• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your opinion wanted on TRG Mods

Bolo

Apprentice of Disaster
Minuteman
A little background... I finally got the greenlight to retire my "I wish I were a real M24" R700 and get a new precision shootin' iron. I decided on a TRG-22 for a bunch of reasons.
I'm looking for what "killer mods" are out there for fit and shootability. I'd like to get as much as I can done up front without needing to spend a bunch of time tinkering and waiting for FedEx deliveries for rando parts.
So far, I've read most of the TRG threads on here, and from what I can see:
  • Planning to swap the top rail with a Spuhr
  • I'll probably end up with a new TRG with post-2013 trigger, so looking for advice there
  • I'm not sold on swapping out the stock with a chassis- just a personal preference
  • Leaning toward the Sako bipod, but seem like a lot of shooters prefer a spigot and Atlas.
  • Really considering KRG's switch barrel setup.
So my ask: What awesome mods did you do to make your TRG yours?

A little background... I finally got the greenlight to retire my "I wish I were a real M24" R700 and get a new precision shootin' iron. I decided on a TRG-22 for a bunch of reasons.
I'm looking for what "killer mods" are out there for fit and shootability. I'd like to get as much as I can done up front without needing to spend a bunch of time tinkering and waiting for FedEx deliveries for rando parts.
  • I'll probably end up with a new TRG with post-2013 trigger, so looking for advice there
  • I'm not sold on swapping out the stock with a chassis- just a personal preference
  • Leaning toward the Sako bipod, but seem like a lot of shooters prefer a spigot and Atlas.

-Keep the existing picatinny rail and just get a Spuhr one piece mount
-There is NOTHING inferior about a current production TRG to a pre 2013 model contrary to the BS posted online about trigger weights
-No need to change the stock out for any chassis. You might consider an adjustable cheekpiece which is a good upgrade
-Get the SAKO bipod. It is spendy but nice!
-Why would you want to go to a KRG switch barrel setup. Just get the TRG in the caliber you want. Keep it a Rolex and do not turn it into a Brolex............

EJ

This is interesting since I just got a TRG22 in 6.5cm, ordered spuhr mount and nightforce ultralight rings not knowing which way to go, TRG bipod and Sako MB... Only other thing Ive considered is the adjustable cheekpiece or the KRG folding back stock.

This is interesting since I just got a TRG22 in 6.5cm, ordered spuhr mount and nightforce ultralight rings not knowing which way to go, TRG bipod and Sako MB... Only other thing Ive considered is the adjustable cheekpiece or the KRG folding back stock.
Greggdrews,
You should consider getting a Kahntrol muzzle brake. They are much lighter than the factory steel TRG brake and do not have the back blast/pressure that a TRG brake has. Go to Kahntrol.com
EJ

The Terja adjustable is nice... I have one on my 42
E199D03B-26FE-4CFE-BF58-A6D193D524F5.jpeg

Reactions: Bolo
maybe my google/search skills are not the best but where can I purchase the Terja adjustable for purchase?

I like the Spuhr TRG Mount. I ditched the factory pic rail for one. I figure one less set of fasteners is a good thing. The downside is it limits using that mount on Sako and Tikka rifles and may be difficult to sell of you change scope tube sizes.

I have no experience with the SAKO bipod. I would get a spigot mount from BT Industries(Atlas Bipods) or KRG and choose any of the premium bipods available today.

I find the stock to be comfortable and easy to adjust the cheek riser and LOP with spacers. The down side is they’re a little pricey for what they are from Sako.

I’ll probably get a KRG W3 next time they are in stock. I like the flat forend on T1x Bravo a lot.

I like the Spuhr TRG Mount. I ditched the factory pic rail for one. I figure one less set of fasteners is a good thing. The downside is it limits using that mount on Sako and Tikka rifles and may be difficult to sell of you change scope tube sizes.

I have no experience with the SAKO bipod. I would get a spigot mount from BT Industries(Atlas Bipods) or KRG and choose any of the premium bipods available today.

I find the stock to be comfortable and easy to adjust the cheek riser and LOP with spacers. The down side is they’re a little pricey for what they are from Sako.

I’ll probably get a KRG W3 next time they are in stock. I like the flat forend on T1x Bravo a lot.

I actually also ordered the Rugged Ridge Bipod first and then read a bunch of posts on here saying just go for the Sako TRG bipod. Since I have a Sako S20 preordered I'll probably put the RR on that and stick with the TRG on my TRG.

That guy... takes a bit to get but worth the wait IMHO

Attachments

• B42C14A4-D54A-4C01-BBF9-B361A715CE46.jpeg
    B42C14A4-D54A-4C01-BBF9-B361A715CE46.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 78
Reactions: greggdrews
I think the mods depend on your use and caliber. I got a post 2013 in 2013. It was a Eurooptics special run done by APA. Mine came in 6.5x47. I couldn’t get the x47 to run consistently in the TRG mags. So I got a KRG backbone conversion for AI mags, which unfortunately they don’t make anymore. I had no more x47 problems. I recently went to shooting the 6.5 Addiction. Because of its case length I don’t think I would have had a problem. I still use the AI conversion backbone so I can run 14 round mags. The problem that I did run into was my action overhung my mag, so if a bullet tip went forward too much it could catch. I had the feed ramp cut back to eliminate that problem. This could happen with either a trg mag or a binder less AI mag. I run my trg as my prs rifle. I tried the Sako bipod which is great for general prone shooting, but the length extension button is at a perfect spot to bump into barricades, so I run a Harris and a KRG spigot. I wouldn’t recommend the Trg brake. I used to use eurooptics copy of the roedale brake which was fantastic. I have since switched to a PVA shockwave and have gotten my more recent barrels threaded 5/8x24. I had to play with the cheek piece height, but I prefer the trg spacer because there is basically no way for it to come out of adjustment. I use the KRG action wrench and buy shouldered barrels. PVA will do prefits and other places will keep the measurements on file so you only have to send the action once. But I also see no issues with a barrel nut system either. I keep a barrel on hand because my addiction only lasts 1500-2000 rounds for a barrel. If I was running the TRG mags, I’d probably be using the KRG whiskey3. I’ve been looking very hard at getting a vision products foreend.

Last edited:
I got the Accu-shot spigot, Atlas PSR bipod, ERA-TAC 20MOA mount, a few LOP spacers, TIS sling, and called it good.

It came with the brake which was fine as I have a 762SD that didn't have a home.

preview

I have a TRG 22 in 6.5 CM. I replaced the factory pic rail with a Spuhr ST-3701, I installed a Sako factory muzzle brake which reduced recoil quite a bit allowing faster follow up shots and i use a CAL Atlas bipod.

That is one sexy beast.

I have one with some of his other parts if you're interested. Bought them, work great, but just sold the rifle so no need anymore. He's currently at a 6 month wait and I would say it's worth it.

I scored a decked out TRG22 from a friend early on this year. It has been a dream rifle of mine for several years, and it replaced a souped up R700.
So, it was decked out with a lot of aftermarket goodies, like the KRG spigot, picatinny rail, KRG folder etc etc.
Here is what I changed and how I feel about it.

1. I had a Warne picatinny rail on it. Replaced it with a Spuhr ISMS direct mount, it looks better, is rock solid and I have no regrets. Would do it again.
2. The trigger is my favourite trigger, period. Its a pre 2013 and I cant say anything bad about it.
3. I have the KRG folding rear stock for it. It is the best folder money can buy if you ask me. All the adjustment you could ever want and awesome looks. I have had a few Whiskey3 chassis before so I knew I would like it. I will never change it.
4. When I got it, I ran a Harris bipod on a KRG spigot. It worked, but I had my eyes set on a Sako bipod. So I sold the spigot and got myself the spendy original bipod. I know that a lot of shooters see it as the holy grail of bipods, but I have to say. While it is ok, it is very different to the Harris and ATLAS PSR I was used to. So I am not a super fan of the feel of the bipod, but I will keep it anyways. It did take some time to get used to, atleast for me.
5. KRGs barrel setup is probably awesome, I have little doubt about it. But shoot the original barrel out first. I live in Sweden so getting barrels from KRG can be done, but it will take some time, and money.

On top of that, I have a little pet project going as I am making a carbon fiber front section for my TRG. I will post pictures when it is done. Oh, and I have an Ase Utra SL7 bore lock suppressor wating for me at the post office. So today will be a good day, as Ice Cube once said.

1597766504560.png

• Love
Reactions: Bolo
I'd probably go Near Mfg over Spuhr, but thats just me - you cant go wrong either way. Near also makes a rail if you dont want to commit to one size rings.
http://trg42.com/

I like the OEM stock a lot, but the LOP is short. Its on my list to buy an extended recoil pad - theres none available off the shelf. You can mod them, I've just had other stuff going on. BTW my gun already has spacers and its a 42, hence why I want more recoil pad and not more spacers. FWIW I have a KRG stock for the gun as well, but I put the OEM stock back on - there is just something about it to me, haha.
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/sako-trg-limbsaver-pad-mod-complete-w-pics.99898/

You can get shouldered pre-fits instead of KRG's system if you prefer, but the KRG system is also nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krazy_jim
I got the Accu-shot spigot, Atlas PSR bipod, ERA-TAC 20MOA mount, a few LOP spacers, TIS sling, and called it good.

It came with the brake which was fine as I have a 762SD that didn't have a home.

preview

Any idea if that spigot will work with a harris bipod and an RRS adapter or the like? Also how is it holding up?

My intended reaction was a sad panda emoji. I'm in lust with the M10. Unfortunately, it's not in the cards yet, this is not my only expensive hobby.

That wasn't an M10. That was the TRG 22A1. More expensive than the original 22, but nowhere near the nosebleed price of the M10.

I'd take the 22A1 over any AI.......but I'm a sucker for Sakos.

That wasn't an M10. That was the TRG 22A1. More expensive than the original 22, but nowhere near the nosebleed price of the M10.

I'd take the 22A1 over any AI.......but I'm a sucker for Sakos.

Just like the one I have for sale. What?

Spuhr Mount and an atlas Bipod Mount. I had a KRG rear stock but didn’t care for it. Have a 6.5 and 308. Both are shooters

Attachments

• C77F8528-1B55-40A4-A4EF-7AF81C6C7A2F.jpeg
    C77F8528-1B55-40A4-A4EF-7AF81C6C7A2F.jpeg
    417.4 KB · Views: 43
EJ, did you get the barrel rethreaded or do the clamp-on style?
No modification is needed as the Kahntrol muzzle brake is the correct metric thread pitch. Call Kahntrol and ask for Jeremy and he will fix you right up. Their brakes are great!
EJ

My intended reaction was a sad panda emoji. I'm in lust with the M10. Unfortunately, it's not in the cards yet, this is not my only expensive hobby.
For the price of an M10 you can get three standard TRG's.........it is time to end your lust affair with the M10!
EJ

No modification is needed as the Kahntrol muzzle brake is the correct metric thread pitch. Call Kahntrol and ask for Jeremy and he will fix you right up. Their brakes are great!
EJ
I checked out their site and see they offer 18x1.5 but I believe the Sako threads are 18x1...Am I incorrect or do I need to contact them for the custom thread pitch?

I checked out their site and see they offer 18x1.5 but I believe the Sako threads are 18x1...Am I incorrect or do I need to contact them for the custom thread pitch?
Just give Jeremy a call and he will fix you right up. Their brakes are the best on the TRG.
EJ

Reactions: greggdrews
I have owned several TRG’s both pre and post ‘13 fixed and Sako folder (gen II w/ the dogleg monopod) and shot the vertical monopod Gen I Sako folder. I like all 3 stock configurations personally (the KRG is good too but not nearly as nice as the Sako folder). I very much prefer the pre ‘13 trigger over the new design, there absolutely is a difference.

Reactions: R_Swanson
I’ve got 3 TRGs is at this point.... A near rail and a near mound on my first 42, I’m putting a SPUHR on the 22, and I have a rail from GTW:

Richard near makes a fantastic Picatinny rail for the TRG, but I wanted to check out the GTW rail because it’s actually a lower profile.

Agreed, Richard Near’s rail is excellent so is his brake for the TRG.
All I see are scope mounts and rails on their website, is the brake something they used to make?

Edit: I found it at a different URL, they have two web sites, one shows the brake and the other doesn’t.

Last edited:
I bought this near rail from a member. He advertised as a trg22 rail but the action in the photo is a trg 22 and you can see the lugs dont match. He said he took it off his trg22. The lugs are spaced and shaped differently. The rail wont fit. Could it be for a TrG 42? If a trg42 action is longer then this rail would be really short in comparison.

567205C8-6C3B-4D9C-AF24-5D28D3CCC943.jpeg