• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Your Scope Recommendation Based on Glass and Image

nick338

Commander- of what I have no idea
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2013
I think I'm going to downsize (shorter and thinner tube), from a ZCO 5-27 and upgrade the image/glass on a NF 4-20. Looking to stay in the 5-25 or similar power range so I'm looking at the Kahles k25i DLR as a replacement for both scopes. Or another recommendation if there is one.

Obviously the title suggests the glass and image quality are the factors in the decision. The ZCO is next level up on the NF but can the Kahles compare to it? Eyebox, shadowing, field of view, edge to edge clarity and no tunneling are at the top of my list. Basically want something very forgiving and not fatiguing if I'm looking through it for long periods of time.

TT does not apply as I have no desire to spend that money. Any recommendation in the $3-4k range will do.

I had a Schmidt 5-25 a few years ago with a P4F. Too hard to compare the image from the ZCO and the Schmidt from memory but I vaguely remember some tunneling and a narrower fov. I like the size of that Kahles, just haven't had an opportunity to look through one.

Reactions: FuhQ
I think I'm going to downsize (shorter and thinner tube), from a ZCO 5-27
Any reason to not just get a 4-20 ZCO? Downsizing the tube seems kind of arbitrary.

Reactions: Secant
I had a Schmidt 5-25 a few years ago with a P4F. Too hard to compare the image from the ZCO and the Schmidt from memory but I vaguely remember some tunneling and a narrower fov. I like the size of that Kahles, just haven't had an opportunity to look through one.
You should…I love all 4 of my Kahles scopes.

Any reason to not just get a 4-20 ZCO? Downsizing the tube seems kind of arbitrary.

Shorter scope, thinner tube and more options for mounting height with rings, mounts, etc. Plus I would like the extra magnification because my eyes are not what they used to be.

You should…I love all 4 of my Kahles scopes.
Have you had the K24i and compared it to the new K25i DLR? I had the 24i when it first came out and I'm wondering how it stacks up to the DLR.

Have you had the K24i and compared it to the new K25i DLR? I had the 24i when it first came out and I'm wondering how it stacks up to the DLR.
The newest generation K624i with the SKMR4 reticle has exceptional glass and the turrets are as close to perfection as I’ve felt. The parallax is also dead-on. I have 2 of them, and a current gen K318i SKMR3. I’ve looked though a few of the 525’s, and to me, they seem pretty damn close. I haven’t looked through a DLR, but I’m assuming everything is the same, just a wider FOV.

Reactions: nick338
M
I think I'm going to downsize (shorter and thinner tube), from a ZCO 5-27 and upgrade the image/glass on a NF 4-20. Looking to stay in the 5-25 or similar power range so I'm looking at the Kahles k25i DLR as a replacement for both scopes. Or another recommendation if there is one.

Obviously the title suggests the glass and image quality are the factors in the decision. The ZCO is next level up on the NF but can the Kahles compare to it? Eyebox, shadowing, field of view, edge to edge clarity and no tunneling are at the top of my list. Basically want something very forgiving and not fatiguing if I'm looking through it for long periods of time.

TT does not apply as I have no desire to spend that money. Any recommendation in the $3-4k range will do.
March FX 4.5-28x52 Wide Angle with Super ED Glass.

well im currently running a kahles and can say it has way better glass than a ATACR.
that said my kahles is currently being sent in for warranty for the 2nd time in over a year.
its tracked flawlessly and i have no concern about that aspect of the scope but the actual durability of the scope isnt there. Which is why im stepping down to a ATACR or possibly up to a zco

M

March FX 4.5-28x52 Wide Angle with Super ED Glass.
OP, based on your criteria this is worth looking at. However, you currently have ZCO so anything else not labeled TT wont stack up optically. As long as you don't mind going down slightly the March is impressive. Kahles DLR sounds really good but its not much shorter than ZCO 5-27. Out of curiosity why do you want short? You using clipons?

Now that I'm looking at measurements, it seems ZCO is on the shorter side compared to other scopes of similar magnification. The scope is going on a shorter rifle that currently wears a NF 4-20 and I am hoping to stay compact in size and go up a level in glass. Guess I will take a ride to EuroOptic and do some shopping around.

Reactions: Glassaholic
You couldn’t give me another Kahles unless I could sell it to buy something else. The glass certainly isn’t an upgrade from ATACR glass either, it’s a wash.

I’d keep the ZCO and not take a loss on it and sell the NF if you’re not happy with it and buy another ZCO, a TT, or a used S&B 5-25 if you want to save some $$.

You couldn’t give me another Kahles unless I could sell it to buy something else. The glass certainly isn’t an upgrade from ATACR glass either, it’s a wash.

I’d keep the ZCO and not take a loss on it and sell the NF if you’re not happy with it and buy another ZCO, a TT, or a used S&B 5-25 if you want to save some $$.
The NF is coming off no matter what. It's a very useful scope in so many applications and I have zero complaints about it other than I'm a glass snob. However I do not feel the extra charge for what TT is asking isn't justified over other top tier glass.

Last edited:
The NF is coming off no matter what. It's a very useful scope in so many applications and I have zero complaints about it other than I'm a glass snob. However I do not feel the extra charge for what TT is asking is justified over other top tier glass.

Actual street price isn’t much more than ZCO, nobody pays the 5-6K price tag unless their an idiot.

If you’re looking for great glass at a good value you can pick up S&B’s for around $2500.

Reactions: nick338
Not a DLR, but my K525i was not on par with my Tangent or ZCO. If you are picky about optics & you like your ZCO, I don't think you will be happy with the Kahles long term.

If you want to go shorter than the 527, get the 420. I know you said you wanted a smaller diameter tube, but the 420 is shorter and gives up nothing optically to the 527.