• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your thoughts on the Remington 700 VLS

Re: Your thoughts on the Remington 700 VLS

I have one that shoots very well. I had the stock bedded and run a Jewell trigger in it. If your looking for a first precision rig it will get the job done. The only thing is if you use it hard you will mark up that pretty lamintate stock but such is life. I run mine out to a 1000 without issues using the 175gr SMK. It will definitely get you in the game.

What are you looking for in the rifle? Are you going to make it a target rifle or a tactical rifle or a hunting rifle. If it is a hunting rifle what are you going to be hunting for?

I guess since I have that stock, I basically have the same gun with a custom barrel on it. The laminate stock is a very solid platform, the only thing I think could be improved is the grip, is it is very smooth, it could use some texture. When I am shooting prone/bipod it is a non-issue. Other than the stock this is the same as any other Remington varmint or tactical with the exception of the 5R. They are typically very good shooters, and will outshoot most shooters. Any stock is going to get beat up with use, but this one is almost a shame to paint over...

Overall, if you can get a good deal on it, there shouldn't be anything stopping you.

Dave

Good rifle but be sure to look at Savages too. Savage usually more accurate out of the box and require less aftermarket goodies, hence cheaper.

Yeah Savages are nice. Especially for a regular hunting rifle. Plus the accu-trigger is damn hard to beat for a Factory trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alien319</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you looking for in the rifle? Are you going to make it a target rifle or a tactical rifle or a hunting rifle. If it is a hunting rifle what are you going to be hunting for? </div></div>

I'm looking for an anything rifle!?! If that makes any sense.

I would like to perfect my shooting skills over time. From shooting paper terrorists to hunting deer, varmint, prairie dogs, and whatever else.

I'm just trying to keep all of my options open for the right rifle to start with.

I would probably update the stock to something else.

It is a great all around rifle. I wouldn't hesitate on the right deal. Have you looked at the Rem SPS Varmint? They are a little cheaper and most people are saying they are getting great groups right from the box. I would eventually upgrade the stock but you certainly don't have to. However the VLS has a nicer stock off the bat.

The VLS is a shooter. Jjm84's is a nice one. It's a looker too. I've seen it make some good shots.

CMS

DSC00273.jpg

DSC00275.jpg

DSC00278.jpg

My VLS is a decade old .223. Love the rifle, and it's my goto gun for when it absolutely, positively must be destroyed within 300yd. Can only guess about the .308, but a decade's worth of memory discloses no evidence of its being inadequate in any way.

Greg

I see that Numrich has the VLS stocks for sale ($115.00). I'd prefer a new McMillan Winchester Marksman, but until the funds are available, it looks like the VLS model would make a nice varmint stock to replace the Hogue that came with my .223 Tactical.

I would look for a rem 700 varmint or sendaro depending on the calibur your wanting. I like wood on my shotguns but snythetic rules on a rifle!! HS precision is hard to beat for the money, and they come standard on the rem 700 vssf2 or rem 700 vsf, or 5r, or sendaro! I have heard that the vls are shooters though! Lee

remvls308.jpg

Added Rifle Basix trigger, H.S. stock, and had the bolt trued. Next is a new barrel. Great rifle except I can't seat 175 SMKs to the rifling. Remington puts to much space in there.

I have a VLS in 6mm and an SPS Varmint in .308. The plastic stock is a little more durable and will take the banging better, but doesn't look as nice, nor is as stiff as the laminated. Both of the rifles were sub-moa out of the box.

I have since changed the stock on the SPS to a B$C and bedded it, added a Karsten cheekpiece, shortened the barrel to 20", adjusted the trigger to 3 lbs and mounted a Springfield Armory scope on it. It still shoots sub-moa so I didn't screw anything up, but it looks a lot cooler.

700VLS6mm-2.jpg

Didn't have a picture of the SPS to post. Will try to get one up tonight.

Fast Ed