• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your thought on a .223 wssm

Furtaker_.223

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2010
Columbia IL
www.snipershide.com
I am looking at a .223 wssm,
Has anybody owned one? If so, how are they?
Can you still get brass, are the barrel burrners?
I assume you still use a 22 cal. bullet.

Can anyone shed some light on to get one or leave it alone.

Re: Your thought on a .223 wssm

The WSSMs are great...I have a .25, and I absolutely love it. Quality brass can be difficult to find, but once you score some you can work up some great loads. They only tend to be barrel burners if you're pushing them real hard, I like to stay right around 3k.

FT if you need more power than a .22 cal rifle than your .223 and want to stay with .22 cal then Id opt for the plain jane 22/250 or the old .220 swift.

Alternatively if your not committed to a second .22 cal rifle, already have a .223 and want another varmint gun I'd opt for a .243 win.

It is that I found one fairly cheep. I love my 223's, although I would love to have a 243 or a 25-06

I am toying with the idea. Just dont know about the brass.

I really like the .243 Winchester for Coyote hunting. Im running a .400BC 87 gr Vmax at 3100fps with 42.5gr IMR 4350 out of a Bellm Bergera 28" Prohunter barrel.

If its a Super Shadow model, some questionable ones left the New Haven plant just before it closed.
But if its a Coyote, Coyote Lite, or Stealth I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.
And if its a Super Shadow for less than $350, you could always re-barrel into one of the other wssm calibers.
BTW, there are several wildcat cartridges based on the wssm case.
Check Graf & Sons for brass.