley cup and the only thing that was tired was my feet.

For all these match situations, just run it without the suppressor. That's what really slows the rifle down from shot to shot since it has the moment too far forward. Also ditch the bipod and vertical grips. (Vertical grips are pointless anyways. A thumb over grip gives WAY more control.) If shooting longer range from a prone position, then use the bipod. I've got 2 sets of differing heights that have throwlever mounts. Running an heavier buttstock will help with any balance issues. Heck these rifles with the NXS scope dialed down to 3.5x are pretty darn close to weight and feel of an M16A4 with the KAC rail, an RCO ACOG and Peq2a. Yet this are capable of SOOO much more in terms of accuracy and adaptability. If I were to only have one rifle, this would be it.

Oh yeah, and when I did 3gun, I found myself reverting back to just using the scope for short distances. It seems that breaking form in order to roll the rifle in order to see the reddot, is something that would take a lot of practice. Still, it didn't really slow me down, I just aimed at the blurry IPSC and made easy hits.

SPR_2nd.jpg

SPR_Suppressed.jpg

Of course, I have more than one rifle, so for my super close up CQB multi gun competition I tend to run this. It's shortness and lightweight nature makes it very fast for followup shots and movement between targets. Still, I really don't feel comfortable with it out past 200yds.

LightWeight_REV.jpg

If you swapped the big NF onto the second one, would you feel comfortable with it past 200yds? Or do you feel you need the extra weight and 2" of barrel still?

+1 on the EMC+suppressor and NF 2.5-10x24. That's what I run and I have a 6.5-20 lupy if I need to really reach out. I think 100-300 is all you really need. Can't see engaging any "threat" at over that!

Like most of us here on the forum, I have more than a few rifles, now calibers thats a different thing. 223, 264lbc and 308 rule the roost. If I was restricted to one gun, it would be my 264lbc, now shes not pretty but she does shoot and that what counts. Is it missing a few things sure, but shes accurate, fun to shoot and I think she covers most of the bases. It has a 18 inch barrel with 1/8 twist, I have shot 140's out of it with surprisingly good accuracy, but 123 scenars are hard to beat. The 2.5-10x24 NXS is awesome and NF should bring it back. Obviously, I have a different grip and buis sights for it, and she does have a baby upper at home in 223, if I ever run short of ammo. Hoping to add an AAC M4/SPR in the near future and call it done. Salmonaxe, your rifles look awesome.
IMG_0776.jpg

You have too much stuff on that thing (scope, bipod) to be your only rifle. I won't be as concerned with trying to clear my neighbor's house as I would be with someone trying to clear your house. To protect against that, you need something light and intuitive, like an M4 with aimpoint and no bipod, M203, etc.

I would have to go with my PWS MK 214 w/ a SN4S 1-4x, CTR buttstock with an Ambi-Ergo grip (which suprisingly helps with weight when shooting one handed)and canted open sights. My 214 is a very light for a piston gun, and the shorter barrel takes some weight off of the front end.