• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Your thoughts.

6.81star

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2008
Nebraska
My 700P is the only tactical style bolt rifle that I own that is not a hunting rifle besides a couple of ars. Money is tight right now and i would like to start a build on a m40a1. My question is should I sell the 700p and put the funds towards a barrel and htg stock. I already have a another rem action that is a 243 that is ready for a barrel. I really dont like selling my guns once they are already paid for but I got to thinking that is too nice to to tear the barrel off and keep it for the action only. Or should i just restock it to the HTG and sell the HS prec stock. If i do keep it will I really have a need for 2 .308s. I probably will never shoot it enough to need a rebarrel. I hope someone that has gone thru this before can give some insight. thanks

Re: Your thoughts.

its your money, so take this for what its worth. This all depends on how close of a clone you want. You could take the HS Precision stock off and slap an HTG on there and be closer to your clone. Then down the road when money is better(just generalizing) go ahead and send the action off and get it rebarreled and trued. Then drop in it back in your HTG and you are set. The need for 2 308s is completely up to you. I understand what you mean about selling guns, i used to be the same way, then i came here and the addiction took over me

You got the addiction part right. I think though I could always get a 700P if i miss it. still up in the air.

I prefer to just sell the complete rifle if I am going to start a new build. I also prefer not to have 20 rifles in my safe that are pretty much identical....kind of a wast of resources. So, I usually sell and then build with the funds. Think I got it fixed now: built a couple switch barrel rifles. Now the trigger, stock, and action investment can be spread amongst different calibers with a simple barrel change.

If moneys tight I'd chop the barrel on the 700P to 24" and stick it in a HTG stock.

itll be very similiar to a m40a1.

Save up the rest of the cash for the build and when you have the money send the stock and second action in for the real buildup or when a used one pops up in the trading post. Then sell your 700P/clone.

Last I saw a real m40a1 clone was gonna run close to 6,000$ and take 8+ months to build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its your money, so take this for what its worth. This all depends on how close of a clone you want. You could take the HS Precision stock off and slap an HTG on there and be closer to your clone. Then down the road when money is better(just generalizing) go ahead and send the action off and get it rebarreled and trued. Then drop in it back in your HTG and you are set. The need for 2 308s is completely up to you. I understand what you mean about selling guns, i used to be the same way, then i came here and the addiction took over me </div></div>
IMHO, this sums it up pretty well. Your 700P dropped into a HTG stock is a close replica, the barrel is 26" rather than 25" and a 5.5 profile rather than a #7 or M40 profile, different bottom metal and markings. You could sell the spare .243 action and take-off stock from your 700P, use those funds to buy a HTG stock, tune up and chop the barrel on the 700P and you have a good M40A1 starting point with little or no cash outlay. Check McMillan's site for an internet special HTG and paint the camo, try the Sale or Trade Forums, or JW Precision for a molded in camo stock.

When funds permit, just rebarrel and rework that stick to complete your clone to the desired level of authenticity.

If funds were not an issue I would keep the 700P if it was a shooter. I have one that shoots so well I refuse to sell it, although I don't use it nearly enough to justify having a second .308. I tend to shoot in caliber cycles - .308 to .260 to .243 to .223 then start back with the .308 or .260 and run through them again, so I have a couple that will go a year or two without being used.