• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Youth training setup

JH54

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2017
Alaska
So for background, I have 3 daughters all interested in shooting. One, in particular, can't get enough of my long rifles, however, they are way too big and heavy for her to manage. What I would like to do is build something like a CZ 455 trainer with a MPA youth chassis, but I would like to have the capability to grow it with her by buying an additional normal sized stock, however, I can't find any reviews of the youth chassis and was hoping someone here may have tried something similar.

I built a 10/22 and put it in a Mcree chassis with an AR ass end on it. Not sure if you are open to a semi but it handles well and fits all but the smallest of shooters. Very pleased with it. Extend it out and i frequently carry it squirrel hunting. Probably a bit heavy for the youngsters to shoot off hand. I'm not any sort of accomplished shooter but it'll hold MOA or better most days and i've shot steel with it out to 230. I won't lie to you.....its probably the gun i grab the most, very pleased with it-Norcal911

I built a 10/22 and put it in a Mcree chassis with an AR ass end on it. Not sure if you are open to a semi but it handles well and fits all but the smallest of shooters. Very pleased with it. Extend it out and i frequently carry it squirrel hunting. Probably a bit heavy for the youngsters to shoot off hand. I'm not any sort of accomplished shooter but it'll hold MOA or better most days and i've shot steel with it out to 230. I won't lie to you.....its probably the gun i grab the most, very pleased with it-Norcal911

I have actually been looking at a 10/22 chassis, but couldn't find a reduced reach hand grip that would work with child sized hands.

Not sure where to go on that. I put a vertical MPA on it and its great. Had to build a little kydex spacer and do some grinding but its solid now. The MPA is pretty meaty.....ie i think you could shape it down to kid size but i don't think it would reduce the reach. It is typical AR stuff so maybe you could move the little metal triangle forward to reduce the reach? My little ones aren't so little anymore so a little LOP adjustment is all they need. Hindsight being 20/20, i wish my boys spent more time on a non-semi auto.........man can they burn up some ammo. Good luck

I put the Boyd's AT1 stock on the kids 22 LOP adjusts from 12.5" to 14". I did put a thinner recoil pad on it which took it closer to 12" it's slightly to long for my 6yo. My 10y/o daughter can shoot standing and un supported prone with it comfortably.

If you want to (need to) build something for your kids, go for it.

My Wife, I, and another SH poster STP ran a pretty successful Youth Marksmanship Program for several years using borrowed, donated, and personal 22LR bolt action rifles. Very basic rifles, the kind many or most of us learned on ourselves. For example, five of our shooters achieved NRA Rimfire Distinguished Expert ranking using this rifle, or an earlier version of it:

sa-26700-markiif-22lr-boltaction-r-1771285.jpg

Savage Mark II F

I understand the desire to get, trade, build the best, and where our kids are concerned, that goes double. But it's overkill, and can often lead to complexities that distract the learner from the primary task.

There's nothing at all about the marksmanship basics than can't be taught with this sort of rifle with a simple optic mounted.

I have also built a majorly upgraded 10/22, and it shoots knotholes. It's one of my favorite 22's, but not the one I'd put in the hands of a rank newbie. In the beginning, simpler is better, and simplest is best. Big money has little place the process; the best place to put it is into some decent standard velocity .22LR ammunition, and lots of it.

We fed the program rifles CCI Standard Velocity.

When the youngsters have the skills needed to employ the more complex rifles, get that rifle then, not at the very start. The kids are not there to win rimfire matches, they are there to learn the rock bottom basics that deliver match winners.

KISS

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rover31 and ZG47A
If you want to (need to) build something for your kids, go for it.

My Wife, I, and another SH poster STP ran a pretty successful Youth Marksmanship Program for several years using borrowed, donated, and personal 22LR bolt action rifles. Very basic rifles, the kind many or most of us learned on ourselves. For example, five of our shooters achieved NRA Rimfire Distinguished Expert ranking using this rifle, or an earlier version of it:

sa-26700-markiif-22lr-boltaction-r-1771285.jpg

Savage Mark II F

I understand the desire to get, trade, build the best, and where our kids are concerned, that goes double. But it's overkill, and can often lead to complexities that distract the learner from the primary task.

There's nothing at all about the marksmanship basics than can't be taught with this sort of rifle with a simple optic mounted.

I have also built a majorly upgraded 10/22, and it shoots knotholes. It's one of my favorite 22's, but not the one I'd put in the hands of a rank newbie. In the beginning, simpler is better, and simplest is best. Big money has little place the process; the best place to put it is into some decent standard velocity .22LR ammunition, and lots of it.

We fed the program rifles CCI Standard Velocity.

When the youngsters have the skills needed to employ the more complex rifles, get that rifle then, not at the very start. The kids are not there to win rimfire matches, they are there to learn the rock bottom basics that deliver match winners.

KISS

Greg

Definitely understand your points, I have a old Marlin with peep sights for them to learn the basics. The goal for this project is to give my daughter who will spend hours dry firing my long rifles something that looks similar that she can use effectively. Also would like to make it something I can get the most use out of and not end up with several stocks sitting around, which due to my career we have to pack up and move every 2-3 years.

Full marks for having a cogent plan. There are lots of ways to defur felines. They all work.

Greg

When our daughter was younger and wanted a rifle to shoot I got her a Smith and Wesson 15/22.
It is light weight and the stock collapses down the the length of pull is very short.

Reactions: Geno C.
Few different thoughts

1. 10-22 in a Blackhawk axiom stock with a Kidd ULW barrel and trigger job would be light and accurate as well as adjustable

2. CZ 455 in a MPA chassis with a whistlepig barrel or pencil barrel. To keep the cost down

3. Ruger precision rimfire - get the barrel turned down or get a new LW barrel from either Beyer or WP..(both are working on it but nothing yet). - this is what I am doing so we will see if it’s worth it.

By far the easiest and cheapest route is the 10-22 but I wanted a bolt action for their first rifle.

I agree completely the only issue was justifying the cost, otherwise, it should be lighter than a chassis and probably a little more comfortable.

The good news is you can adjust the LOP and shoot it yourself as well.

My youngest boy started with the smith and Wesson 15/22. It was light and could collapse far enough to teach him correct form. I am a firm believer in starting with iron sights. Next he wanted a scope to shoot farther, and he wanted a bolt gun. Ruger precision rimfire was purchased this last spring. He has been loving it! The stock it totally adjustable so he can shoot it at 44" tall and me, at 74" can shoot it, no problem. I'm going to break down and get the Lilja barrel though. Mine shoots fair but better is always better.

I found a Ruger precision rimfire at a LGS we’re going to check out. Then I’m taking her to our next club match and see what seems to spark her interest more. The MPA or a Manners.

I found that for smaller shooters, the cheek riser on the Ruger Precision Rimfire needs about 1/2" to 3/4" more height with a 44 mm scope and "Medium" rings.
I may have to fabricate something for my 9 YO Daughter's RPR to get her a good, firm cheek weld.