• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Yup, Not My Brightest Idea....

still_N_29palms

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2011
Somerville, Alabama
I just thought I would share a moment of pure genius I did yesterday. I know I will have hell to pay for this here and feel free to take all the shots at me you will( I am sure there will be plenty)..... but feel free to chime in with your stupid hunting ideas, bravados, mistakes. After all we all make them.

Perfect day to go hunting, truck pre-packed, up in plenty of time everything going perfectly....
Get into the woods and up a tree with my tree climber. Strap my safety harness up pull up my gear bag strap it to tree followed by my bow. still 20 minutes till light.
Perfect.......

10 minutes till day light a small whitetail is smelling my tree. Still had a couple of spots across its back no mommy in sight.

My stupidity kicks in. Deer might weigh about 20 or 40 pounds total.....ok I can do this I can take this home to my kids.

I pull my rope out of my pack slowly tie a slipknot in it. Spread the hole to about 3 feet and drop the end on the deer......

Ill be dang if I did not lasso the damn thing. Well that little deer has more strength in it than I thought. Now my dilemma. I am in a tree, live deer on one end of rope and threatening to cause me to crash down the tree and I feel like crap cause I have this little thing tied around the chest scared out of its mind. I climb down and have to wrestle this thing to untie it. Yes release it cause I have scared it enough and starting to feel bad at what I have done.

This is where the deer gets even with me. I am kicked, Bit, received a chipped tooth, fat lip, busted nose, and bruised ego; But, I managed to wrestle the thing and untie it. When I release it and re-climb back up my tree, it did not run off. It stayed there walked off a bit and just stood there looking back at me. For the next 3 hours it walked back and forth snorting and blowing. I personally started to think it was gloating on the ass kicking it gave me.

Yes a brief moment of stupidity followed by action. Ok Budweiser you can salute me now......

lmao - that is good stuff!! Enjoyed the read - but, I have to do it....

imstupid.jpg

Hahaha that's hilarious. I would have done the same thing. I've had a small one, I mean like 15 lbs ride in a tractor with me while I was discing before but it wasn't smart enough to fight back.

ROFLMAO...... At least you have a great story for the grand kids.

My friends dad roped an elk from horseback and it didn't go well for him, he is now permanately deaf from that accident.

hahahahahhaah is all I can say....sure would of been funnier if you had caught it on a trail cam in vid mode.

Haha, that's great. It reminds me of a guy we coyote hunted with when I was younger that trapped a turkey against a woven wire fence, I didn't get to see it but I guess it flogged the shit out of him before he got him pinned down

I think it runs in Alabama - my brother was running a foresty crew one day there, and the guys tried to grab a young deer they had "cornered". It ended not so well, everyone there got a split lip or busted something.

I can also report on the cutting of a whitetail throat ( injured deer, no rifle pistol or shotgun available or OK use in that area ), that lasted way too long, and was pretty brutal.......

deer

I know what you mean. I have hit hundreds of deer with a train. Most bounce off the snow plow and end up laying on the right of way crippled up and usually die from internal injuries or bleed to death. Those bastards can look absolutely spent, but once you get close to one, holy chit, katie bar the door. Most of the time, if i get a chance, i will stop and approach with caution. A strike to the temple with a 2 lb hammer usually dispatches one most ricky tick. Hit this little fawn earlier this year. walked back and it was going crazy but couldn't get very far. broken back i reckon. anyhow, i had to take care of it. The big bucks are the scariest to approach. those things are stronger than you would imagine.

I must say, roping one kinda sets you apart from the rest.... badass or dumbass is yet to be determined. lol

Attachments

• 2013-06-26_20-09-39_923.jpg
    2013-06-26_20-09-39_923.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 24
You could have made some serious money on Americas Funniest Homevideos had you filmed it....

That is funny

My uncle and dad were gator hunting back in the 60s and two stories standout:

Middle of the night in a creek and my uncle takes the push pole and gooses a racoon in a tree. It turns around and comes down the pole towards my uncle hella pissed off and they both end up in the water with my dad laughing so hard he about bust a gut.

Story 2:
They sneak up on a sleeping 10ft gator (at night) and hit him over the head with a hammer and pull him into their 14ft johnboat.

All goes well until about 30 minutes later when the gator wakes up.

Thanks for sharing dude. I've got my own stupid moments too. Love it.

At least now I know I am not the only one that has great ideas that end up being, well, less than thought out.

That's just great stuff right there.

My friends dad roped a 100lb black bear and put it in their horse trailer to relocate it. he came out without a scratch tho:) ha

I enjoyed the read as well haha. I've never done anything like that but I have attempted to moved a newborn deer. Little thing was bedded down in Johnson grass on the levee and I didn't want to hit him with the hay cutter. Admittedly I already done this to a calf and not realized it because like deer they stay hid and don't move.