• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Your thoughts on a G29

flyboy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2008
State College, PA
Both the pistol and the cartrige. I'm currently in a G27 and love it, but the prospects of a more powerfull round +1 is entreeging.

Give my your thoughts.

Re: Your thoughts on a G29

Put a piece of 2x4 in your pocket and see how comfortable that is for you.

I had one and sold it. Now a 1911 platform in 10mm wouldn't be so bad, in my opinion. The round is great, but again, like ATLRoach said, it's not for everyone.

----------->Intriguing<---------------

I have one as a daily carry piece. I have large hands so it fits well and I don't have a problem handling it.

It's hard to shoot the very very heavy 10mm's that I can load into a G20 because of the small size, but standard, off the shelf Win Silvertips are my carry ammo, and that's easy enough to hit 6" rapid fire at 7yd.

Get the Pierce grip floorplate for the mag if you get one.

Just get a Glock 23. The 29 offers you nothing that the 23 doesn't offer you in a carry piece.

my understanding is it's hard to find full power 10mm these days. So most of the 10mm you find will be about par with 40sw. I say get the g23

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just get a Glock 23. The 29 offers you nothing that the 23 doesn't offer you in a carry piece. </div></div>

Other than the fact that you can't shoot 10mm out of a GLOCK 23.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my understanding is it's hard to find full power 10mm these days. So most of the 10mm you find will be about par with 40sw. I say get the g23 </div></div>

www.doubletapammo.com

I have a G20 & G20ls and a few 1911 platforms in 10mm.I love the 10mm round its as accurate as the 45apc and has alot more power.I dont have a G29 but its been on my list.I also so reload the 10 so i can load up mild stuff for range practice or go Full power.

I carry a G29 exclusively. They newer generation has a light rail so you can carry a gun light. That's why I DID NOT pick the G27 as my carry gun. Finding 10mm ammo can be a little expensive. I hear that you can buy a .40 caliber barrel for the G29 and shoot 40 through it. That is going to be my next purchase.

Depends upon your intended use and expectations...

More powerful cartridge usually = bigger gun and yep, the G29 is certainly bulkier than your G27. You don't see G29s in a lot of pants pockets, short of Captain Kangaroo, or an ankle holster without Woodstock bell bottoms, but for a relatively small gun bag or a strong side belt slide the G29 works just fine for me. Experimented often with IWB over the years, but it just never grew on me, so I seriously doubt a thick pistol like the G29 would change that.

With real 10mm ammo, the G29 can do a lot more than any .40S&W can. Offerings from DT and Buffalo Bore are real fire breathers...if that is what you need. That is for you to decide though...is the buck, bump and bark of the 10mm worth the extra power on target?

I'm more than happy with my 357Sig G32 as my every day carry gun. Folks don't wear alot of clothes here in South Florida, so light and fast works. Frequent cold weather travel north (via air) for work and I switch to .45, sometimes the G30, but lately a Kahr P45 or even PM45. The G29 has been a steady companion for 9 years now for extended vacation travel out west (via air). If its summer, Corbon 135JHP in town and BB 200FMJFP for the woods. Other than summer, in town Win 175STHP or BB 180GDHP and now the BB 200FMJFP which will be changed to BB 200WFNGC in the woods next trip.

Balancing relatively small size for carryability/concealment with power greater than .357Mag and approaching that of short barrel .41Mag works, for me anyway. The G29 is a niche gun, and for my particular niche, I doubt there is anything better. YMMV though
wink.gif

Thanks for all the replys, I guess the biggest consern is going to be the concealment issue with a slightly larger pistole.

I'm not worried about the recoil, the extra noise or fire. Or the extra cost of ammo (i'll reload for practice) I'm just looking for the biggest bang for the size and concealment.

Keep the replys coming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the replys, I guess the biggest consern is going to be the concealment issue with a slightly larger pistole.

I'm not worried about the recoil, the extra noise or fire. Or the extra cost of ammo (i'll reload for practice) I'm just looking for the biggest bang for the size and concealment.

Keep the replys coming. </div></div>

Why don't you look at an airweight .357 MAG then? Or even better...Air Lite....talk about recoil.

Cus 10 rounds is better than 5. I have no desire to lose all feeling in the hand for a week after shooting, its just that the recoil has never been a real issue for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wiskey_33</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just get a Glock 23. The 29 offers you nothing that the 23 doesn't offer you in a carry piece. </div></div>

Other than the fact that you can't shoot 10mm out of a GLOCK 23. </div></div>

Let me do a little conversion for you:

10 millimeters = 0.393700787 inches

Sounds pretty damn close to .40 to me.

Yes, 10mm Auto is more powerful than .40 S&W, but I don't think it's significant when we're talking about a subcompact pistol for concealed carry.

The best CCW pistol, in my opinion, is one that you can get a follow up shot on target as quickly as possible. The G29 has to be the absolute worst for this as it has a really bad combination of features--small, light, and powerful.

10mm Auto would be an awesome cartridge in a pistol or revolver with a 6" barrel, but in a subcompact, it's little more than bragging rights.

Perhaps I'm biased because I only shoot 9mm and .45, but I see little use for 10mm besides full power loads from a full size gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cus 10 rounds is better than 5. I have no desire to lose all feeling in the hand for a week after shooting, its just that the recoil has never been a real issue for me. </div></div>

Then 13 ought to be even better then. The G23 gives you 13+1.

If recoil has never been an issue for you, you probably are a bad judge of skill. I've been shooting USPSA for a long time, and even though I shoot better on paper with my .45s, there's little question for me--when it comes to shooting fast, I am WAY faster with a 9mm than a .45.

Once recoil reaches the range of a .357 Magnum or higher, I think it's essential to realize that you have a gun in your hand that is very difficult to control with full power loads, especially in a self defense scenario where shooting fast is almost always better than shooting well.

If you just have to have a G29 for fun, thats cool, but as a carry weapon there are better choices in the Glock family. Either the G27 or if you have larger hands a G30. When you compare the 10mm to the 40 S&W, it has more powder, larger case, but the same bullet. The popularity of the 40 S&W came about because of the FBI, initially they were using the 10mm, but the ability for follow up shot placement and control was better with the 40 S&W. The FBI was still using the 10mm in the MP5 platform up until 9/11. Once the FBI moved away the ammunition manufactures slowed production. If you want more knock down in a concealable platform go with the G30, if you think you need more control go with a G27. Either way, you will be able to walk into any Walmart or hardware store and pick up 40 S&W or 45 ACP, good luck doing that with a 10mm. Besides shot placement is more important than being able to sling lead down range. I have been carrying a G27 as my off duty weapon for over ten years and have never had an issue were I thought a 10mm would better suit my needs. As a final note, to the previous poster that suggested reloading for it, that fine, but don't short yourself by reloading plinking ammo for the range and full loads for carry. Always train with what you will carry, because when the situation presents itself you will revert to your training. That goes for any load.

I've owned both a 29 and a 23, and I'll say I was more accurate with the 23, perhaps due to the longer barrel, longer grip, and less powerful round.

I will say though, I never felt the 29 was "too powerful". Practice shooting and you'll be fine.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Love mine. 10+1 rds of high-performance 10mm AUTO in a handy, concealable package.</span>
BB.jpg

It's a great little blaster that's never given me any problems. Plus, it's proven very accurate with, surprisingly, a wide range of ammo - from the .40-level "Brokeback Mountain" loads to mid-range to Double Tap's full-throttle 10mm product.

"Hot"-ish 10mm loads are also available from Buffalo Bore, Corbon and Geo Arms (155gn GDHP @ 1375fps). Hornady still markets a 180gn 10mm XTP-HP @ 1180fps (warmish midrange, but passable).

MIB-2.jpg

Because of increased ammo costs, I now reload a "training" round which essentially duplicates the fps/fpe specs of DT's 10mm "practice" load, which is a 180gn FMJ @ 1250fps.

The issue referenced earlier about a G29 carrying like a "2x4" in your pocket is a nonsequitar as applied to caliber: if you don't like the way Glocks in general feel in your hand or carry on your hip, then the particular caliber is irrelevant.

I also have a G20 and a 1911 Colt Delta and can carry either of those as well, no problems. The G29 is just smaller and handier. It's the same size as the G30, so any holster that fits the compact, large-frame .45acp Glock will fit the G29. If you can't access a G29 to handle or test-fire, try handling or shooting a G30. It'll be close enough in feel to give you some idea of whether you'll even like a G29.

A while back, I did have Bowie Tactical Concepts do grip reduction work to tailor the G29's frame to my large hand. The result was great and only made me like this pistol more.
wink.gif
He's done reductions to many G30s and mine wasn't his first G29.
G29-4.jpg

www.bowietacticalconcepts.com

The G29's become my primary carry piece and I've qualified with it. I've also used it in tactical training with my ARs as my secondary/back-up weapon (see pic in Sig-line below).

<span style="font-weight: bold">The G29, like the round it's chambered for, is versatile: general CCW, duty use, training or late-night "home security."</span>
G29-5.jpg

Hope this helps.
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As a final note, to the previous poster that suggested reloading for it, that fine, but don't short yourself by reloading plinking ammo for the range and full loads for carry. Always train with what you will carry, because when the situation presents itself you will revert to your training. That goes for any load. </div></div>

Recoil is not necessary for practice. Even training with a .22 is fine. If lighter recoiling loads are what you need to use in order to practice, it's fine.

I've shot more 230 grain LRN .45 bullets at 750 FPS than I care to count, and it has helped my shooting immensely. I don't need to load them to 850 to get the benefit of practice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As a final note, to the previous poster that suggested reloading for it, that fine, but don't short yourself by reloading plinking ammo for the range and full loads for carry. Always train with what you will carry, because when the situation presents itself you will revert to your training. That goes for any load. </div></div>

Recoil is not necessary for practice. Even training with a .22 is fine. If lighter recoiling loads are what you need to use in order to practice, it's fine.

I've shot more 230 grain LRN .45 bullets at 750 FPS than I care to count, and it has helped my shooting immensely. I don't need to load them to 850 to get the benefit of practice. </div></div>

The purpose of utilizing a lower caliber or weaker load is for those individuals who do not have the fundamentals of marksmanship or are just learning. Once those fundamentals are learned, and the person can demonstrate those fundamentals, the weapon and load that are going to be carried should be the choice for training. I will not disagree that practice with a 22 or other smaller caliber is not beneficial for practice, but if the shooter never practices with the load they are going to carry, they are doing themselves a great dis-service.

As another point of information, if recoil plays no part in practice than the shooter might as well take an old unloaded revolver, place a quarter on the barrel and practice their fundamentals that way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As another point of information, if recoil plays no part in practice than the shooter might as well take an old unloaded revolver, place a quarter on the barrel and practice their fundamentals that way. </div></div>

That is, in fact, a great way to practice, and we'd all be better shooters if we did more of that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As another point of information, if recoil plays no part in practice than the shooter might as well take an old unloaded revolver, place a quarter on the barrel and practice their fundamentals that way. </div></div>

That is, in fact, a great way to practice, and we'd all be better shooters if we did more of that. </div></div>

I've started doing this as well. I put snap caps in the 44mag and watch tv while practicing. I have to close the blinds first to make sure someone doesn't walk by and think I'm about to do something I shouldn't be...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As another point of information, if recoil plays no part in practice than the shooter might as well take an old unloaded revolver, place a quarter on the barrel and practice their fundamentals that way. </div></div>

That is, in fact, a great way to practice, and we'd all be better shooters if we did more of that. </div></div>

I've started doing this as well. I put snap caps in the 44mag and watch tv while practicing. I have to close the blinds first to make sure someone doesn't walk by and think I'm about to do something I shouldn't be...

</div></div>

Feck um, Let them through a fit. That is unless PA has gone the way of the commy.

I have had my G20 since they first came out - back when the FBI was interested in the 10mm - and I was 13y/o. The 10mm in the Glocks is not hard to shoot, even with full power loads. I find the 10mm 1911's perceived recoil a little harder to take. My G20 is accurate enough to stay on a paper plate @ 100yds with only a little holdover and still packs plenty of smack at that range. I have several times contemplated a G29 - especially since they now come with a rail. When I shot my G20 a lot, I preferred the 200gr aluminum cased Blaser ammo at about $10-12 a box so I didn't have to chase brass or reload. This stuff is over $20 a box of 50 now - so that's out.

The 10mm has plenty of stomp and is a hard round to beat when it comes to the numbers game. The load to shoot for SD is the 175gr STHP Winchester.

If you can afford the ammo to practice or don't mind chasing the brass, I'd say get it. It's hard to beat - but it's really not very much more concealable than a G20 (especially with a grip extension and/or G20 mags in it). And the G20 is much easier to shoot accurately and quickly.

My .40S&W conversion barrel throws the brass right at my face, despite trying a couple of different extractors and ejectors and several different recoil springs. I wouldn't count on shooting much .40S&W for practice or bother with a .40S&W barrel because of this. Light 10mm's don't do this and work just fine.

The smallest size Glocks handle too much like bricks; not enough like pistols. The mid-size, like the G19/23, carries better and is easier to shoot well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The smallest size Glocks handle too much like bricks; not enough like pistols. The mid-size, like the G19/23, carries better and is easier to shoot well. </div></div>

First, that's an overstatement for those owners whose hands these guns fit nicely, as not everyone has "woodle" girlie hands.

Second, Glock released its G29SF & G30SF models with a slightly reduced grip circumference precisely to widen the appeal of these compact large-frame pistols for those members of the "its-a-brick" crowd. OTOH, the jury's still out on the SF guns, as some have claimed the reduction is but a mere "3mms" total on the large frame models.

Third, <span style="font-style: italic">for those who already own a large-frame Glock</span> (i.e., a G20/G21/G29/G30), there are several custom outfits that can do grip-reduction work at <span style="font-weight: bold">less cost</span> than a new SF pistol - and the reduced circumference will substantially exceeds what Glock does on the its SFs.

See, e.g., www.bowietacticalconcepts.com (BTC)

<span style="font-weight: bold">BTC G21</span>
bowieG21.jpg

cool.gif