• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your Thoughts On Bertram Brass?

Schmo

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2022
Arkansas
Hey guys,

I need a little help here. I recently built a 7 SAUM. Unfortunately I built it right before the 7 PRC was released, or I would have built that. Anyway, I load my own, and need some input on brass. I have some ADG, and a little Norma. I know ADG is high quality, but as many know it’s hard to get a hold of. I’m not opposed to Norma, but when you can find it, it’s still expensive.

I have considered switching to Bertram brass, because of the easier availability. My reloading process is to size the brass with a Redding body die, then size the neck with a collet die.

I know that lots of guys that analyze brass say the Bertram has inconsistencies. I’m curious how much those inconsistencies would affect me. I anneal after every firing for consistency, and do the above mentioned reloading process instead of regular dies because I know it gives better results.

I’m a hunter, not a match shooter. Realistically, what variation or deviation would I likely see with Bertram brass. At 100 yards, how much is that going to change my group? I know that a lot of guys won’t touch Bertram, but I’m trying to figure out if it’s sufficient for my use. Of course I want consistency, but if it’s only a tenth of an inch or so group difference at 100 yards, I can’t shoot good enough to see that. Or could it affect 100 yard groups by .25” or more?

Any help here is much appreciated. I’m new to this.